"Didn't want to tap to a wrestler" (photo)

Wow, a lot of hostility. I would like to thank TS for a thoroughly gut wrenching photo.. Even if it was a car accident (asking for trouble driving with shin pads ;-)) It reminds me to tap.

Even if it was a car accident (asking for trouble driving with shin pads ;-)) It reminds me to tap.

Oh snap!!!!!! Balto is rocked with a big sucker punch........ Or a slap across the face with a white glove.:icon_evil

Last edited:
Actually with the advent of online blogging, journalism degrees are pretty meaningless if you have limited experience in the subject you're covering. Gareth A Davies has a journalism degree, and his MMA coverage (read: UFC coverage) can be mediocre most of the time. Getting old media guys to cover MMA just because they have a bit of paper framed isn't indicative of quality.

At the moment, this is just a fun thread. Fighters haven't been named, or the promoter or event, for a reason. The only way this ends up being an article is if I've attained permission from certain parties.

Actually with the advent of online blogging, journalism degrees are pretty meaningless if you have limited experience in the subject you're covering.

I think you missed my point by a country mile. I went back and added in an Edit stating I think a lot of your articles are great!!!

The point I am making has nothing to do with "experience of subject". It has to do with knowing how to be a true journalist, learning the integrity, how to be unbiased, the importance of not running with a story to early before facts are checked, etc.

Getting old media guys to cover MMA just because they have a bit of paper framed isn't indicative of quality.

I agree 100%

Hopefully this is a small learning lesson for you if you want to continue writing. I mean your medium is the Internet and here you are ON THE INTERNET writing away about something you know little to nothing about.:eek:

I guess I'm saying maybe you jumped the gun bait and maybe that is something that meaningless piece of paper would have taught you.

I agree it was a "fun thread". ( well I don't as indicated in my first post) but once you started talking about making it a story things kinda change.

It's tough to have "fun threads" when you have a sig like yours and protray yourself a certain way. That is what I was trying to say about you and the guy I was E-buddies on here with from Dracs.

No biggie, just wanted to put that rant out there as it was on my mind.

Wow, a lot of hostility. I would like to thank TS for a thoroughly gut wrenching photo.. Even if it was a car accident (asking for trouble driving with shin pads ;-)) It reminds me to tap.

Lol of course it was not a car accident. My point is that it was also not what was described either.

The story has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Nothing adds up. I am sure there is a story here, but it is going to be much different than the details given.

How do you even the know the lesson is to tap to a heel hook? Guy could have fallen weird on his leg during a takedown accident.

If you want to draw weird anti BJJ conclusions from a photo, fine. But don't pretend like it's a factual story when the details are just being made up.

Actually with the advent of online blogging, journalism degrees are pretty meaningless if you have limited experience in the subject you're covering. Gareth A Davies has a journalism degree, and his MMA coverage (read: UFC coverage) can be mediocre most of the time. Getting old media guys to cover MMA just because they have a bit of paper framed isn't indicative of quality.

At the moment, this is just a fun thread. Fighters haven't been named, or the promoter or event, for a reason. The only way this ends up being an article is if I've attained permission from certain parties.

I don't see what's so fun about a person being maimed in what is looking more and more like an illegal technique...

Your premise was about a wrestler tearing up someone's knee from ignorance, not by a gross misuse of an illegal technique.

Further, once again, if this was a pro fight, there are so many variables that could invalidate your premise...

I also agree with title, as someone who spent some time thinking about journalism, and actually doing some internships with newspapers and other media outlets. They always preached integrity. Don't feel too bad about it, journalism in general has lost a massive amount of integrity due to social media and the race to break a story. MMA is especially bad about this since many of the people covering it are coming from non traditional means.

I don't see what's so fun about a person being maimed in what is looking more and more like an illegal technique...

Your premise was about a wrestler tearing up someone's knee from ignorance, not by a gross misuse of an illegal technique.

you don't have facts to back this assertion up.:icon_conf

Alright I'm out, enjoy the fights all!!!!!!!!!!!

Catch Wrestler Tim Boetsch will take one step closer to the #1 contenders ip tonight.:icon_evil:wink::p

Lol at this "story".

Heel hooks aren't allowed in amateur MMA in PA. And yeah right this dude is a Gracie black belt from a school that has no subs until blue belt. He must be from the school in Philly that I've magically never heard of. I guess that would make sense since he is fighting in the secret underground felony promotion that no one has ever heard of either.

There is a better chance that pic is from a guy in a car accident five years ago than anything even remotely resembling the details given in this "story".

As a Philly guy:

I don't know of any legitimate schools in the area that don't allow subs until blue belt. Granted, I have not trained at most of them, because there are quite a few schools in the greater Philadelphia area. However, if it's a Gracie affiliate and well-known school in the local scene, I feel like this would be semi-common knowledge.

I also don't know of any amateur or professional events that occurred in Philly this weekend or last weekend.

Could both of these things have happened without my knowledge? Sure; it's a big city. But I am unconvinced.

Oops

2ntl89c.jpg

From a recent amateur MMA event. I'm hoping to get more details, but the story I've been told is a BJJ guy "didn't want to tap to a wrestler".

This man is clearly the victim of a vicious knee reap

Gareth A Davies has a journalism degree, and his MMA coverage (read: UFC coverage) can be mediocre most of the time.

Calling his coverage mediocre is very kind of you. Someone should tell that prat he desperately needs a haircut, and a job for which he is adequate.

Heel hooks require just a few degrees of rotation to get the tap. I doubt a simple heel hook is going rotate someone's lower leg 90 degrees from the knee.

Never said it was all true mate, just said it reminds me to tap.

You know what story has millions of holes like Swiss cheese?

Nearly every single one in the bible, so let's not throw stones when living in glass houses.

Learn integrity and how to be unbiased and not run with a story until a little research and fact checking is done, etc.

...?

You think journalists nowadays from major outlets work like that? That's laughable. Dan Rather still stands by his hack job based on a forgery ... NBC still claims they didn't blow up the car in the docu on purpose I trust the anarchy of citizen journalism a *whole* lot more than the "licensed" social group. Even worse than reporting things that are false is blowing up minor stories day and night while supressing stories that are true and important lest the peasentry "get the wrong idea." Whoever the story comes from, you better check sources directly yourself before you believe anything ...

Personally this particular story is plausible if not true because I've heard it (and seen it - Nog/Mir - Helio/Kimura) plenty.

Would be easy to say I work with some of the largest MMA promotions in the world (which I do and have) but I would rather just be anonymous and not have to answer for my stupid posts.

This is a great point - Ain't that the truth. Anonymity can be a true blessing. You'd almost need two accounts - one for your everyday use and one for official announcements or whatever. When you get annoyed at some 'tard and say something stupid (which everybody will) I don't want to get called into the real-life office to answer for it. Why does anybody need to know who you are IRL anyways? Either your arguments are cogent or not. Either you present evidence or not. Who you are is irrelevant to that.

leglocks are the worst for me. I would tap. Though some people are very proud and wont tap.

Dude, to turn the knee this way you have to broke so much shit that I seriously doubt that happened. You do not break 2-4 ligaments and some tendons with just a heel hook unless you are a 8 years old fighting a heavyweight 30 years old that is really intending in doing that

Heel hooks require just a few degrees of rotation to get the tap. I doubt a simple heel hook is going rotate someone's lower leg 90 degrees from the knee.

Well, I've heard from people that have gotten their knees fucked up by heel hooks that it's not really that painful, and can happen so quickly that you don't know to tap right away. Then you hear a bunch of pops, and your foot's on wrong and you can't walk. If you look at the picture he rotated the knee about 90 degrees, which is definitely plausible for a few seconds on a reverse heel hook.

Lol of course it was not a car accident. My point is that it was also not what was described either.

The story has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Nothing adds up. I am sure there is a story here, but it is going to be much different than the details given.

How do you even the know the lesson is to tap to a heel hook? Guy could have fallen weird on his leg during a takedown accident.

If you want to draw weird anti BJJ conclusions from a photo, fine. But don't pretend like it's a factual story when the details are just being made up.

Yeah, for all we know based on the picture it could just be two one legged guys making out under those sheets.

Back