Not open for further replies.
It Follows
-.jpg

I highly recommend this to everyone. 9/10

Im scared of watching horror movies.
So no.

I finally got around to seeing It Follows:

8/10

Overall Id say it was good, though unfortunately, I was underwhelmed and a little disappointed. I definitely expected more. At moments I felt so badly like I wanted to give this film a 10/10, but then at other times it fell short and didn't deliver.

Further review:

Soundtrack = 10/10

Acting = 9/10

Cinematography = 10/10

Pacing = 9/10 (would have been a 10/10 but then the last 15-20 minutes sort of dragged on a bit and felt scattered)

Tension = 8.5/10 (one of the strong-points up until about 2/3 of the way through . . . As the film went on I started to lose fear in the follower and consequently the tension dropped off)

Antagonist = 7/10 (early on it felt great, but by about 2/3 of the way through the film it just started to feel meh)

Plot = 7.5/10 (about the same as the point I made about the antagonist)

I felt the first half hour to an hour was great and either a 9/10 or 10/10 or somewhere in between. Maybe it was the fact that I had seen the Slender man in the trailer or something but that whole scene in the house felt anti-climactic. And even when the main actress went to the kitchen (I think it was before that), that whole scene could have been much scarier.

Too, the boathouse scene began to feel a bit contrived and even predictable - utilizing even a jump-scare tactic there with the kid poking his head through the hole in the door.

And then there was the pool scene at the end. That part, the major pinnacle or what-have-you of the film fell really flat/short.

A) who was the follower at that point and why did the main actress seem so scared then all of a sudden?

B) why did the whole electricution thing not work?

C) regardless of A and B, the scene just wasn't that scary and pretty much a letdown.

Overall, I think the biggest problem for me with the film was the lack of consistent compelling and scary villain/antagonist. It was more a "concept," sure . . . But none of the actualizations didn't strike that much terror into the viewer. The old lady and Slender man were probably the scarierst.

Also, the one scene where the dude's mother grinds on him and then takes his soul or whatever was just sort of "okay." It wasn't as terrifying as it could be.

It might overall sound like I'm ragging hard on the film, but it's just because it could have been soooo much more IMO.

For 90% of the film I was all over it . . . And then it didn't seem all that scary. It actually had a tiny feel of "The Happening" to it (for lack of delivery).

Also, a funny part:

After final dude sleeps with her right near the end he asks her, "Do you feel any different?" I almost could hear her saying before she spoke, "Like a slut." Haha, she had just slept with at least 4 different guys in a matter of days.

One final point, main blonde actress chick (Maika Monroe) sure looks like Amber Heard. I thought maybe she was her younger sister or something.

And btw, it reminded me a bit of a horror version of Drive lol (mostly the soundtrack and pacing).

I finally got around to seeing It Follows:

8/10

Overall Id say it was good, though unfortunately, I was underwhelmed and a little disappointed. I definitely expected more. At moments I felt so badly like I wanted to give this film a 10/10, but then at other times it fell short and didn't deliver.

Further review:

Soundtrack = 10/10

Acting = 9/10

Cinematography = 10/10

Pacing = 9/10 (would have been a 10/10 but then the last 15-20 minutes sort of dragged on a bit and felt scattered)

Tension = 8.5/10 (one of the strong-points up until about 2/3 of the way through . . . As the film went on I started to lose fear in the follower and consequently the tension dropped off)

Antagonist = 7/10 (early on it felt great, but by about 2/3 of the way through the film it just started to feel meh)

Plot = 7.5/10 (about the same as the point I made about the antagonist)

I felt the first half hour to an hour was great and either a 9/10 or 10/10 or somewhere in between. Maybe it was the fact that I had seen the Slender man in the trailer or something but that whole scene in the house felt anti-climactic. And even when the main actress went to the kitchen (I think it was before that), that whole scene could have been much scarier.

Too, the boathouse scene began to feel a bit contrived and even predictable - utilizing even a jump-scare tactic there with the kid poking his head through the hole in the door.

And then there was the pool scene at the end. That part, the major pinnacle or what-have-you of the film fell really flat/short.

A) who was the follower at that point and why did the main actress seem so scared then all of a sudden?

B) why did the whole electricution thing not work?

C) regardless of A and B, the scene just wasn't that scary and pretty much a letdown.

Overall, I think the biggest problem for me with the film was the lack of consistent compelling and scary villain/antagonist. It was more a "concept," sure . . . But none of the actualizations didn't strike that much terror into the viewer. The old lady and Slender man were probably the scarierst.

Also, the one scene where the dude's mother grinds on him and then takes his soul or whatever was just sort of "okay." It wasn't as terrifying as it could be.

It might overall sound like I'm ragging hard on the film, but it's just because it could have been soooo much more IMO.

For 90% of the film I was all over it . . . And then it didn't seem all that scary. It actually had a tiny feel of "The Happening" to it (for lack of delivery).

Also, a funny part:

After final dude sleeps with her right near the end he asks her, "Do you feel any different?" I almost could hear her saying before she spoke, "Like a slut." Haha, she had just slept with at least 4 different guys in a matter of days.

One final point, main blonde actress chick (Maika Monroe) sure looks like Amber Heard. I thought maybe she was her younger sister or something.

And btw, it reminded me a bit of a horror version of Drive lol (mostly the soundtrack and pacing).

Holy shit, leave Drive out of this review. That shits not funny.

Like in the other thread, I was fine with the pool scene. It didnt make much sense, but the movie didnt in totality. I was entertained and thats whats important. But since were in this spoiler bracket, I might as well go into the pool scene.

It was supposed to be her father during the whole attack. Why it didnt follow her into the pool, I dont know. God knows it was fine once it got in. Then, it had been shot in the head at the beach, outside the pool, then once more within the water. Why did THAT do it? I asked this among other details of the time frame of the movie. Everyone was fixated on the time frame, but I noticed bodies of water being as apparent. The first bitch dies on the beach, our heroin likes to swim in her pool, they retreat to a beach house, when that kid got fuck killed by his hot mom, I remember water coming out of her puss, then finally, the pool scene. Shes back in the pool, it didnt want to go in, it goes in, gets shot, then its all blood. Whats the story with the water?

Oh yeah. Everybody likes dragons bro. It would have been even cooler if they shot laser beams from their head.

They didn't breathe fire. They didn't even have wings. Lame fake ass dragons.

The Lone Ranger 2/10

It's actually still on one of the movie channels, but I turned it off because it's just awful. I'd say Johnny Depp's performance is borderline racist, the way he acts like an over the top, nutty native American. Everything else sucked too. The "Lone Ranger" is supposed to be a badass. The character Armie Hammer plays is a fucking vagina.

Holy shit, leave Drive out of this review. That shits not funny.

Like in the other thread, I was fine with the pool scene. It didnt make much sense, but the movie didnt in totality. I was entertained and thats whats important. But since were in this spoiler bracket, I might as well go into the pool scene.

It was supposed to be her father during the whole attack. Why it didnt follow her into the pool, I dont know. God knows it was fine once it got in. Then, it had been shot in the head at the beach, outside the pool, then once more within the water. Why did THAT do it? I asked this among other details of the time frame of the movie. Everyone was fixated on the time frame, but I noticed bodies of water being as apparent. The first bitch dies on the beach, our heroin likes to swim in her pool, they retreat to a beach house, when that kid got fuck killed by his hot mom, I remember water coming out of her puss, then finally, the pool scene. Shes back in the pool, it didnt want to go in, it goes in, gets shot, then its all blood. Whats the story with the water?

Btw, for me, Drive is one of my favourite movies ever so I didn't mean it in a negative way.

Regarding what you said, man I didn't even notice the many references:

First, I didn't realize that was her dad. And quite frankly there were so few reasons why a person would get that connection - I think there was just the one picture, wasn't there?

Outside of that, yeah, I didn't catch all the water stuff. Though I just thought the girl in the kitchen was just endlessly peeing herself.

And regarding all the things that didn't add up in the pool scene . . .

Another thing I couldn't figure out, was was the girl going to die/commit suicide along with The Follower? Like were they going to electrocute them together? It could be that she was just going to draw it in and then as it slowly walked toward her swim quickly to the edge and climb out and everyone shove the electrical appliances in. Regardless, it was all a bit odd. Equally odd was why none of them worked - did he switch off a breaker? None of that was clear. And like you say, it got shot in the head and then got up again at the beach, yet the water shot (s) worked.

Bottom line, for me the pool scene wasn't scary enough. The follower could have been a lot more terrifying looking there etc.

Oh, and the whole concept of entrapment should have been a lot more obvious to anyone in that position. There's probably be better and easier ways of doing it.

Finally, another plot-hole, was when she took off from the beach-house in the blue station-wagon, all she did in her "crash" was swerve off the road and through a mailbox into a corn-field. Big whoopty do lol. Next thing we know she's in a hospital with a broken arm, a bandage on her noggin etc. she got quite injured in that relatively harmless crash.

Agh, one more thing . . .

What was that about the pool in her back yard all of a sudden empty with a side of it taken out like a follower had torn it open and the water drained. Yet it was only a day or two earlier she was swimming in it with her cast. There was nothing that even that showed what happened or why the scene of it emptied and filled with leaves and waterless, why that scene was included? Actually, prior to that, when she's in the pool, she looks sort of wistfully at a shed and garbage can - I kept expecting the follower to show itself but nothing. There were weird and seemingly pointless moments like this.

Last edited:
The Lone Ranger 2/10

It's actually still on one of the movie channels, but I turned it off because it's just awful. I'd say Johnny Depp's performance is borderline racist, the way he acts like an over the top, nutty native American. Everything else sucked too. The "Lone Ranger" is supposed to be a badass. The character Armie Hammer plays is a fucking vagina.

Agreed. It was awwwwwful. And it dragged on for an eternity. I actually rented it when visiting my old folks who are in their 80s because I knew my dad used to be into the Lone Ranger growing up. But it was so dreadfully bad even my dad couldn't get into it. We were all patiently hoping the unrealistic nonsense would end. Just terrible. And it was odd, because there were moments where it was all Disney and family-ish, yet there were the moments where the over-the-top bad guys acted almost R-rated in the way they killed and desecrated the bodies. It was a freaking strange movie that crossed back and forth between genres and ratings.

I also agree with your take on Depp as Tonto. It was just bizarre. I even found the lengthy museum scenes distracting, laboured, didactic and boring.

It Follows - 6/10

DownloadImage.jpg

After seeing this I can definitely see the appeal and why so many people dug it so much, but I just felt like it wasn't consistent enough to be considered a great horror flick. There were parts that worked, and I'll admit that when this movie worked it worked very well, had me a little scared a few times and I rarely ever get remotely scared when it comes to films.

But my main beef with the movie is that the build up and the filler between the tense scenes just didn't work at all imo. There were so many scenes that felt incredibly pointless and seemed like they were only thrown in to try and give the film an artsy/hipster feel. There were a few moments where I started thinking "Ok I hate this movie, it's just trying too damn hard." but then there would be a scene that really caught me and would make me change my mind.

I have no problem with slow paced films that rely more on the atmosphere and soundtrack to move the story along rather than throwing out dialogue and action. Drive is one of my favorite flicks and a lot of people feel that film was incredibly slow paced and dull, but I loved it because of the anticipation and shock factor it had. With "It Follows" I didn't feel much anticipation, through out the film you pretty much know whats gonna happen
They walk around while music plays, the follower shows up, rinse and repeat.
I liked enough of the film to walk away not entirely disappointed. It really did have some great scenes, but there were just so many moments that felt very linear and pointless. I get what they were going for but I just wasn't feeling a lot of it.

Furious 7 - very good action movie, maybe the best in the franchise... minus was that Jason Statham (Deckard Shaw) should be more badass. The best scene was the last five minutes 7.5/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back