do yo really not care what people think

For me it is a matter of them having the correct/accurate impression of me. If they are off about who I am, then I care. I don't want people thinking I'm a Klan member or something.

But if they know who I actually am and still don't like it, then I don't really care.

I am what I am. I will not act anything different for anyone.

I do want people to like me and to think highly of me.

I can affect peoples opinions by behaving like a good person and helping out everyone. I try to make life easier for everyone else, just because it makes me feel good, it doesn't matter if these people know what I did to them. I do it for myself.

If people don't like me, they can fuck off. If they do, then great.

End of the day, if I'm pleased with myself that's all that matters.

I care enough to be bothered I don't care enough to do anything about, best case scenario I explain myself....but I am not very good at being what other want and the attempts I have made ended so badly that I am unlikely to ever make that move again.

I don't care what strangers think, mainly because they're probably too wrapped up in their own lives to give a damn what I'm doing.

But I care what people I regularly interact with think.

For me it is a matter of them having the correct/accurate impression of me. If they are off about who I am, then I care. I don't want people thinking I'm a Klan member or something.

But if they know who I actually am and still don't like it, then I don't really care.

This. It's annoying when people think you're something completely different just because they thought so or they heard so.

There's people that I don't like, but it's really not personal. It's just completely different values etc. I don't go on hating people because of hear say, but some people just are that way.

People will think more highly of you if you don't care what they think.

I think what people typically mean when then say "I don't care what people think of me" is that they don't try to be someone that they are not just to impress others. If you truly didn't care what anyone else thought of you, then you would be walking around basically looking like a homeless person.

I don't go out of my way to impress people... but I do keep myself well groomed, reasonably well dressed, and tend to be friendly towards most.

I think what people typically mean when then say "I don't care what people think of me" is that they don't try to be someone that they are not just to impress others. If you truly didn't care what anyone else thought of you, then you would be walking around basically looking like a homeless person.
What makes you think that? I still have self respect.

Yeah, I pretty much do. It's not exactly altruistic though - I care about what people think of me because that helps informs my actions and attitudes, which I exhibit in order for people to like me, or to be more gracious/professional/courteous to me. I want my wife to be continuously attracted to me, I want my waiter to give me better service, I want my co-workers to enjoy working with me, I want my bosses to be impressed by me, etc. With strangers on the street, I just don't want them to think I'm a jerk, so I'll walk on the right, not shove, hold doors, offer my seat, that sort of thing.

I don't live my life for others by any stretch, but I acknowledge fully that I exist in a world with others, so I might as well get along with them.

You can't have self respect walking around looking whatever you want to look like? Do you only respect yourself if you dress "nicely" and not like a "bum?"

I don't see how you could develop an interest in your own external appearance, if you were truly asocial. I'm not sure how the concept of respect would even be meaningful to such a person.

I don't see how you could develop an interest in your own external appearance, if you were truly asocial. I'm not sure how the concept of respect would even be meaningful to such a person.
My outward appearance is a reflection of my inner self. If I am confident, I'm not going to walk around in sweats and a meatball stained t-shirt.

You can't have self respect walking around looking whatever you want to look like? Do you only respect yourself if you dress "nicely" and not like a "bum?"
Read the above comment. I like to look good. It makes me feel better about myself.

I can't imagine any normal person not caring what others think about them.

I care what my bosses think of me.

Everyone else can either accept me for who I am, or fuck off.

Maybe family, friends and co workers.

I don't really care what some random person i'll prob never see again thinks.

But that doesn't mean I act like a dick to people I will never see again.

my outward appearance is a reflection of my inner self. If i am confident, i'm not going to walk around in sweats and a meatball stained t-shirt.

+1.

I care what my bosses think of me.
You want them to think you are a smart and diligent worker, right? That has more to do with your ego than the perception of others. It harkens back to that previous poster's comment about someone not having an accurate representation of you. In your mind, you are awesome, and when people see you as anything less than awesome, you feel compelled to impress them to win back your self worth.

Back