• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you consider Sakuraba to be a UFC champion?

Didn't Silvera win the EF HW belt? Making it a sort of unification? EF was the first American promotion with weight class based belts I think.

I generally consider the tourny champs champs unless they fought alternates in the final(the fatal flaw of the concept and why it had to die). But here they redid the SF and in Mezgers case the alternate was Tito.
Sak fought the same guy twice. Their first fight lasted 90 seconds and ended due to the ref's error. It was really no better than an alternate showing up to win the final tournament match. I like Sak but I'm hard pressed to say this is the same thing as beating 3 guys in a one night or beating a champ to win a belt.

no
havent seen his name as a UFC champ
freaking easy
dont really care about peoples opinion
facts are facts

Tourney champion is something different than a belt you have to defend to keep.

Yeah, that was him. Couture, Mo Smith, Frank Shamrock and Vitor Belfort also fought at the event. Seems like they could've had a bigger tournament or more interesting matchmaking. Shamrock and Belfort won their matches quickly and easily.
Agreed tourneys were a lot weaker after UFC 13. Except the one Hendo won.

Reactions: mkt
I think to be a ufc champion you have to win an actual belt. Tourney champs were awarded medals I believe, here’s Hendo with his after the Newton fight

View attachment 1048187
That was after they created weight class belts. Before then, there were belts, and trophies at times. Here is a pic of Coleman with 2 tourney belts and the UFC HW, which was quasi-morphed from the old superfight belt.1718514960178.png

That was after they created weight class belts. Before then, there were belts, and trophies at times. Here is a pic of Coleman with 2 tourney belts and the UFC HW, which was quasi-morphed from the old superfight belt.View attachment 1048198

That’s cool I didn’t know about the tourney belts in the beginning, do you consider them ufc titles?

Agreed tourneys were a lot weaker after UFC 13. Except the one Hendo won.
Yeah, by that point they were trying a hybrid model with a mini-tourney and individual matches with HW and LHW champs. The tourneys weren't the same.

Sak fought the same guy twice. Their first fight lasted 90 seconds and ended due to the ref's error. It was really no better than an alternate showing up to win the final tournament match. I like Sak but I'm hard pressed to say this is the same thing as beating 3 guys in a one night or beating a champ to win a belt.
Not only that, but Conan was debuting in the UFC. Sak is not a UFC champion, IMO.

Reactions: mkt
It's not up for anyone's consideration. Sakuraba won a tournament. He was the tournament champion. He was a UFC champion. The language and logic shouldn't be confusing. In time, the UFC would drop the tournaments and go solely with boxing-style weight classes and divisional champions, but that doesn't make the tournament champions not champions. The word is right there: Tournament champion. The end.

86fa0701d2337aec4742981edfb4df84.jpg

Tatsuro Taira says he wants to become the first UFC champion from Japan.

The question is, was Sakuraba already the first UFC champion from Japan?
No, otherwise Fedor would be considered as ALREADY signed to the UFC, and was a UFC champion.

That’s cool I didn’t know about the tourney belts in the beginning, do you consider them ufc titles?
IDK if I would go that far without qualification, but it would not be incorrect to refer to them as former UFC champions. However, I think it would be weird to say that Dan Severn, for example, was the UFC 5 title belt winner. It is just better to say he was the winner of the UFC 5 tourney, etc.

I hate to say it, but in the most strictest of senses, the BMF is a UFC title, and not as legit as the one Hendo won without a belt. I guess I would distinguish it differently, a title is just that, a title--you are the best at something whatever the criteria. A belt is a reward (a kind of trophy) that goes alongside the title.

I hope that makes sense and is not too far out there.

It's not up for anyone's consideration. Sakuraba won a tournament. He was the tournament champion. He was a UFC champion. The language and logic shouldn't be confusing. In time, the UFC would drop the tournaments and go solely with boxing-style weight classes and divisional champions, but that doesn't make the tournament champions not champions. The word is right there: Tournament champion. The end.

You are absolutely correct. I think part of the issues is a lack of belt, which people get to hung up on.

Nope. There were HW and LHW championship fights the same night. One-night tournaments were on their way out, but the UFC held on to them because that's what they were known for originally. The original one-night tournaments had 8 fighters plus alternate fights and no other matches.

It was a HW tournament, but clearly not for the championship belt.

1718516743972.png

Yeah, by that point they were trying a hybrid model with a mini-tourney and individual matches with HW and LHW champs. The tourneys weren't the same.
Yeah, they were goofy. And then they were having a harder time securing the best fighters because of the emergence of PRIDE.

You are absolutely correct. I think part of the issues is a lack of belt, which people get to hung up on.
Randy Couture was the HW belt holder that night. See the screenshot I grabbed from the video after the fight at the same event (Ultimate Japan).

1718517019286.png

You are absolutely correct.

i-know-accept-it.gif

I think part of the issues is a lack of belt, which people get to hung up on.

Which is silly. Tournament champions and divisional champions aren't the same thing and no one is saying that they are. But in what universe is a tournament champion not a champion? There's no getting around that word, so what's to consider? It's silly.

tenor.gif

There were HW and LHW championship fights the same night. One-night tournaments were on their way out, but the UFC held on to them because that's what they were known for originally. The original one-night tournaments had 8 fighters plus alternate fights and no other matches.

It was a HW tournament, but clearly not for the championship belt.

View attachment 1048200

How is this baffling people? Tournaments were held, people won them, they became tournament champions, they were champions. The end. Winning a tournament wasn't the same as winning a divisional title, but no one is saying that it is. Originally, the tournaments were all that there were. Then they created the Superfight title, at which point the tournaments became the pool from which Superfight title contenders would emerge, from Dan Severn winning the UFC 5 tournament and then challenging for the Superfight title at UFC 6 to Oleg Taktarov winning the UFC 6 tournament and then challenging for the Superfight title at UFC 7, etc. But Ken Shamrock winning the Superfight title at UFC 6 had no bearing on Oleg Taktarov winning the UFC 6 tournament and becoming the tournament champion. They both won different things and became different champions. But they were both champions. Likewise, Shogun won the PRIDE MWGP in 2005 while Wanderlei Silva was the PRIDE MW champion. They didn't win/hold the same titles, but they were both champions. Same thing with Cro Cop winning the PRIDE 2006 OWGP. And on and on down the very simple list of tournament champions and divisional champions that MMA orgs have had through the years.

Randy Couture was the HW belt holder that night. See the screenshot I grabbed from the video after the fight at the same event (Ultimate Japan).

View attachment 1048201
The question I was responding too, was he a champion? Not that he was the linear HW champion as was Couture. My background is wrestling, if you win a tournament, you are the champion of that tournament. That was why in the early UFC they were calling Severn a multi-time champion in freestyle, Greco-Roman, and Sambo (I think that was the wording). With that reasoning, Saku was the winner of the UFC Japan HW Tourney, and thus the champion of that event (the tourney). It is separate from Couture.

i-know-accept-it.gif

Which is silly. Tournament champions and divisional champions aren't the same thing and no one is saying that they are. But in what universe is a tournament champion not a champion? There's no getting around that word, so what's to consider? It's silly.

tenor.gif

How is this baffling people? Tournaments were held, people won them, they became tournament champions, they were champions. The end. Winning a tournament wasn't the same as winning a divisional title, but no one is saying that it is. Originally, the tournaments were all that there were. Then they created the Superfight title, at which point the tournaments became the pool from which Superfight title contenders would emerge, from Dan Severn winning the UFC 5 tournament and then challenging for the Superfight title at UFC 6 to Oleg Taktarov winning the UFC 6 tournament and then challenging for the Superfight title at UFC 7, etc. But Ken Shamrock winning the Superfight title at UFC 6 had no bearing on Oleg Taktarov winning the UFC 6 tournament and becoming the tournament champion. They both won different things and became different champions. But they were both champions. Likewise, Shogun won the PRIDE MWGP in 2005 while Wanderlei Silva was the PRIDE MW champion. They didn't win/hold the same titles, but they were both champions. Same thing with Cro Cop winning the PRIDE 2006 OWGP. And on and on down the very simple list of tournament champions and divisional champions that MMA orgs have had through the years.
Good analysis, except Kimo fucked that up.

The question I was responding too, was he a champion? Not that he was the linear HW champion as was Couture. My background is wrestling, if you win a tournament, you are the champion of that tournament. That was why in the early UFC they were calling Severn a multi-time champion in freestyle, Greco-Roman, and Sambo (I think that was the wording). With that reasoning, Saku was the winner of the UFC Japan HW Tourney, and thus the champion of that event (the tourney). It is separate from Couture.
I personally don't consider it a champion once there were official, belt-holding champs in different divisions. It was a carryover from the earliest UFCs, to keep the "one night tournament" energy going, but nothing more than that.

Back