Do you consider Billy Joel as one of the greatest musical artists of all time?

I like Piano Man, but Jesus christ no. And, yes, I do think he's very similar to Elton John.

Assholes and vaginas.

This had me in stitches for a couple minutes.

I like Elton John and Billy Joel. They toured together years ago. The tickets were expensive as fuck though. Makes me wonder what's the best tour of two great musicians together and not just some special attraction dealie.

He has alot of hits.

This had me in stitches for a couple minutes.

I like Elton John and Billy Joel. They toured together years ago. The tickets were expensive as fuck though. Makes me wonder what's the best tour of two great musicians together and not just some special attraction dealie.

That was the most insanely priced concert I had ever heard of; five hundred bucks for a pair or mediocre tickets.

And it sold out three nights here in Montreal.

In a nutshell, Joel is a poor man's - a very poor man's - Elton John. Joel's career best songwriting never touched the best of Elton's first 10 albums. And as a vocalist and a piano player EJ was far and away superior.

Have to agree with this.

Billy Joel never wrote no Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

This thread hasn't been wastelanded yet?

Billy Joel is the anthem for divorced fathers who will never bang again.

Is he the greatest singer of all time, no. Is he the greatest musician chops-wise of all time, no. Greatest songwriter, no. However, he is damn good at all these and has an incredible body of work to back it up, in many different genres/styles. Damn straight he's a "musician's musician." You'd be hard pressed to find any serious musician, from country to progressive death metal, who didn't admire Billy Joel. Plus, those legendary encounters where he had the kid play piano for him onstage and where he showed up to a grade school performing his songs and just chilled in the audience...goes a long way in my book.

When it's all said and done, he's in the upper echelon for sure, yes. I am really struggling to find an artist to compare him to in terms of versatility, longevity, commercial success, etc.

This thread hasn't been wastelanded yet?

Billy Joel is the anthem for divorced fathers who will never bang again.

You don't like Fleetwood Mac either. I feel for you bro.

Yes...and music video for "The Longest Time" is pound for pound best haters gonna hate style video of all time.

Forsure. Loving how he has his own channel on XM right now too.

I'd like to hear someone break down how Elton and Joel are so similar other than the fact that they are guys who sing and play piano.

SEANO IS DROPPING KNOWLEDGE ITT.
Billy Joel doesn't sound like anybody, there is no comparison.
Billy Joel has made a jazz album, a pop album, a greaser album, an emo album, a post modern rock album, and countless other albums that are genre bending.

Elton John can only fantasize of being as diverse as Billy Joel is.

Back