Do you think Sonnen deserves a title shot if he beats Belfort?

Can't believe how many people saying yes lol. Sonnen has gotten to a lot of people. Really sad. All you gotta do is be a decent fighter and run your mouth and you get world title shots all the time.
Lol... So of Sonnen beats the number one contender in the division convincingly.. He doesn't deserve a shot at the belt?

And you are saying all Chael would have done to earn a title shot is run his mouth and be a decent fighter even if he beats the guy who was scheduled to fight for the belt?

Beating the number one contender doesn't count for shit anymore? Is that what you are saying?

By the way, I'm not a Chael fan.

why do people insist on givinig either of these two a crack at Weidman?

They both fight al Light heavyweight, they are both ranked at Light heavyweight (#9 & #13, and Vitor #2 MW too) and they are fighting at Light heavyweight.

Also, Sonnen is 1-3 out of his last 4 IRRC.

This fight has nothing to do with either the MW or LHW title.

Vitor's been the #1 contender for a long time. If Chael beats him I would say he deserves the shot.

Of course there are others waiting as well that are perfectly viable, I would love to see Bisping get a title shot.

It would really between Souza, Rockhold or Sonnen if he wins. Whoever it is, they should just have the other two fight each other for the next shot.

Sonnen would've beat 3 current top 10 MW's if he gets past Vitor. More than any other MW aside from Anderson & Weidman. His losses since 2009: 2 at MW to Silva, 2 at LHW to Jones & Rashad.

No, but the UFC is a joke and will give him one..

People call Pride shady Lol

No, especially considering this is Vitor's first fight without trt and we don't know what to expect from him. Having said that, if Chael gives a phenomenal performance, then a title shot might be justified. I voted no though.

Sonnen said on FS1 that if there were more time it would be at 185 for sure. He also said he, personally, would be treating it like a catchweight, because of the situation.

Take that as you will.

That's all well and good, but the fact that Vitor isn't preparing for a MW fight (where Chael was) changes the way the fight works. What if that has an impact on the fight? Which fighter fares better fighting at MW than LHW? We don't get answers to those questions, so the question of "deserving" really needs to be asked using the same parameters as the weight of title shot being determined. Chael/Vitor at 205 may be a very different fight than Chael/Vitor at 185. I'd question the validity of any results of a fight done at a different weight.

Changing a weight class is fine (Stout and Noons just did that), but that really had zero bearing on the LW (or WW for that matter) class title picture. It's not the same for Chael/Vitor.

That's all well and good, but the fact that Vitor isn't preparing for a MW fight (where Chael was) changes the way the fight works. What if that has an impact on the fight? Which fighter fares better fighting at MW than LHW? We don't get answers to those questions, so the question of "deserving" really needs to be asked using the same parameters as the weight of title shot being determined. Chael/Vitor at 205 may be a very different fight than Chael/Vitor at 185. I'd question the validity of any results of a fight done at a different weight.

Changing a weight class is fine (Stout and Noons just did that), but that really had zero bearing on the LW (or WW for that matter) class title picture. It's not the same for Chael/Vitor.

Good points. I agree.

Where's the "why the fuck not, he's already made a joke of the title match making in the UFC. What's one more unnecessary loss on his record going to hurt?" option.

No, we don't need to see another Chael Rashad or Chael Jones. If he some how wins it's because Vitor is nothing without trt.

There's a line of more worth contenders.

Vitor only has two losses since 2011 and they were to the LHW GOAT and the MW GOAT, respectively. If Chael somehow manages to beat Vitor, he definitely deserves it.

Chael beating the rightful #1 contender at MW should make him the next #1 contender. People like to point to Sonnen's losses... 2 of them being to Rashad and Jones who are LHW's. Other 2 being to the MW GOAT. Sonnen has been #2 MW for a long time and if he beats the #2 MW then he deserves the title shot

Plus, Weidman vs Sonnen would put asses in seats. It's going to happen if he beats Vitor, he deserves it despite his losses at LHW.

With all that being said, Vitor has looked like a murderer, question is up how he will be without TRT but the same is said with Chael. I think Vitor will win at LHW.
Chael isnt a solid LHW, but when Vitor was at 205 he looked solid as hell. (They take TRT very differently)

yes, vitor is the clear #1 contender, and if he knocks him off then he has earned it. plus who doesnt want to see a potential weidman/machida vs sonnen fight?

No, we don't need to see another Chael Rashad or Chael Jones. If he some how wins it's because Vitor is nothing without trt.

There's a line of more worth contenders.

It's for the MW shot at the title. Chael vs Weidman would be a great fight regardless of the outcome.

Edit: I think Weidman beats Machida. But I could be wrong. Machida vs Sonnen would be good.

Considering the fight is happening at light heavyweight instead of middleweight, no he doesn't deserve a shot

Ehh why not. If he can get past Vitor, I'd like to see how he'd do against Weidman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back