Do you think Sonnen deserves a title shot if he beats Belfort?

Vitor is the number one contender. Whomever beats him is the number one contender. Period.

He did beat Okami quite soundly before that and Dan Miller before that (not sure if Dan was ranked in the bottom of the top ten or not, but top 15 I'd think)

Those three wins before the Anderson fight he was the definition of a laynpray'r.

Can't believe how even it is I thought it would be a landslide no .

Vitor is the number one contender. Whomever beats him is the number one contender. Period.

Considering his past 'medical condition' and his current state. Its fair to unrank him.

peoples opinions mean nothing, he does NOT deserve a title shot with a win over Vitor for exactly the same reason Dana won't give Nate a title shot

Why are people still using the word deserve and UFC title shot in the same sentence or posing a question with those words in the same sentence?

Only because it is a discussion forum, I would hope.

It is possible to

A) be fully aware that "deserving" a title shot is completely irrelevant to the functional match making in the UFC.

B) still choose to debate whether a fighter does indeed deserve a title shot, knowing full well that this is not an actual consideration of the UFC.

Of course not. Sonnen has had 3 shots at the title now. He hasn't done anything of note but sub a fat Shogun.

In no way should he be leap frogging Rockhold, Jacare or even Kennedy. Just further proof that UFC only cares about PPV buys and not rankings or what is right for the sport.

Only because it is a discussion forum, I would hope.

It is possible to

A) be fully aware that "deserving" a title shot is completely irrelevant to the functional match making in the UFC.

B) still choose to debate whether a fighter does indeed deserve a title shot, knowing full well that this is not an actual consideration of the UFC.

Thank you.

I honestly dont care, but he has NOTHING and i say NOTHING for Machida/Weidman.

no due to the simple fact that the fight will b contested at a totally different weight class.

Chael is 5-3 at 185 with wins over Bisping and Stann when both were arguable top 10 so he has that going but again, a win over Belfort would add to his 205 resume not his 185. I'm not the one cutting weight but with it being a whole month away, I don't get why UFC didnt require it be at 185 if they want to legitimize this as a 185 lb title contender fight.

hmm lhw fight for top mw contender spot, half you guys saying he deserves based on his prior mw accomplishments prior to silva. Oh the hypocrisy with DC not deserving a lhw title shot after working his way up to arguably the number 2 spot in hw division all while being an undersized hw.

no, but if dana says: winner gets a TS, we all kow what will happen. Chael can sell any fight so it will go down!

He should fight Jacare for the #1 contender but he will get the title shot.

I didn't vote, because honestly I don't know. I wouldn't care, let's put it that way.

If it were at 185, then we could talk. But at 205? No.

Simple question. What do you say, Sherdog?

Vote and discuss!
Well I heard the fight is taking place at 205.. Am I right?

If the fight was at MW and Chael beat Vitor I definitely think he should get a shot. Vitor is the number one contender and beating him earns you a title shot, IMO.

But then again if the fight is at 205 instead of 185.. It kind of makes it a tough call..

I'd be fine with him getting a shot at the belt if he beats Belfort convincingly.

If it were at 185, then we could talk. But at 205? No.

Sonnen said on FS1 that if there were more time it would be at 185 for sure. He also said he, personally, would be treating it like a catchweight, because of the situation.

Take that as you will.

Back