Do you use gloves, wraps, or nothing?

NorCalNinja

Odins Triangle
@red
Reaction score
This past year I have entered into the heavier sector of weights at they gym and lately and wrists have been sore quite often.

I just use the simple Harbinger gloves with no wrist support.

If Im lifting heavy, do I need to get some gloves with wrist support?

thanx in advance.

Read the FAQ

To quote rippetoe 'if you are going to wear gloves, you need to ensure they match your purse'

Dang Disco beat me to the purse joke.

Gloves actually make it harder to grip the bar. They make the diameter a bit larger (because now there is fabric between your had and the bar) and give you a less firm grip.

If you have grip issues get chalk and look into direct grip work (read S&P FAQ) and if you have wrist issues (e.g. when benching) looking into wrist wraps.

Haha not a lot of coaches out there who are as quotable as rip.

I use wraps for my snatch. Most of my class wear them for the clean but I don't like them.

I will occasionally use them for a press, but usually if they are sore from the Olly work.

Have the gloves helped your wrist issues? Just wondering. I don't have experience with them but to me it seems like they would just make your skin not contact with the bar, and you wouldn't develop callouses or strong skin.

I wear gloves b/c I have to have put my hands on people at work on a near daily basis and touching a crackhead when I have broken blisters on my hands is not kewl. I got the idea of mechanix gloves on a crossfit forum of all places and I love using them.

How would gloves help your wrists?

Try wraps for your wrists if you can't find a form that works out on its own, and for any lift, but especially pulling related exercises - CHALK - DO IT. Then toss the gloves.

This past year I have entered into the heavier sector of weights at they gym and lately and wrists have been sore quite often.

I just use the simple Harbinger gloves with no wrist support.

If Im lifting heavy, do I need to get some gloves with wrist support?

thanx in advance.

I read just fine. Contradictory much?

Gloves are worthless except for vanity. They do limit your grip, but they will save you from blisters and calluses.

You could look into wrist wraps if you need support. I've never used them, so I have no opinion.

Why can you not read?

I have wrist issues.

I was trying to be polite. What the hell do gloves have to do with wrist issues? You specifically said that you gloves offer no wrist support, so I asked why you wear gloves then. It is obvious you do not even really know why you are wearing gloves. I can not fathom why any grown man would ever choose to wear gloves unless perhaps he had ripped open a nasty wound in hand and wanted the gloves to protect the stitches.

If you're having wrist issues, why don't you figure out what is causing the issue and address the problem, instead of masking the results. Unless you're benching 300+ I can't imagine you'd need any wrist wraps. Maybe you have weak wrists and need to strengthen them. Maybe your form is shit, and that's causing your issues.

If you're having wrist issues, why don't you figure out what is causing the issue and address the problem, instead of masking the results. Unless you're benching 300+ I can't imagine you'd need any wrist wraps. Maybe you have weak wrists and need to strengthen them. Maybe your form is shit, and that's causing your issues.

It's true. I have really really shitty wrist. They been a problem in every sport I've done. In a weight lifting context two lifts have been problematic for me: Bench press and overhead squat. On the bench, check if you are bending your hands far backwards (towards your head) like an idiot. Most people do, and it takes some practice (and a bit of reading/watching technique) to get it under control.
Beyond that I suggested wraps. I bought some and didn't find a way to use them that I liked. I felt like to get enough support that it made a difference, I had to make tighten them so much that it hurt my actual grip. But wraps are what people use if they want wrist support. Look at what the actually strong people use - wraps, straps, chalk.

the only reason for gloves is to cover an injury....if perhaps grip is the limiting factor when you are holding the bar purchase some straps

Back