Do you use gloves, wraps, or nothing?

Now, I'm very curious what you guys think about using a pad for squatting.

I think it's great. I commend women who get in the weight room and do real work. And to do it even if on their period, that's dedication.

Seriously though, if you need a pad and don't have some sort of problem with your upper back/shoulders, it's generally indicative of poor technique.

I've lifted the past two days in single digit temperatures in an uninsulated detached garage. It was so cold that I had to wear gloves. At Rippetoes suggestion, I made sure to purchase a black leather purse to match the black gloves. It worked out because it holds my chalk, lifting journal, pens, glasses, and other miscellaneous items.

Lol
someone was pretty mad at my gym when the 2 inch thick pad went
missing. I assume they were, because they left a sign which said something like "whoever
took it is a selfish cnut, bring it back so other people can do their
squats". Made me laugth.

I don't like how they feel and how they look and don't care at all about their signal value (ie what they say about a person. We probably also disagree on what it is they say.)

You're right that I also wouldn't want to suffer a broken nail. Hasn't happened yet, though, and given that it's unlikely to happen, the benefits of lifting weights clearly outweigh this undesirable possibility. So I'll continue to lift.. cautiously.

notsureifseriousorjuststupid.png

Lifting heavy is really good. It's so good I'd do it even if there wasn't anything I could do to prevent calluses! Fortunately, wearing gloves prevents them somewhat and since the only downside appears to be Rippetard's disapproval, wearing them is a no brainer for me!

-

Now, I'm very curious what you guys think about using a pad for squatting.

I know you don't "lift heavy" because people who actually "lift heavy" don't wear gloves.

Weird how every pro strongman and top level powerlifter ever has gotten by without them.

The pad for back squat makes it less stable me thinks.

Gloves, meh. I haven't torn a callous in ages (ever since I invested in chalk in fact), and like Cratos, mine are barely noticeable.

Back