Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Don't just give a title and a rating. Say something about it, doesn't have to be long, just a reason why it was good, bad or in between.

Link to previous thread:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f48/discuss-rate-last-movie-you-saw-2852061/

Guideline for the 10 star rating system:

10 - Excellent
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - Pretty Good
6 - Decent
5 - Average/Fair/Meh
4 - Poor
3 - Bad
2 - Very Bad
1 - Abysmal

Note: Some of your reviews might be copied to the official thread of the subject movie.

Last edited:
Bad Boys - 1983 (Sean Penn)

- Okay so here's the beef with many older films . . . IMBD rates this at 7.2/10; Dirty Rotten Tomatoes is at 93% and I think the Netflix rating was at like 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Now, I kept watching throughout for more or less the plot and how it would turn out. But it is thoroughly amazing how a viewer has to blind him/herself to pretty much everything about the film because in its bits and pieces the thing was awful. Like every single thing was just cringe-worthy bad. But then at the end you're supposed to say bravo, what a masterpiece. It was kind of interesting and I didn't shut it off, so that gives it a 5/10.

American Psycho - been meaning to watch this for ages after reading the book years ago, finally did the other night. very good film, laugh out loud funny at times, christian bale was perfect as bateman. 8.5/10.

Oblivian - this didn't seem to get very good reviews but i enjoyed it. an amazing looking film with probably more style than substance and tom cruise doing the usual tom cruise thing, but entertaining nonetheless. 7/10.

I watched two comic book movies:

The Wolverine (2013) - 7/10, a good movie
The Dark Knight (2008) - 6/10, an overrated movie of the first order and The Wolverine was a better film

Also seen The Prestige (2006) - 5/10, it seems Nolan movies just doesn't suit my taste

The Dark Knight (2008) - 6/10, an overrated movie of the first order and The Wolverine was a better film

Also seen The Prestige (2006) - 5/10, it seems Nolan movies just doesn't suit my taste

Au3eK4L.gif

I think it's an amazing movie. One of my favorites.

Why didn't you like the Prestige?

The Wolverine better than The Dark Knight ?? or better than The Prestige ?? Jesus Christ...

giphy.gif

Well, now I know never to listen to anything you have to say about movies ever. Thank you :)

Star Wars A New Hope 4/10

Bland but it has the regretful job of having to introduce everbody and set everything up.

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back 5/10

Decent film, benefits from being able to get right to it.

Star Wars Return of the Jedi 5/10

The most purely entertaining of the original trilogy as it's silly and fun.

Star Wars Phantom Menace 4/10

Meh, nothing interesting here. However, it does have the best lightsaber duel out of all the films and possibly the best villian.

Star Wars Attack of the Clones 2/10

Dire. One big CGI cartoon of nothingness.

Star Wars Revenge of the Sith 3/10

It's poor but it's better than Attack of the Clones in that it has a coherent story and it connects the originals and the prequels nicely.

I've never seen acting this bad in any franchise or film before. There are many solid, accomplished actors in these films but yet they all give their very worst performances.

As another poster on here pointed out, it could very well be because of the lifeless dialogue that the cast are forced to speak. Not even Brando could deliver these lines and be convincing.

Not the films for me I'm afraid.

The Prestige IS overrated.
If not for David Bowie playing Tesla, it would have bored me to tears.
I preferred The Illusionist.

The Magic of Belle Isle with Morgan Freeman and Virginia Madsen. 5 stars out of 5. Feel good movie.

The Theory of Everything (2014) 2/10

Puts the focus on the struggles of his boring, whore of a wife. One of the most oscar baitiest film of all times, it just wore me out. TKO in the last 20 minutes.

A Walk Among The Tombstones (2014) 6/10

Flashy wannabe direction can be a bad thing, but I give it pass for this since it is interesting. I was surprised to find out after that it's based on a popular book and adapted by well known screenwriter, since the story and script are the weakest parts. Cut out the 20 minutes with the kid (who was ok to be fair) and you have a decent thriller.

The Theory of Everything (2014) 2/10

Puts the focus on the struggles of his boring, whore of a wife. One of the most oscar baitiest film of all times, it just wore me out. TKO in the last 20 minutes.

I'm glad to hear this. The premise did nothing for me but the buzz had me thinking I should see it for myself. I feel like I owe you $9.50

The Prestige IS overrated.
If not for David Bowie playing Tesla, it would have bored me to tears.
I preferred The Illusionist.

I love The Prestige and think it's one of Nolan's best. But I agree with you about The Illusionist being solid (though I wouldn't rank it higher than The Prestige). The Illusionist had a very cool vibe throughout but it really turned the corner for me when Norton started doing his conjuring routine- just a cool, mysterious supernatural element that was then cool to see explained by the end. Satisfying movie.

Star Wars Phantom Menace 4/10

Meh, nothing interesting here. However, it does have the best lightsaber duel out of all the films and possibly the best villian.

You think that a character with 2 lines of dialogue....that we are told is a sith and simply wants revenge, kills 1 character, and pretty much has ZERO backstory and does absolutely nothing in the film that establishes he is a villain besides that he "wears a black hood" and the jedi think he's a sith....and that's it....is the Best villain?

There is absolutely nothing cool about the heavily choreographed, unexciting, emotionless, "video game shit" lightsaber fights that happen in the prequels every 10 minutes.

Personally I would rank Phantom Menace as like a 2. So I agree with your rating. but honestly your only 2 pro's for the entire star wars saga are 2 of the biggest flaws with the prequel series....unexciting/emotionless cgi fight scenes, and horribly written characters/villains

The Wolverine bored me for long portions. I didn't find it to be bad but I think it was on the lower end if the X-Men series. For whatever reason I start to lose patience with the trope of the superhero losing his power. In Spider-Man 2, it worked well as a crisis of confidence but in other examples, I just feel it's cliched.

The gimmick with the villain was pretty boss and Jackman is always good to watch in the role but overall it's below X2, First a Class, DOFP in my opinion.

I love The Prestige and think it's one of Nolan's best. But I agree with you about The Illusionist being solid (though I wouldn't rank it higher than The Prestige). The Illusionist had a very cool vibe throughout but it really turned the corner for me when Norton started doing his conjuring routine- just a cool, mysterious supernatural element that was then cool to see explained by the end. Satisfying movie.

I respect your opinion enough to give Prestige another viewing.

The Imitation Game. 9/10

One of the best movies I saw in all of 2014. Intense, dramatic, great acting and just a great life story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back