Do you think Sonnen deserves a title shot if he beats Belfort?

Yes. Because Vitor was the challenger earlier. So a win easily puts him in that position.

What is wrong though is him getting a shot at Vitor in the first place. But if he beats him then we have no right to bitch about him getting a shot.

I think it would be a little silly for Chael Sonnen, who will have not fought at 185 for almost two years when this fight happens, is 1-2 since leaving the division, and will be fighting at 205 here anyway to earn a title shot at 185 if he somehow manages to beat Belfort.

But stranger things have happened. Mostly I'd just roll my eyes at it.

If Rockhold, Jacare, Kennedy did not exist then I would say yes.

Chael hasnt won a fight at MW for years.

Really hope he doesnt get a title shot over these other contenders.

I think it would be a little silly for Chael Sonnen, who will have not fought at 185 for almost two years when this fight happens, is 1-2 since leaving the division, and will be fighting at 205 here anyway to earn a title shot at 185 if he somehow manages to beat Belfort.

But stranger things have happened. Mostly I'd just roll my eyes at it.

Vitor's best weight is at 185 so this situation is not ideal. At 185, Chael would be ranked behind at least 4 guys, probably 5 if you include Anderson.

Stranger things have happened, yes. Brown fighting Lawler is one and getting a title shot if he wins is another.

Last edited:
LOL at Kennedy being ahead of him.

At 185 the only guy who would deserve a title shot ahead of him would be Jacare. Who the hell has Kennedy beaten beside that stinker against Bisping? Vitor > Bisping, Gracie & Natal combined

ehhh not really but I wouldn't be outraged by it

Well...idk. Voted yes. It would be hard to deny him, considering his record at MW. Inactivity at 185is the only argument that could be made against him. However, I think other contenders have worked harder more recently and would make for more competitive fights with The Chris. It's kind of a long shot for Chael, anyway. Vitor would have to show up looking very unimpressive to lose this one, imo.

Yes. Vitor destroyed everyone but the champ.

i'm all for the title shot. beating Vitor Belfort is no joke. I would pick Vitor over any MW (except for Weidman and Machida). Vitor crushed bisping, rockhold, and hendo. chael is 1-2 at LHW, but his opponents were at the top of the top. there are more deserving contenders, especially considering chael's gift of a title shot against bones, but again, beating vitor is enough for me.

yes, Vitor's the top contender, but it's not just the Vitor win. The champ's changed now and Sonnen & Vitor were the top contenders for a few years at MW, before Chael decided to go to 205 since he lost twice to Anderson.

Sonnen beat Okami, Marquardt, Bisping and Stann to get those title shots, 3 of them were ranked (possibly Stann as well, barely) along with the beating he put on Anderson.

Can't believe how many people saying yes lol. Sonnen has gotten to a lot of people. Really sad. All you gotta do is be a decent fighter and run your mouth and you get world title shots all the time.

Can't believe how many people saying yes lol. Sonnen has gotten to a lot of people. Really sad. All you gotta do is be a decent fighter and run your mouth and you get world title shots all the time.

he beat Shogun :)

I voted yes because Vitor is the man to beat at MW if you exclude the champ but IMO Jacare would still be more deserving of it than him even if he beats Vitor.

Its also depends on how he beat Vitor. If he just goes his usual control route than I would be less interested than if he finishes Vitor.

No. But if he beats Vitor he gets to hand pick the top 10 MW that he has to beat to get the shot at that point

No.

There are many other people in line. He should never have gotten a shot at Vitor to begin with.

UFC matchmaking at its finest.

No. That would mean he would get 4 title shots in his last 9 fights.

That stat alone is enough to make me say no

So beating Vitor would have no significance ? The same Vitor who has KO'd Bisping, Rockhold and Hendo in a row ?

Vitor is the large favourite, but the win is massive and justifies a title shot.

Absolutely...not. Last 5 Fights, while against very tough opponents, he has a record of 2-3. IMO jacare would be much more interesting

Back