Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also , that's a lot of fucking dead bodies , eventually that shit becomes a logistics issues

I was racking my mind trying to figure out whether the original Angier was the guy who was transported and the clone was left in the machine or vice versa shortly after the movie was released. I initially kind of just assumed the original got transported, leaving an exact replica in the machine where the original had previously stood. But I'm pretty sure that would mean original Angier dies right after his first test run because it's the guy in the machine who fires the gun, not the one a distance away.

That being said, I found a cool comment from someone else on another forum. Credit to him.

One interesting factor in the Angier copy saga - The Prestige Angier for each performance has never actually had the memory of being the man in the box. As far as he is concerned, he stepping into the machine x nubmer of times, and came out x number of times alive. The Box Angier (who is drowning the first time for each performance) is not around to remember or even relate the horror of drowning to his doppleganger.

Even if who goes where is changing (ie the transported Angier is the original, or vice versa), the fact is that the memory of death dies along with the drowned man. This is why the revelation of how awful drowning acutally is (Cutter retracting his assurance that drowning is like "going home") is horrifiying to Angier - because it takes away the one comfort he had in doing it (that the copy (and his wife) died peacefully at the very end).

I was racking my mind trying to figure out whether the original Angier was the guy who was transported and the clone was left in the machine or vice versa shortly after the movie was released. I initially kind of just assumed the original got transported, leaving an exact replica in the machine where the original had previously stood. But I'm pretty sure that would mean original Angier dies right after his first test run because it's the guy in the machine who fires the gun, not the one a distance away.

That being said, I found a cool comment from someone else on another forum. Credit to him.

One interesting factor in the Angier copy saga - The Prestige Angier for each performance has never actually had the memory of being the man in the box. As far as he is concerned, he stepping into the machine x nubmer of times, and came out x number of times alive. The Box Angier (who is drowning the first time for each performance) is not around to remember or even relate the horror of drowning to his doppleganger.

Even if who goes where is changing (ie the transported Angier is the original, or vice versa), the fact is that the memory of death dies along with the drowned man. This is why the revelation of how awful drowning acutally is (Cutter retracting his assurance that drowning is like "going home") is horrifiying to Angier - because it takes away the one comfort he had in doing it (that the copy (and his wife) died peacefully at the very end).

Nice adds an element to it , the ignorance of how horrifying it would be used as an excuse to allow him to continue such a horrible thing, all because he is obsessed with his rival too

I saw the new Hobbit movie in the theater tonight 5/10. It was just not even on par with the other 5 movies made. No real story and it seemed like the whole movie takes place in the same valley more or less.
Watched The Prestige on tv yesterday. DAMN! I forgot how awesome that flick is. Great actorsc, believable story/setting and great twists at the end.

Nice adds an element to it , the ignorance of how horrifying it would be used as an excuse to allow him to continue such a horrible thing, all because he is obsessed with his rival too

Yeah I thought that was very insightful and definitely added an element.

I also appreciate how the movie shifts audience allegiance, having Jackman as the clear face early on and Bale as the heel and then sort of shifting that as Angiers obsession and brutally comes to light.

Another cool thing is the way on subsequent views you can see that the Borden/Fallon who loved Sarah and fathered the child was the more sympathetic and level-headed of the two- the non-father of the two is quite mean toward and dismissive of Sarah in the scene that ultimately leads to her suicide. The father one meanwhile is the one who has the foresight to say that they are going to leave Angier alone and not fuck with him or his mysterious trick. He leaves well enough alone and his more impulsive brother can't stay away which leads to his framing and death. I don't know if there is any evidence of it but I would operate under the assumption that the survivor twin is the one who went to Angier's wife's funeral despite not being the one responsible for her death.

I honestly have to review that if I get to watch it again. I don't rate the Prestige all thst high but it's got enough going for to see what I overlooked

I dunno man that 2v1 match-up was maybe the only redeemable part of the first film for me. I remember practicing the choreography with my siblings when I was younger (too young to be distracted by the awfulness of the rest of it).

I was certainly in the same boat when I was 9 or 8 or something when the movie came out and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread but after awhile its like....there are a few problems

1. the lightsaber duel has no odds whatsoever.
Darth Mauls only appearance to establish how menacing he is is when he fights Qui-Gon in the desert, and besides being a bit tired by the end of it, Qui-Gon pretty much has no problem handling the guy.

Our next meeting is the end of the film where nothing has changed to Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan in their training that would suggest the odds are against them...

in Luke's first duel with Vader he's BARELY keeping up with Vader, Vader is basically going one handed just to show Luke how fucking green he is with the ways of the force and just how powerful he is. He only steps up to Luke when Luke proves that he's not "ALL TOO EASY" as Vader had thought.

Even in Luke's final meeting with Vader, he's holding his own but only gets the upper hand when he full on rages out and just wails on Vader until he cuts his hand off...

in Phantom Menace, not only are the odds (if anything) stacked in favor of the jedi's, but there is no real danger because as far as we know....George just assumes the audience is going to think that Darth Maul is powerful enough to take on two Jedi's at once because his name has "Darth" in it...and he looks like a scary demon with a double-sided lightsaber...

Its terrible writing.

2. The "fight choreography" is exciting at first...but actually makes the characters look both stupid and like they are completely inept
they are at no real point, full on chopping at his head.... they are swinging like 5 feet from their heads/legs/feet...they're doing endless amounts of spins....and huge windups that when you really examine each fight action....makes no sense

havent watched this with audio^ but I assume it touches base on my points

3. The duel had no impact on the characters arc
Basically every duel in the OG series, participated in the character-arc of Luke Skywalker...

Because we learn nothing about 1 of the "villains" in phantom menace, we don't really see or find out the impact of the duel besides 2 things

1. Qui-Gon dies
2. the jedi learn despite their beliefs that there are Sith in the galaxy again

the Jedi council along with the audience never learns anything about Darth Maul outside of the fact that he had a devil face and a black hood....and that he probably has a master somewhere

and sure Qui-Gon's death can sort of contribute to Obi-Wans character arc...but it doesn't...

In Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan has a line where he says, "was I any different when you taught me?" when Yoda expresses he can't teach Luke because he's angry/frustrated/irritated with his deliberate annoying actions.

This tells me 2 things
1. Obi-Wan was as eager to learn/quick to frustration as a teenager as Luke
2. Yoda had more of an impact to Obi-Wans training than Qui-Gon...since Yoda curbed Obi-Wans quick temper...which we never once saw in the prequels

So really this duel has zero impact to the character-arc of anyone in the series because...

1. Obi-Wan resumes training under Yoda and Qui-Gon is thus a non-factor
2. the next movie takes place 8 years later
3. a. Darth Maul dies and thus we never get a rematch to show Obi-Wans progression as a jedi
b. there is no progression comparison like Luke/Vader I and Luke/Vader II
c. the next sith Obi-Wan faces is Count Dooku, who he becomes incapacitated against twice. thus showing zero progression as a jedi

Obi-wan only effectiveness as a Jedi after Darth Maul is that he kills hundreds of completely ineffective/useless robots, and then shoots an alien in a robot suit with a blaster because he was losing the lightsaber fight, and finally he brutally maims Anakin because he..."had the high ground" an asset that did not help the only Sith he kills in the entire series...

I suppose....yes. that final duel is the most "exciting" part of the film. But taking like 5 minutes to think about it and you realize that Lucas' absolutely atrocious writing makes it just as bland/boring as the rest of the movie...and makes the characters progressively dumber as the series goes on

Well, my daughter got frozen for christmas, so I had to watch that. I don't know what else to say other than I want to murder the ghost of Walt.

Lmfao Thrillhouse that breakdown of Star Wars was excellent.

The movie I saw just tonight was Memento.. Pretty good, but couldnt help but feel like watching that movie was an entire waste. No mindfuck moment for me, but maybe its because I just watched The Usual Suspects a couple nights ago.
7/10

Batman 4/10

Nothing much to it. Jack Nicholsons Joker is not a patch on Heath Ledger's. Although very different, it's still the same character and therefore must be compared.

Batman Returns 5.5/10

Definitely a step up from the first. A much more gothic feel makes it more enjoyable for me. In my opinion, Danny DeVito's performance is hugely underrated...he even won a razzie if I'm not mistaken. I thought his performance was fantastic and he's the best villain in the early Batman movies.

Batman Forever 5/10

Often looked down upon but I think it's goofy fun. Val Kilmer is probably my favourite Bruce Wayne (Favourite Batman is Keaton).
Tommy Lee Jones is awesome as Two Face. People got their panties in a twist because he doesn't portray the character as it is in the comics. But I never cared about that. It's a fun, over the top master class. Jim Carrey is Jim Carrey.

Batman Begins 6.5/10

Solid reboot. Bale dedicates himself to the role and pulls it off nicely. Nolan had a really difficult task of making this story fit into the real world. Very hard to do when the story revolves around a man wearing a bat costume. It can so easily become a joke.

The Dark Knight 7/10

The best of the Batman Franchise. Heath Ledgers performance was well worthy of the Oscar he got.
It's definitely overlong with plenty of plot holes but if you shut your mind off, it's a good film.

The Dark Knight Rises 5/10

Decent but way too long and way too boring. The standouts are Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Overall a pretty good series. I left out Batman and Robin for obvious reasons. I can sit through a lot of crap, but that I will not do.

Snowpiercer 5/10

Bleak, bland movie.
Not for me and I'm a huge fan of apocalyptic thrillers.
I enjoyed the road so it's not like the slow pace was an issue or anything.

Laughed at the black woman yelling "i want chicken" though.

29f2zw0.jpg

Snowpiercer 5/10

Bleak, bland movie.
Not for me and I'm a huge fan of apocalyptic thrillers.
I enjoyed the road so it's not like the slow pace was an issue or anything.

Laughed at the black woman yelling "i want chicken" though.

29f2zw0.jpg

Loved the concept. Loved the idea of making each car its own world. But the dialogue was laughable and the movie has no idenity--it has a dark tone with dystopian themes and violence, but screwball dialogue and buffonish characters all over the place. Not to mention obscene plot holes. Enough with crazy Asian man characters already.

Maze Runner: 7/10--Another great concept. Not the strongest characters, and needed more in the Maze, but an enjoyable watch.

Batman 4/10

Nothing much to it. Jack Nicholsons Joker is not a patch on Heath Ledger's. Although very different, it's still the same character and therefore must be compared.

Batman Returns 5.5/10

Definitely a step up from the first. A much more gothic feel makes it more enjoyable for me. In my opinion, Danny DeVito's performance is hugely underrated...he even won a razzie if I'm not mistaken. I thought his performance was fantastic and he's the best villain in the early Batman movies.

Batman Forever 5/10

Often looked down upon but I think it's goofy fun. Val Kilmer is probably my favourite Bruce Wayne (Favourite Batman is Keaton).
Tommy Lee Jones is awesome as Two Face. People got their panties in a twist because he doesn't portray the character as it is in the comics. But I never cared about that. It's a fun, over the top master class. Jim Carrey is Jim Carrey.

Batman Begins 6.5/10

Solid reboot. Bale dedicates himself to the role and pulls it off nicely. Nolan had a really difficult task of making this story fit into the real world. Very hard to do when the story revolves around a man wearing a bat costume. It can so easily become a joke.

The Dark Knight 7/10

The best of the Batman Franchise. Heath Ledgers performance was well worthy of the Oscar he got.
It's definitely overlong with plenty of plot holes but if you shut your mind off, it's a good film.

The Dark Knight Rises 5/10

Decent but way too long and way too boring. The standouts are Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Overall a pretty good series. I left out Batman and Robin for obvious reasons. I can sit through a lot of crap, but that I will not do.

Do Rocky Next

Damn, he is very hard to please. Empire Strikes Back gets a 5, Dark Knight gets a 7. I really wonder which movies he rates a 9 or 10 in.

You're right, I am stupidly hard to please. I wish I wasn't because then I would be able to enjoy more movies but it's unfortunately not the case.

You're right, I am stupidly hard to please. I wish I wasn't because then I would be able to enjoy more movies but it's unfortunately not the case.

No, I believe movies arent your thing. Its either that or youre hipstering out in here and im not buying it.

Perhaps you should take up pottery or checkers.

I was certainly in the same boat when I was 9 or 8 or something when the movie came out and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread but after awhile its like....there are a few problems

1. the lightsaber duel has no odds whatsoever.
Darth Mauls only appearance to establish how menacing he is is when he fights Qui-Gon in the desert, and besides being a bit tired by the end of it, Qui-Gon pretty much has no problem handling the guy.

Our next meeting is the end of the film where nothing has changed to Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan in their training that would suggest the odds are against them...

in Luke's first duel with Vader he's BARELY keeping up with Vader, Vader is basically going one handed just to show Luke how fucking green he is with the ways of the force and just how powerful he is. He only steps up to Luke when Luke proves that he's not "ALL TOO EASY" as Vader had thought.

Even in Luke's final meeting with Vader, he's holding his own but only gets the upper hand when he full on rages out and just wails on Vader until he cuts his hand off...

in Phantom Menace, not only are the odds (if anything) stacked in favor of the jedi's, but there is no real danger because as far as we know....George just assumes the audience is going to think that Darth Maul is powerful enough to take on two Jedi's at once because his name has "Darth" in it...and he looks like a scary demon with a double-sided lightsaber...

Its terrible writing.

2. The "fight choreography" is exciting at first...but actually makes the characters look both stupid and like they are completely inept
they are at no real point, full on chopping at his head.... they are swinging like 5 feet from their heads/legs/feet...they're doing endless amounts of spins....and huge windups that when you really examine each fight action....makes no sense

havent watched this with audio^ but I assume it touches base on my points

3. The duel had no impact on the characters arc
Basically every duel in the OG series, participated in the character-arc of Luke Skywalker...

Because we learn nothing about 1 of the "villains" in phantom menace, we don't really see or find out the impact of the duel besides 2 things

1. Qui-Gon dies
2. the jedi learn despite their beliefs that there are Sith in the galaxy again

the Jedi council along with the audience never learns anything about Darth Maul outside of the fact that he had a devil face and a black hood....and that he probably has a master somewhere

and sure Qui-Gon's death can sort of contribute to Obi-Wans character arc...but it doesn't...

In Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan has a line where he says, "was I any different when you taught me?" when Yoda expresses he can't teach Luke because he's angry/frustrated/irritated with his deliberate annoying actions.

This tells me 2 things
1. Obi-Wan was as eager to learn/quick to frustration as a teenager as Luke
2. Yoda had more of an impact to Obi-Wans training than Qui-Gon...since Yoda curbed Obi-Wans quick temper...which we never once saw in the prequels

So really this duel has zero impact to the character-arc of anyone in the series because...

1. Obi-Wan resumes training under Yoda and Qui-Gon is thus a non-factor
2. the next movie takes place 8 years later
3. a. Darth Maul dies and thus we never get a rematch to show Obi-Wans progression as a jedi
b. there is no progression comparison like Luke/Vader I and Luke/Vader II
c. the next sith Obi-Wan faces is Count Dooku, who he becomes incapacitated against twice. thus showing zero progression as a jedi

Obi-wan only effectiveness as a Jedi after Darth Maul is that he kills hundreds of completely ineffective/useless robots, and then shoots an alien in a robot suit with a blaster because he was losing the lightsaber fight, and finally he brutally maims Anakin because he..."had the high ground" an asset that did not help the only Sith he kills in the entire series...

I suppose....yes. that final duel is the most "exciting" part of the film. But taking like 5 minutes to think about it and you realize that Lucas' absolutely atrocious writing makes it just as bland/boring as the rest of the movie...and makes the characters progressively dumber as the series goes on

Their lightsaber battle is my favorite as well. A true improvement to the lunky, slow paced choreography that ailed in the first movies. I dont muddy up my sense of entertainment when I am in desperate need for it after watching a boring star wars movie up until a 5 min battle. Plus the music was fucking epic.

The movies are flawed but lets not shit on any point of decency to make the movies total losses.

Force Majeure (2014) 8.5/10

A very honest look at human relationships, and probably the funniest film of the year. The guy from GOT is awesome in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back