Did Costa Phillippou Get Lucky?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Goonerview, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BlastbeatPete

BlastbeatPete Green Belt

Boetch was beating him until those things happened. Especially the eye poke bothers me. That's not a legit win for Costa. Rematch is needed.

2. djrams80

djrams80 Orange Belt

LOL! Pretty much sums it up. Not a good night for Tim. I guess he should be happy that he didn't trip during the walk-out and rip an ACL.

3. Angelassassin53

Angelassassin53 Black Belt

I'd agree. Boetsch almost had him in the first round, and that cut totally screwed him. He pulled guard twice, which I found hard to believe. His hand being broken makes a lot more sense of that, though.

Either way, props to Costa for stepping in and getting the W.

4. His hand isn't broken!!!

5. From another thread

6. dc207

dc207 Purple Belt

Don't they train at the same place?

7. Augustus Caesar

Augustus Caesar Put Up Your Dukes Staff Member Senior Moderator

He got lucky.

8. dc207

dc207 Purple Belt

Stupid. "I see the win as a NC". That's ridiculous. The fight continued, and Costa won. There won't be a rematch. Costa will move on to a bigger fight and Tim will have to fight his way back up.

9. Level One

Level One Blue Belt

Pretty sure Costa's already been fed to him plenty considering they train together.

10. superreise

superreise Brown Belt

1. it was said that tims hand was NOT broken. costa asked the medics and they confirmed that it wasnt broke

2. a clash of heads is likely to effect them both, tim had some blood but he got opened up even more from strikes

3. the eye poke looked awful but to be fair tim was faded WAY before it happened and tim didnt take long to recover which leads me to believe it didnt fuck him up that bad.

in my conclusion... costa is a BEAST who beatdown and finished the fight and look good doing it.

11. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

I felt the same way.

I don't think Tim broke his hand, just more Rogan nonsense. But the clash of heads and eyepoke obviously impaired Boetsch. I don't think the fight really proved anything. Well, I guess it proved that Costa could sorta TKO a blind Tim, but not much more than that

I see a lot of people saying this and it's kind of silly. He was cut with a headbutt, then yeah, punches further opened that up. But really, any punches will open up a cut further once it's already there. The second cut is underneath the eye which really isn't impairing anything.

12. Almus Monk

Almus Monk Purple Belt

No, the fight would have been EXACTLY the same.

I mean how does a broken hand, headbutt causing a cut and poke in the eye effect a fight???

They dont effect fights! just like acl's, broken ribs, and broken foots and ankles dont....

If people dont think these things effect a fight, then you have no business being a fan, you'v probably never trained let alone done any sports.
    shertard will probably compare it to when they have a hang over, or when they hurt there thumb and cant type fast enough.

If it wasnt for the headbutt and eye poke I would say Beotich broke his hand on costas head and thats fair. but I think it should be clear beotich wasnt at 100% and fans and people should realize thats not him at his top ability. especailly with blood pouring down from a headbutt and a nasty eye poke.

and if he didnt break his hand, then it was still a disadvantage with the poke. That shit hurts man. I had stone hit my eye once, didnt damage or scratch it but i couldnt see for a couple or days and it hurt behind the eye for awhile.

costa's cool and its nice to see him get the chance for fight bigger names now. A rematch in the future would be justified though

13. BBCorvette18Pun

BBCorvette18Pun Purple Belt

First of all the eye poke wasn't what was affecting his vision it was the other eye that was almost swollen shut and had blood pouring into it.

That said yes Costa got a break when Boetch broke his hand.

14. dc207

dc207 Purple Belt

Thought it was confirmed in an interview that Tim didn't break his hand?

15. DVN**

DVN** Banned Banned

No boestch was the one that was lucky.

He had a miracle comeback over okami and a wtf fight with lombard. He was never really that good.

And the whole former lhw being really strong at MW is pure crap. He got manhandled by okami. And couldnt even takedown costa.

His win over lombard meant nothing, he arguably lost that glorified sparring session, he was hurt with a body shot by lombard.

Costa is for real.

16. lakersfan45

lakersfan45 That's sardo! No mr, accent on the do!

Legitimate victory

17. arrelione

arrelione Red Belt

Boetch did NOT break his hands. Helwani reported this after the fight(he asked the doctors).

Boetch luck finally ran out, chances are very slim you will be lucky three times in a row.

Edit: Bayern Munich will throw Arsenal out of the champions league and it will be one more year without a title for Wenger.

18. shogunko**

shogunko** Purple Belt

weidman shouldn't get a easy fight to a title, let him earn it while bisping is taking one of the hardest fights possible for him it is the hardest. let weidman fight lombard.

19. Scott Lawlor

Scott Lawlor Banned Banned

I'm not sure I'd say it was a "lucky" win, honestly nothing against Tim Boetsch but his recent performances hadn't sold me on him being a top tier MW. He was losing against Okami until landing the much-needed knockout punch, props to him but it was hard to forget about him losing beforehand. Then he & Lombard put on a lackluster performance that saw hardly any action and he won (some would say controversially) by a split decision.

Philippou looked good tonight, now obviously the broken hand, headbutt & eye-poke seemed like a continuation of punishment that didn't help Boetsch but it's a fight and people get hurt. I was fairly impressed but the win does feel a bit "tainted" by those other factors.

20. tkotom

tkotom Fedor belt

Yeah he got that kick at the end of the 1st but Costa shrugged it off.