1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Opinion Do you think celebrities should give their political opinions?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Alphaboy, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Alphaboy Gold Belt

Or should they keep it to themselves?

During the Oscars or other award ceremonies are times celebs sometimes discuss political issues. Hell, Joaquin Phoenix upon winning the Academy Award for Best Actor for the movie Joker, did not discuss the movie at all really, he gave a speech on society, humanity, and equal rights.

Brad Pitt made a reference to Trump's impeachment hearing.

Now some may argue: Celebrities have the attention of the entire world, the noble thing to do is to use it to draw attention to causes or social or political issues.

Others may argue: A celebrity's job is to act. We aren't watching them to hear about their opinions on politics or anything else.

Now it seems like most people seem to get upset if a celebrity's political opinion is in conflict with their own beliefs and don't mind as much if the celeb is saying something that they agree with.

It may also appear to some that celebrity speeches are a sort of circle-jerk; a display virtue signalling and repeating safe talking points such as "racism bad", "Donald Trump bad", "Immigrants are human too" and other points that will be popular in a left-leaning Hollywood.

What do you think?

2. Mamba Mentality Sherdog Influencer Banned

Yes, of course. Nobody's opinion should be censored. It's how we get to see who is crazy. It gets to be documented and forever cemented for us to laugh at.

Look at the fake Italian Bobby De Niro, we have video after video of his Trump Derangement Syndrome, it's fucking awesome!

3. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

Sure. They're only human, sort of...

What I would suggest however, is that major political parties don't prop them up and treat them like serious political figures and attach themselves to them.

4. Social Distance Warrior Banned Banned

it's a free country...why not...

and people should be free to ridicule just how hypocritical and stupid their opinions can be.

5. bobgeese Steel Belt

The problem is that our citizens care about them.

<DCrying>

6. ObamaPhoneLady Banned Banned

Everyone should be allowed to give their opinion.

If celeb opinions mattered, Trump wouldn't be president.

It would be nice if celebrities were honest though. Saying walls don't work from behind a wall is fairly obvious bullshit.

7. ObamaPhoneLady Banned Banned

Jay Z for Hillary was my favorite. She would have put him in prison in the 90s lmao.

8. Fawlty Banned Banned

If they want to.

What the fuck kind of question is this?

9. dildos Titanium Belt

just because their reach is much more significant than the average joe, sure they should be allowed to talk about politics if they want.

next question, should youtubers, bloggers or other people with platforms be able to talk about what they want.

10. Oliver C. Red Belt Platinum Member

If they don't mind hurting their careers, sure.

11. Alphaboy Gold Belt

The type of question that you chose to click on and subsequently respond to while simultaneously bitching about.

12. AlexDB9 Banned Banned

I like the Elvis route

It’s like owning a store, why would you risk alienating a percentage of your clientele over bullshit?

13. DragRacer Silver Belt

Sure, if they feel the need to get on a soap box and preach despite being almost certain to alienate half their prospective audience.

Personally I give not a single fuck what any of them think regardless of I agree with them or not.

14. Bloody Pulp Gold Belt

On Twitter or political talk shows sure. It’s just annoying and preachy when they do it at completely non-political events/times when most people don’t want to hear about your politics.

15. K1levelgrappler Yellow Card Yellow Card

The Oscars and all the other awards shows are dogshit industry wankfests. They're really bad, always have been. Some movie stars talking about politics during their acceptance speeches isn't gonna make them any more terrible than they already are.

16. fedoriswar37 Black Belt

Yeah, we should care what the opinions of a bunch of pedos and rapists who live in their sick and twisted versions of reality think about politics.

17. Alphaboy Gold Belt

Lol, that's what Ricky Gervais roasted them all for. They might blackball him after that though.

18. Ottawaguy Steel Belt Platinum Member

Free speech. I just don’t have to listen to it.

19. AnGrYcRoW I've done .... questionable things .

Yes I concur , electing actors or reality tv stars to high office is a really bad idea .

20. Anung Un Rama Idol of Millions Platinum Member

I think anybody who has a platform that can help marginalized people/ issues punch up, should speak up.
    The real question is “should anybody pay attention?”. A: it depends. Are they flailing, shilling, sheltered, or informed?