Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinn 3/10

Took me a a couple of times to get through it without falling asleep

I watched Oculus last night on Netflix due to someone's recommendation in this thread.

For a horror movie with the WWE logo it was not bad.
The two main characters and the little girl did not do a bad job acting and the story was good.

I hated the ending of course but it deserves a solid 7/10 for a horror movie.

EDIT:
I feel like I see that guy in every movie. Maleficent, The giver, and now this.

Also seen Olympus has Fallen on Netflix when I was bored. It was alright. 5 or 6/10.

I'm glad to hear this. The premise did nothing for me but the buzz had me thinking I should see it for myself. I feel like I owe you $9.50

Saved me some money as well.
Heard a lot of good things and may just wait till its on redbox/ netflix or something.

Last edited:
Horror movies, I agree must be rated on different scales..that being said The Conjuring was very good on a regular scale..People in the theater were jumping and screaming, the tension was real, and we were in a normal neighborhood. 7.5/10

Jinn 3/10

Took me a a couple of times to get through it without falling asleep

I though of watching that but passed because of the reviews it got in imdb.
Always have a look there before you watch a movie.

I also heard really bad things about outcast, Nicolas cage's recent movie.

But then again he's been in nothing but duds lately.

The Interview - 7.8/10

Seth Rogans best complete comedy film to date. Acting wise he still has no range and always appears to just 'play himself'. Franco was the only lead who seemed to have a 'character' in this film.

Overall it was a funny movie if you can check off your logic functions. It didnt drag an had a good pacing. Though i believe the movie will have little replay value.

Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10

Rented on dvd, loved it. Im unfamiliar with the comic books so the authenticity wasnt an issue. Solid acting, great story progression, great effects. My only complaints are the kung-fu fighting choreography (which im getting tired of seeing in action flicks, maybe im just being a h2h combat snob) and john reilly's presence which felt out of place.

I really enjoyed how they wove the music theme throughout the movie with the Awesome Mixes and the movie had some good laughs along the way. Cant wait to see how this series continues.

The Pistol 7/10

Biopic on Pistol Pete Marovich the basketball player, watched on Netflix. Liked this one alot having grown up playing alot of bball myself and coming from a bball family. The type of dad they paint in the movie is the type of dad most guys wish they had. The story moves along well despite some bad acting, but overall the movie comes off as family friendly and fun.

Anchorman 2 - 2/10

Was i supposed to laugh at this crap? The only funny part was the fight schene, the rest of the movie was utter stupidity, and unfunny stupidity at that. The novelty of the first film was gone and all that was left was a cast trying too hard to make people laugh. Or maybe they werent trying at all? I couldnt really tell. If this wasnt on Netflix i probably never would have seen this bc im not really into stoner comedies.

Watched GotG again. The following review from when I first saw it in the theaters still mostly applies, but some of my misgivings were less pronounced the second time (like Bautista not annoying me so much) and I'd bump the score up to a 7.75 from a 7. Very solid piece of entertainment, but not the mind-boggling awesomeness that a lot of reviewers tended to score it.
Guardians of the Galaxy
Score: 7/10
Genre: Space Opera/Comic Book
Director: James Gunn
Staring: Chris Pratt as Star Lord, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, and Lee Pace as Ronan

TL;DR Review: The film looks amazing, better than anything else Marvel has put out to date. Chris Pratt does a very solid job in the lead roll and Cooper's Rocket is a standout. Unfortunately the rest of the core cast isn't as good and the script was uneven. But still, it's far superior to both Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, and at least on par with Cap 2.

Full Review: Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel's first real risk, and, on the whole, they do an admirable job. The movie looks like it's going to be a really big success and I hope it paves the way for more space opera and original sci-fi.

The most impressive part of this movie is the visuals. It would not be a stretch to call it one of the best looking movies in recent memory. It amazes me how much they were able to do with their $170mil budget. Visual effects are everywhere with two fully realized CGI characters, extended spaceship battles, and multiple unique worlds. What they were able to accomplish on this front should put other studios on notice.

Speaking of CGI characters, the real break out character for the movie is Bradley Cooper's Rocket Rac00n. The character is a lot of fun (and the leg/eye gag being particularly funny) and Cooper's voice work really brings him to life. Vin Diesel's Groot is alright, but not as notable as Rocket (it's hard when you've only got one line).

For the human (or at least human acted) characters Pratt's lead of Peter Quill/Star Lord is definitely the best. He's charismatic and funny without feeling forced and they avoid going too far over the top with him. Unfortunately the rest of the cast isn't on the same level. Zoe Saldana's Gamora felt uneven (and for a "living weapon" gets beaten far too easily) and Dave Bautista as Drax was just plain awful. I cringed at his delivery of almost everything. They went with him as a budget choice and, well, they got what they paid for. Lee Pace is a more lively villain than Eccleston was in Thor 2, but I still didn't really feel it with the character. His motivations are only given through exposition and inference so his devotion to a war that has ended feels closer to plot device than genuine characterization. Benicio Del Toro's inclusion felt extraneous and seemed more like Marvel saying, "Hey, it's that dude from the after credits scene in Thor 2! Remember him? He's important...but not right now. Later. Just don't forget him!" He delivered some exposition and then *poof* the plot moves on and he no longer matters.

Other than Bautista stinking up the joint I think my biggest problem is with the script. It has a ton of ground to cover with a whole new aspect of the MCU and more than a dozen characters. Being so stuffed means that the character development isn't allowed to breath properly and most of it feels forced as a result. The team comes together far too easily and I didn't feel the finale was earned. The films also a bit cheesy. It's not the sort of terrible cheese that was in IM3 or Thor 2, but some of it didn't quite feel earned. You've got to earn your cheese. Even Farscape, a favorite of mine which can be almost cartoonishly zany at times, needed to establish it's characters and setting before pouring it on.

The last thing I want to comment on is the soundtrack. I wasn't thrilled with how it was handled. Bowie's Moonage Daydream fit great, but most of the rest of it felt like Gunn stuffed them in there because they are favorites of his instead of working in the scene.

Spoilers:
Oh man, that Jackson Pollock joke killed me. The theater had a lot of little kids and I was one of the only people laughing. The joke went right over the kids' heads and I don't think many of the adults got it either. But god damn it was funny if you understood it.

I have a huge problem with the ending on Xandar and the Nova Corps' performance. They just signed a peace treaty with the Kree after what is implied to be decades of conflict, and yet we're supposed to believe the only force they can muster to defend their home world is a bunch of dinky ships that form a net? Please. They should have had some other sort of planetary defense.

Michael Rooker's Yondu was a bit too "space redneck", but the scene where he crashes and then we finally see the arrow he's been threatening everybody with get used was quite good. Maybe a little long on the dramatic pause, but I'm glad that we see his rank get justified.
Conclusion: Guardians of the Galaxy is probably Marvel's strongest entry into Phase 2. It looks great and manages to set up an entire aspect of the MCU we've seen very little of. While somewhat flawed, I'm still looking forward to seeing the sequel and hope we get more of this aspect of the universe.

The Seasoning House 7.5/10

A movie where young girls are being forced into prostitution in a whore house (like the prostitution ring in Taken). Follows a deaf mute girl that is being held captive and enslaved. Great movie, some may be turned off by the premise but I think it's done well and doesn't try to be disturbing or sick for the sake of it. Would definitely recommend it.

theseasoninghous.jpeg

The Source Code 7/10

Just a solid film.

Wrong Cops - 4.5/10

I like this type of comedy but some of the jokes work and some don't. It has Stevie from Eastbound and Down. The ending was really funny.

Capote - 4.5/10

Well directed, acting and told story BUT I found it to be mostly boring.

Flightplan 4/10

Over the top non sense thriller that's watchable.

Anchorman 2 - 2/10

Was i supposed to laugh at this crap? The only funny part was the fight schene, the rest of the movie was utter stupidity, and unfunny stupidity at that. The novelty of the first film was gone and all that was left was a cast trying too hard to make people laugh. Or maybe they werent trying at all? I couldnt really tell. If this wasnt on Netflix i probably never would have seen this bc im not really into stoner comedies.

A lot of people share your feelings on it, man but, I don't know why, it just really clicked for me. In fact I was very surprised at how much I liked it. I feel Ferrells movie schtick in general kind of got tired around Semi-Pro (though the Other Guys is awesome) but I was really satisfied at the end of Anchorman 2. I was surprised how much I liked it. It was, for me, almost as enjoyable a sequel as I could have hoped for to the 04 movie. Some gags fell flat for sure but I thought Ferrell really delivered, Koechners chicken of the cave stuff, Rudd in general, and some of Carrells stuff (though it was over the top).

6.5 or 7/10.

The Seasoning House 7.5/10

A movie where young girls are being forced into prostitution in a whore house (like the prostitution ring in Taken). Follows a deaf mute girl that is being held captive and enslaved. Great movie, some may be turned off by the premise but I think it's done well and doesn't try to be disturbing or sick for the sake of it. Would definitely recommend it.

theseasoninghous.jpeg
I haven't seen this but it reminds me of a documentary I just saw while on an airplane the other day. Guy was an ex-fbi agent or something, started a private organization where they go to South America and pretend to want underage prostitutes for a party, and then rescue all the girls from their captors! It was amazing... they used normal people and actors who volunteered (some high profile ones, even, with disguises) and set up the party with balloons and shit so it doesn't look suspicious to have so many kids around. Then they just take the girls into a guarded room and tell the slavers to fuck off. Wish I could remember the name of it.

A Walk Among The Tombstones 8/10
im a big fan of Lawrence Blocks books so its good to see this getting made into a movie, people have said its in the same vain as "The Equaliser" and thats a fair assessment maybe not as violent though.
Neeson is perfect for the role of a down and out Private Investigator battling his demons, and nearly everyone else even though i didnt recognise them were good.
cant remember if there was a female who had a speaking role.
recommend

a-walk-among-the-tombstones.jpg

The woman in black 2:

6/10. some moderate scares. Ending was predictable. Female led was eye candy imo.

I fell asleep around the middle part for about 15 mins.

unless you're a big fan of the first it would be best to skip this one imo.

Locke - 6.5/10

I guess I deserved this one. Was supposed to watch the more recent True Grit tonight but I caught the trailer for this and got suckered in by the big words and implicit promise of drama.

It didn't take long to figure out that there wasn't going to be a payout. Instead of revolving around an event with any real gravity the film chooses to have a bunch of more mundane ("realistic") issues coincide as one poor sap gets comfy in the mess of a bed he's made. Hardy does a really nice job playing a really loathsome figure, who is also somewhat insane but not enough to really matter. The little reveals about his true motivation could honestly have been cut out without changing much of the film at all - in fact they felt totally out of place in a movie that was trying so hard to suck you into its realism.

Maybe I missed something, but I wasn't compelled by any of the main character's problems at all. I'll probably put a little more thought into why he ultimately made the decision he did, but I kind of wish the answer the film gave was a little more subtle.

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone 6/10

Pretty solid start. Introduces us all to the characters nicely. The CGI is a bit naff now but it was almost fifteen years ago.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 7/10

Picking up the pace. A little darker and a lot more fun. Voldemorts backstory is very well done. The CGI still holds up well.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 7.5/10

In the third installment they bring in Gary Oldman, David Thewlis and Michael Gambon. How could you go wrong? It's a lot of fun and has a story you can get really emotionally invested in. This is where the Harry Potter films got taken to the next level.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 8/10

Very good film. This is the biggest one so far, a lot of work clearly went into this. It has an epic feel. Oh and Brendan Gleeson takes this up a notch.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 6.5/10

Feels like the saggy midway point movie. There's not a fat lot of story here other than the Hogwarts students finding a secret room to practice magic so they can protect themselves. Then a final battle at the end. Not a bad film though by any means.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 8.5/10

My favourite of the series. It's good to see Alan Rickman get to take center stage as it were. Its very very dark and grim. The aesthetic has a horror genre feel. Gothic.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part one 6/10

The only reason this scores low is that it's just the first half. Which means more buildup with no payoff. But I understand why they did it.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow part two 8/10

Great way to end it all. Snape's backstory was fascinating and really heartbreaking.
Alan Rickman was very overlooked in this role in my opinion. He was fantastic.

2 Guns-7/10---Kind of a fun shoot em up. I gave it an extra point because Paula Patton is drop dead gorgeous and breaks out the hammers.

Harry Potter

u suck dude...jk :icon_neut:icon_lol:

So is Harry Potter your all time favorite franchise?

Boyhood 5/10

The rating doesn't really reflect the pain of sitting through this, i'm in one those ruts when I hate watching a film so I start something else, with four movies going at once it actually helped me to finish it. The 5 is for the gimmick which does work and it is to be admired, but Linklater should have cut half the running time, all that after school special and bad acting had to go. He invested all this time into this project but lost sight of what makes a film work. They should have also waited another four years to see Mason hit rock bottom after his photography degree gets him nowhere, but of course in this universe he would end up being some great artist.

u suck dude...jk :icon_neut:icon_lol:

So is Harry Potter your all time favorite franchise?

I certainly enjoyed it more than Star Wars and Batman.

But I also love the Lord of the Rings (not that Hobbit shite).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back