Opinion Diversity in hiring - Should we hire based on skin color, sexual preference, disability status - or the content of someone's character?

DEI creates an environment where everyone who meets the needs of the job is looked at. People who are complaining about this have probably been given preferential treatment at some point. They see the firm grasp on where their privilege has got them and have to lie about what the programs are about.

Elon crying hard about this is actually really funny. If he has never hired family members or friends or even been hired by family or friends, he is a hypocrite.
lol you must have advanced cte

MLK absolutely preached a colorblind society. The "dream" was that you'd just see a human being. I've seen people articles in recent years (and today actually) say that MLK would support DEI and the colorblind stuff is taking his words out of context. I thought he was pretty clear that he didn't want people to see a black person and treat them different from anyone else.

I think DEI was well meaning because it's trying to give opportunity to people that may not have had those options in the past or need to catch up. Where I draw the line is when you discriminate on others based on race. That's simply racist. There are ways to help people without being racist towards. We should strive for true equal opportunity and is long is that is the case, you shouldn't need DEI.

Are you using the dream speech to say MLK didn't think their should be special treatment for black people? Seriously?

Have you not read a single thing he said after that speech?

Ah, running away i see. you kinda wanted that ever since i asked "Why?".
@Lucas1980 also asked you why, you seem to have forgotten to answer.
clearly he also "conceded".

Lol at asking for a friend to come hang out with you after getting trounced.

<36>

Hop on your bike and go hang out with your fellow 12 year olds. A karate forum is clearly too much for you.

My question to that would simply be then how do you differentiate between when a department is predominantly white because they had superior "not easily quantifiable" skills compared to "minorities are being excluded because look at the lack of their representation"? If two people are great on paper but in the interview one clearly presents themselves as a better communicator and I need someone to travel to client sites, why would I care about their skin color or gender? I don't think at least in the financial world that most people care at all as much as the claims say, it's all a numbers game.

If my team ends up all white or all black I'm trying to make money and get high performance out of them. My boss does the same with me. If I was forced to hire a certain amount of women or whatever for example regardless of the impression I received on their non-quantifiable skills I think that would be more detrimental to team building. I think "ideally" a diverse team of highly qualified high performers is "ideal", as high performance will always get things done, but diversity has to fall in place rather than be enforced or you risk quality which defeats the whole purpose.

TLDR: If a team ends up 9/10 white and Asian I don't see any issue at all than if a team was 9/10 Hispanic/black if they're great performers. You hire the best and if your team is diverse even better.

The short answer is, there's no way to know for sure the underlined. You just have to be honest and use a little common sense, which is the hard part.

For example, the NFL has a rule where they have to interview minority coaches when looking to fill a position. The league has been majority black for decades, yet 90%+ of its coaches were white until a couple of years ago. Of course, owners and managers swore up and down that they always chose the best and most qualified and had no biases but it just makes little sense that so many black people could be interested enough in the sport to become players at the highest levels, yet so few had the interest or capacity to be coaches (unless you're an old school racist that thinks blacks just don't have the intelligence or leadership capacity to be coaches, in which case this whole conversation is moot).

The same idea applies for other fields as well. Currently, the nonwhite population under the age of about 40 is something like 35%, and higher in the big cities. So if the management of a big company is 90% white males, that tells you something else is at play and should be addressed. This isn't the 1930s anymore when only white guys had the necessary qualifications for professional jobs.

Lol at asking for a friend to come hang out with you after getting trounced.

<36>

Hop on your bike and go hang out with your fellow 12 year olds. A karate forum is clearly too much for you.
He's so emotionally bitter about everything I had to ignore cause I was bored to death and got depressions myself.

Should we follow the words of the great MLKJ: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Was the great MLKJr a little outdated and behind his times? Is this now a racist policy? It seems many corporations are rushing to hire people based on their skin color, sexual preference, or disability status.

Has the pendulum swung too far in the other direction? Wouldn't judging and hiring people simply based on the content of their character be best for corporations and America? Doesn't the NBA already do this?

Are programs like Affirmative action & DEI helping or hurting corporations & America?

I think one of the first War Room threads I ever got involved in was basically this.

And the answer's still the same: if you want the same privileged failures to keep getting all the top jobs and retaining all the wealth all the time (because their rich parents paid for the most expensive schooling, which is where 'the best resumé comes in), then yes, you should oppose affirmative action at all costs.

But that sounds incredibly stupid to me.

It's what the rich elite would want, though. Perpetuate their ineffective, complacent leadership for all time.

The short answer is, there's no way to know for sure the underlined. You just have to be honest and use a little common sense, which is the hard part.

For example, the NFL has a rule where they have to interview minority coaches when looking to fill a position. The league has been majority black for decades, yet 90%+ of its coaches were white until a couple of years ago. Of course, owners and managers swore up and down that they always chose the best and most qualified and had no biases but it just makes little sense that so many black people could be interested enough in the sport to become players at the highest levels, yet so few had the interest or capacity to be coaches (unless you're an old school racist that thinks blacks just don't have the intelligence or leadership capacity to be coaches, in which case this whole conversation is moot).

The same idea applies for other fields as well. Currently, the nonwhite population under the age of about 40 is something like 35%, and higher in the big cities. So if the management of a big company is 90% white males, that tells you something else is at play and should be addressed. This isn't the 1930s anymore when only white guys had the necessary qualifications for professional jobs.

Well I have to admit, that NFL coaching reference is one of the best "let me refer you to this example" I've read in a long time.

DEI = Racism, Sexism, etc

Whomever is most qualified for a position should get the job. Period.

You're either in favor of meritocracy, or you're in favor of jobs being denied based on their sex, race, sexuality, etc.

There's no middleground.
Small-minded thinking. This is capitalism and whomever helps my company make the most money is qualified for the position. If a candidate is less experienced then another but adds diversity to my team that can help a larger group of demographics not currently on my payroll relate to my company and buy my product I can hire them, simply train them a little more, and enjoy more profits. Maybe their insights in these demographics will help my business evolve.

People over-estimate the value of their experience sometimes and under estimate how easy it can be to train a person the way you like it done.

DEI creates an environment where everyone who meets the needs of the job is looked at. People who are complaining about this have probably been given preferential treatment at some point. They see the firm grasp on where their privilege has got them and have to lie about what the programs are about.

Elon crying hard about this is actually really funny. If he has never hired family members or friends or even been hired by family or friends, he is a hypocrite.

You've also got to think about managers who might not be able to hire the best person for the job.

These DEI schemes are just corporate appeasement anyway, like a "ticket to do business" or something. No one cares really, it's just ticking a box.

I’m aware of them. I think those goals are set based on the make up of the region they are in. If you have a properly run company, the workforce should in most cases
Closely resemble the area and your customer base.

Bullshit. Absolute fucking bullshit. There are many labour sectors which are heavily biased towards certain demographics for various reasons, nursing for instance is mostly women and construction is almost entirely men. No amount of DIE or equality policies will ever give you a 50/50 gender split without massively fucking up the competence of the workforce. Those 2 fields are the most obvious, but there's many others such as tech, heavy industry, and investment banking where the pool of available workers is heavily skewed towards certain demographics.

The FAA's diversity equity standard has resulted in the hiring of air traffic controllers with severe cognitive issues.

DEI = Racism, Sexism, etc

Whomever is most qualified for a position should get the job. Period.

You're either in favor of meritocracy, or you're in favor of jobs being denied based on their sex, race, sexuality, etc.

There's no middleground.

What about a police force, don't you think a police force should roughly reflect the ethnic makeup of the population they serve?

The FAA's diversity equity standard has resulted in the hiring of air traffic controllers with severe cognitive issues.
So prior to diversity, the FAA didn’t ever hire air traffic controllers with cognitive issues?

• Haha
Reactions: N13
Bullshit. Absolute fucking bullshit. There are many labour sectors which are heavily biased towards certain demographics for various reasons, nursing for instance is mostly women and construction is almost entirely men. No amount of DIE or equality policies will ever give you a 50/50 gender split without massively fucking up the competence of the workforce. Those 2 fields are the most obvious, but there's many others such as tech, heavy industry, and investment banking where the pool of available workers is heavily skewed towards certain demographics.
I don’t think you are proving the point you think you are proving.

My line of work does not attract a diverse talent pool. To combat that, the company will do "diversity hires". People of color or females will get jobs over more qualified people. In all my years I have never seen it work out. We call then 6 monthers. They get overwhelmed and quit in 6 months. You need to hire the best person for the job, regardless of the demographic of the workforce. The NBA isn't hiring more white players because the league is 75% black. They don't get more Asians or Hispanics so the league can be more diverse.That does not mean steps need to be taken to make sure there is a fair interview process. The company should not block people from interviews due to race or gender. But they need to hire based on qualifications and skills alone.
The NBA invests a lot of money in places like Asia in hopes to grow the talent and interest in the region. It does not simply spend its money signing the most skilled players to succeed. It spends money to diversify it’s talent pool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammywells
Back