Do you use gloves, wraps, or nothing?

The ones that incorporate a wrist wrap prevent the wrist from getting used to training.

Is Rip against the use of wrist wraps while bench pressing?

I'm under the impression that wraps are actually safety equipment when benching very heavy.

Last edited:
I agree chalk is great. And I do feel cool using it. But it's safe to say that today's technology could make ultrathin gloves that would do as good of a job if not better. Pro athletes use gloves almost anytime it is possible: batting gloves for baseball, tennis gloves, golf gloves, etc. I can't speak for strongman, but I know gloves are not allowed in powerlifting or weightlifting competitions. That is the only reason you don't see pro lifters wearing gloves.

I wear wraps and gloves when hitting the bag and sparring. I have wrist wraps I wear on heavy bench/OHP sets if I feel it necessary. I wear a belt on my heaviest squat/DL sets. I also wear gloves when working in cold weather. Oh, and I have straps to do shrugs and spinal decompression.
Batting gloves give you a better grip because the bat is not that heavy. If you used gloves while doing sledgehammer levering or clubbells, they would interfere because you're adding something between skin and object to be gripped.

I can't speak for strongman, but I know gloves are not allowed in powerlifting or weightlifting competitions. That is the only reason you don't see pro lifters wearing gloves.

That is certainly not true. The fact that they are not allowed is not the ONLY reason one does not see them in competition. Am I to believe that if powerlifting feds suddenly allowed gloves, that all the pros would switch to using gloves? Many powerlifters do some training with straps, even though they are not allowed in comps. They do not use gloves in training, because gloves offer no benefit that other grips and chalks offer, other than preventing calluses. Inzer sells a tacky glove for strongman, but it's not the same thing as gym Bro lifting gloves.

I wear nothing.

Edit: Nothing but a few drops of channel no.5

Strength wraps from rogue when I press. I cant compare them to wrist wraps since I've never owned a pair. But the strength wraps are pretty sweet. I can wear them the whole session and simply twist them before I press to tighten them.

And they look cool.

Am I to believe that if powerlifting feds suddenly allowed gloves, that all the pros would switch to using gloves?

Uh, yeah actually. That's exactly what happened with bench shirts. Same with in swimming when those new slick swimsuits came out. Same thing with carbon fiber frames for bicycles, kayaks, canoes, etc. Remember when those over-sized golf clubs came out? How long did it take for all the pros to buy a set? Steroids too, for that matter, until they got regulated.

Uh, yeah actually. That's exactly what happened with bench shirts. Same with in swimming when those new slick swimsuits came out. Same thing with carbon fiber frames for bicycles, kayaks, canoes, etc. Remember when those over-sized golf clubs came out? How long did it take for all the pros to buy a set? Steroids too, for that matter, until they got regulated.

You should stop.

Your posts in this thread are making you look very silly.

You should stop.

Well that is the point. He's trying to get a reaction. I refuse to believe he's serious.

Well that is the point. He's trying to get a reaction. I refuse to believe he's serious.

I wish I had your faith in humanity, but I believe he could be serious.

Never wore wraps or anything, except for the fights. I have thick wrists though ).

I wish I had your faith in humanity, but I believe he could be serious.

haters.jpeg

You mad cuz his gloves are fashionable and chalk ain't.

You mad cuz his gloves are fashionable and chalk ain't.

I'll start caring about what's fashionable when well fitting, practical clothes, are fashionable.

And while I'm dreaming, I'd also like glitter and glittery things to be banned.

You should stop.

I try things myself and make decisions based on my own experiences. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be looking silly to a bunch of superfans who would rather take some strength coach's word as gospel than actually think about things objectively.

Anyway, love the ad hominem everyone, really adds credit to your arguments (or lack thereof). If you want to try and talk about things logically and objectively send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss. But I understand if you'd rather just continue unequivocally dismissing any views contrary to what you believe is "the truth", cause things are a lot simpler that way.

I agree chalk is great. And I do feel cool using it. But it's safe to say that today's technology could make ultrathin gloves that would do as good of a job if not better. Pro athletes use gloves almost anytime it is possible: batting gloves for baseball, tennis gloves, golf gloves, etc. I can't speak for strongman, but I know gloves are not allowed in powerlifting or weightlifting competitions. That is the only reason you don't see pro lifters wearing gloves.

These are stupid comparisons. Rock climbers, gymnasts, pole-vaulters, javelin, shot putters and hammer throwers use chalk, not gloves.

These are stupid comparisons. Rock climbers, gymnasts, pole-vaulters, javelin, shot putters and hammer throwers use chalk, not gloves.

Actually, gymnasts will use hand grips, as seen below. But that's because without them, they'll get ridiculous blisters and torn callouses. Even with them, it can be brutal.

afgb-gr-01-0001_00.jpg

I try things myself and make decisions based on my own experiences. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be looking silly to a bunch of superfans who would rather take some strength coach's word as gospel than actually think about things objectively.

Anyway, love the ad hominem everyone, really adds credit to your arguments (or lack thereof). If you want to try and talk about things logically and objectively send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss. But I understand if you'd rather just continue unequivocally dismissing any views contrary to what you believe is "the truth", cause things are a lot simpler that way.

I'm going to take a guess that you are probably pretty weak.

I'm going to take a guess that you are probably pretty weak.

Normally, I wouldn't like making such guesses, but given that he's comparing baseball bats, tennis rackets and golf clubs to barbells . . .

Actually, gymnasts will use hand grips, as seen below. But that's because without them, they'll get ridiculous blisters and torn callouses. Even with them, it can be brutal.

afgb-gr-01-0001_00.jpg

Noted.

Back