Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your opinion enough to give Prestige another viewing.

Thanks man. I always respect yours as well.

I did see Into the Woods with some family members (some of whom had seen the show back on a Broadway in the 80s). I really liked it actually- more than some of the others on this thread so far. I knew nothing going in other than it was a mash up of a lot of fairy tale type stories. I'm not a big musical fan, but I was optimistic with this since recent adaptations like Sweeney Todd and Les Miserables were quite good in my opinion.

I found is to be a very clever play/film- not so much narratively. Mashing up those stories is cool and all but I don't think it's particularly inventive. But lyrically, I thought it was clever as hell. The fast paced delivery of the songs and the depth to them was impressive to me.

Performances were good across the board. Streep chewed the scenery in a very effective way. Blunt and Kendrick were beautiful and sang well. Cordan was funny and sympathetic. There was also a lot of humor, particularly from Chris Pine who had a couple of laugh out loud moments.

8/10

The Prestige IS overrated.
If not for David Bowie playing Tesla, it would have bored me to tears.
I preferred The Illusionist.

The prestige lost me when it went with the weird supernatural with the clones. The whole twin brother angle was interesting twist but the ridiculousness of the twins and how they were dealt with undermines it

Hercules (the one with the rock)

Plot wise, it was kind of flat and so was the acting, and as much as i have liked movies with the rock in it. This one didn't seem to have the same effect as his previous films. It sort of felt like he didn't even want to be there.

The scenes that they show in the previews of him fighting the lion, the giant Hog and the water snake were stupid. It was the same as the previews, nothing was expanded.

At least the action was decent, i give it a 6/10

I'm glad to hear this. The premise did nothing for me but the buzz had me thinking I should see it for myself. I feel like I owe you $9.50

I'll PM my paypal info...

I was disappointed to hear the one movie podcast show I listen to give this a positive review. Oh well.

I'm glad to hear this. The premise did nothing for me but the buzz had me thinking I should see it for myself. I feel like I owe you $9.50

It was pretty good and Redmayne was fantastic. Seriously, fantastic. Felicity Jones was really good, too, and the movie did a great job with their relationship.

My problem was that the film didn't do a very good job illustrating why Hawkings is a genius and just how big his ideas are; the movie is all like here's this crazy smart dude with a loving girlfriend but damn, boy, ALS sucks. Who he is was largely irrelevant.

This is going to sound horrible but it's the science and the physics that are important, he's a once in a century intellect.

I enjoyed the film and recommend it but wanted more.

Also:

jbuLFDvO3b4JfF.jpg

He was really, really good.

jtetHjlGGIVou.jpg

She was also really, really good.

Not really a spoiler.

Joe McPherson said:
Wow, I couldn't stand WOWS. Thought it was just a swear-athon of tough-soundings/acting jerks. But I guess if you like that sort of thing . . . 4/10 for me.

Well you might be insane when it comes to This is the End but THIS we can agree on. I'm not sure what kind of restrictions were placed on the plot but I can't believe the same guy who did Goodfellas could leave it so devoid of meaning.

It might be one of those things that's too recent to appreciate from a distance.

Fuck I'm so behind on movies. The WJHC (annual junior hockey tournament) has my media viewing all tied up.

Personally I would rank Phantom Menace as like a 2. So I agree with your rating. but honestly your only 2 pro's for the entire star wars saga are 2 of the biggest flaws with the prequel series....unexciting/emotionless cgi fight scenes, and horribly written characters/villains

I dunno man that 2v1 match-up was maybe the only redeemable part of the first film for me. I remember practicing the choreography with my siblings when I was younger (too young to be distracted by the awfulness of the rest of it).

Kids For Cash

7/10

poster
jbzK8FWjSeco2j.jpg

A documentary about a crooked judge that made a deal to convict as many teenagers as possible in return for kickbacks from a youth facility; it was a heinous act that destroyed thousands (yes thousands) of lives.

It was a competent documentary, but lacked punch, considering the scope of the issue. Also, the focus of the documentary has been completely resolved, so unlike many documentaries, you walk away feeling like you just watched yesterday's news.

I wish there had been more of an effort to investigate the possibility that cases like this are happening elsewhere, and a stronger message regarding the dangers of capitulating to authority without understanding your situation.

The prestige lost me when it went with the weird supernatural with the clones. The whole twin brother angle was interesting twist but the ridiculousness of the twins and how they were dealt with undermines it

Same for me.

All I kept thinking is: You keep killing yourself. The guy coming out the other side won't be you. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH, YOU MORON.

Total Recall 2012 I give it a 4. Just another attempt to make money off a previous good movie. It just didn't have a good plot flow.

All About Eve 8.5/10

not normally my style of movie, but ended up really liking it. It was a pretty dialog-heavy movie, but it was really engrossing.

Alien 9/10

by far the best of the Alien films. All the over the top action from Aliens can suck it. The original is straight up scary. Awesome set designs and atmosphere, the music, and the claustrophobic terror. I probably seen this film 20 times before and I was still at the edge of my seat when Ripley had the Alien in the escape pod with her. I wish they would have filmed the original ending that Ridley Scott had in mind, where Ripley was decapitated by the alien in the escape pod and then done the final log entry in her voice. Would have been a cool twist to the Director's Cut of the film.

star wars.

Lmfao at torturing yourself by watching 6 movies (probably about 15 hours or so total) and not liking any of them. If I were you I would have quit after watching two of them, three MAX. Maybe you watched with the whole family or something, but at that point I would just dick around on phone/laptop if I realized I didn't like the movie.

Edge of Tomorrow: 9/10
Entertaining and one of the best movies I watched in 2014. Liked everything about it. It was fun, funny and Blunt/Cruise played likable characters. Loved the Exo suits. Would be awesome to see those type of Exo suits in some video games.

Foxcatcher: 8/10
Might be a 9/10. I liked it a lot. Acting was good. Carell was creepy as fuck and the director made sure to throw him in as many scenes possible being creepy. The wrestling matches were realistic, aside from some of teh dramatic throws, even though they weren't all too crazy. I wish the movie also showed Schultz growing up and winning the Olympic medal, but I guess that would have made the movie way longer.

Same for me.

All I kept thinking is: You keep killing yourself. The guy coming out the other side won't be you. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH, YOU MORON.

Also , that's a lot of fucking dead bodies , eventually that shit becomes a logistics issues

Also , that's a lot of fucking dead bodies , eventually that shit becomes a logistics issues

Wasn't he filling a warehouse with those things?

That would have been incredibly fun to explain.

the guest

its like a b movie DRIVER almost a parody of it like it gets more absurd as it goes on till the point that its like the movie stops giving a fuck about any plausibility

it was pretty cool one of those missed opportunity type movies i dont know what to rate it i liked more than i should so to be safe ill just say 7

Last edited:
The Prestige IS overrated.
If not for David Bowie playing Tesla, it would have bored me to tears.
I preferred The Illusionist.

This. What other movies (of decent standing/marketing) came out in the same year and were nearly identical in plot? Reminded me of Armageddon/Deep Impact.

Kids For Cash

7/10

poster
jbzK8FWjSeco2j.jpg

A documentary about a crooked judge that made a deal to convict as many teenagers as possible in return for kickbacks from a youth facility; it was a heinous act that destroyed thousands (yes thousands) of lives.

It was a competent documentary, but lacked punch, considering the scope of the issue. Also, the focus of the documentary has been completely resolved, so unlike many documentaries, you walk away feeling like you just watched yesterday's news.

I wish there had been more of an effort to investigate the possibility that cases like this are happening elsewhere, and a stronger message regarding the dangers of capitulating to authority without understanding your situation.

I swear, there was a Law & Order SVU episode about this.

Gravity - 8.5/10

Simple concept but still very engaging, great visuals, not too long, doesn't rely on bullshit plot twists, and sandra bullock in tighty whities.

This. What other movies (of decent standing/marketing) came out in the same year and were nearly identical in plot? Reminded me of Armageddon/Deep Impact.

Deep Impact won that battle by tko in the first. Armageddon was a mess.

You also have Olympus Has Fallen and White House Down both coming out in 2013. Olympus was a lot better and a damn good Die Hard-esque action flick in my opinion. WHD was dumb as absolute fuck but I found it amusing and entertaining for the most part. OHF clearly the better of the two.

Hollywood likes to try to take premises from each other , there were two Snow White Movies in 2013 , though different in Tone , Mirror Mirror and Snow White and the Huntsman, then last year you had two Hercules movies, one was average (Hercules) the other horrible ( The Legend of Hercules).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back