Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you enjoy watching movies that you have already seen before under different title, then go ahead and see The Equalizer, but if you have some late night craving for originality, I dont recommend it, this is Denzel + company going through the motions, as average as it gets cinema. 5/10

The Imitation Game - 8/10

Probably not the best strictly as a film but gets bonus points for the significance of the subject matter.

This is a long one and I won't be able to pick out the individual spoilers so I'll just tag the whole thing:

Benedict does as well as we've come to expect from his handling of awkward characters; he weaves back and forth between authoritative and pitiful while presenting a gentle emotionality alongside an intense and encompassing passion. Knightly is much more likable here as the stubbornly successful female than in anything else I've seen her in, and the supporting cast does well with the screen time they're given.

There's a lot going on in this film, perhaps too much, as the plot never seems to rest heavily enough on one problem to really pull it into focus. Turing is an arrogant jerk for a few scenes but has the rest of his crew coming to his defense a short time later. War-time shots emphasized the urgency of the task at hand but never to the point where the pressure and the panic broke through so that I felt them myself. The high points - his proposal, his success - are never too high, and the low points - the the brother's dilemma, the confrontation about the spy, the ending - aren't too low, because it's on to the next thing right away. But the events themselves are each important and I wouldn't have wanted them to be skipped over for extra drama.

The chronology is not straightforward and I did get mixed up a few times, but it serves to empower one of my favourite scenes. Turing's description of his eponymous test will no doubt get the brunt of the attention of the people not already familiar with the context. I don't think that scene would have been as strong if it had begun the film - you really needed to see him at work first to know that you had to pay close attention - but I do feel like that's where it properly belonged. His final line and expression at the end of the interrogation was perfect and foreboding.

The most important and frustrating part of the film for me was the homosexuality issue and the sort of indifference that it was treated with by the characters. The detective is the only one who really has what I would call the *good* reaction to the whole circumstance, but he communicates it as disappointment with where he thought his case was headed as opposed to hesitance about prosecuting something so ultimately trivial. I felt so much disgust and vitriol at the end for the utter waste of the great intelligence and amazing life that were Alan Turing's and had no one to take it out on. This was no cathartic victory, and the little blurb at the end about the Queen's fucking "pardon" in 2013 was the cherry on the cake of indignation that I felt. I'm interested to see if anyone else has a similar reaction.

Anyways, I came away feeling very sad and miserable but also inspired by the story and by the great feat of effort and thinking that not only cracked the code but forever changed the world. Everyone should know about this, really. And we shouldn't need an offended Kiera Knightly at the end to communicate the wrong - but of course we shouldn't need to watch a genius fade into a suicidal demise for us to get it either. Damn shame.

edit: I should say, as a sort of rejoinder, that the film doesn't make it seem like he killed himself solely because of his homosexuality, and in fact I appreciated being shown how the burdens of secrecy and difficult personal relationships wore him down. Maybe that had something to do with his willingness to contemplate the possibility of artificial minds and people. I also thought the "motto" of the film was bandied about a little too casually at times. Okay now I'm done.

Last edited:
The Babadook 6.5/10

babadook.jpg

Low score, but Ill get to why in a second..

This is how I like my horror movies. A creepy monster, still shots, no cheese, and QUIETNESS. Hardly any music is heard throughout this movie and its perfect for not distracting away from the mystery behind the babadook.

Story is about a broken family that lost their father in a car accident before the only child was born. Since then, the mother is lonely as fuck and the boy is afraid of monsters. One in particular and the mother, along with us, play out the hysteria finding out if what the boy is talking about is real. Not a smart, clever plot, but coupled with the right horror elements, it doesnt have to be science.

I had this movie as a 8 or even a 9. Then a couple things happened. Once to the boy, once to the mother, then the ending happened. It ruined it for me.

The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

A solid sendoff for the trilogy. I could nitpick it to death, sure, but I can say with confidence that I was more often having a good time watching this as opposed to being upset with its faults. It's easily the fastest paced of the Middle Earth films, clocking in at a little under two and a half hours, and it felt that way. The movie starts with a bang and after a lull for the first hour, the massive battle for Erebor hits with only a few pauses in between. The pacing does make for spells where Bilbo and Thorin aren't to be seen which is disappointing since they're the most compelling characters there, but they still gave Thorin's character enough of an arc to leave me invested in the inevitable Thorin/Azog throwdown.

I still don't get why Evangeline Lilly's character was needed for these movies outside of preventing them from being a complete sausage fest. The inclusion of her OC along with Legolas really didn't bring anything to the film, but at least they were really only around for a brief period in the beginning and then near the end. Sure their presence leads in to why Legolas becomes so prominent in the LOTR films, but this movie didn't need any of that, or Tauriel's forced love triangle.

Flaws aside though, I'm glad I saw this film in theaters. Seeing it in IMAX 3-D with the increased framerate was an interesting experience to say the least and outside of a handful of shots that looked way too video-gamey for my tastes, the visuals are astounding.

7/10

Last edited:
Hobbit 3 The Battle of 5 Armies - 10/10

only because I was stoned and saw it in IMAX 3D

Finally saw Snowpeircer on netflix, pretty damn good 8/10

Whiplash 10/10

Thanks to willhaven720 for the recommendation

Unbroken is painfully Dull suggest people watch the Imitation game instead

Leaving Las Vegas 8/10

Didn't watch this before because someone dissuaded me from it saying it was too depressing.

I DON'T GIVE A SHIT. It was awesome.

Where is this version of nicholas cage these days?

He's been making terrible movies lately.

Such a good actor.

And Elizabeth Shue is such a darling in this movie.

Loved it.

hobbit3

so corny and half the time o though i was watching a youtube fan vid. wtf

Guardians fo the Galaxy 7/10

Decent action and some laughs but nothing special.

The machine 7.8/10

Good movie.
R and d on artificial intelligence leads to the development of a powerful artifical entity.

The Drop - 10/10

Shockingly good movie! Tom Hardy nailed the role.

I watched two comic book movies:

The Wolverine (2013) - 7/10, a good movie
The Dark Knight (2008) - 6/10, an overrated movie of the first order and The Wolverine was a better film

Also seen The Prestige (2006) - 5/10, it seems Nolan movies just doesn't suit my taste

IMO The Wolverine (2013) was the best of that particular comic. I wouldn't say it was better than The Dark Knight, but it was good.

The Prestige IS overrated.
If not for David Bowie playing Tesla, it would have bored me to tears.
I preferred The Illusionist.

I thought both were cheesey . . . "Magic" is cheesey enough, but then to build movies around the cheese lol? They weren't for me. I wasn't wowed.

I don't know which to do next.

Alien
Lethal Weapon
Bourne
Die Hard

Why are you doing movies that everyone on Sherdog (and planet earth for that matter) has seen 40+ times since every movie you post about has been rerun to death on basic cable channel for an eternity?

Whenever I see a: Star Wars, Alien, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Batman, Bourne thread I run in the opposite direction out of fear of death-induced boredom (there's been likely hundreds of threads on Sherdog devoted to these).

I'll give you credit for the Harry Potter series because most in here aren't 12 year old girls.

*sorry that ^^^ all may have been a bit harsh . . . But I let all my thoughts out regarding the regurgitation of those movies lol. Please forgives.*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back