Did Costa Phillippou Get Lucky?

It feels rather unsatisfying, there were many factors that tainted this fight.

u can't honestly say tim lost this fight due to lack of talent this fight was a mess and not a true contest

Yeah, I think so. It's a shame that it ended like that. Kinda sad watching Tim on the ground blinded.

Hope they rematch someday. Loved how Tim said "Fuck No!" When asked if he wanted to quit. Lots of heart displayed in UFC 155, with Tim, JDS & Lauzon. Haven't had the chance to watch prelims so don't know what went on there.

I've still never seen a gif of this headbutt. And head clashes are like 50/50 regarding fault. So what does that have to do with Costa?

I heard the doctor after felt his hand wasn't broken. Either way this is because of legitimate things that happen in a fight. So i don't see how that matters much.

Accidental eyepokes happen kind of frequently in this sport. I don't think Tim took the full 5 minutes either. So who is to blame for him not recovering from acidental poke?

Shit happens but it's not like Tim was doing all that great before the broken hand and cut.

I had Tim winning that 1st round pretty decisively. That front kick to the face knockdown at the end of that round was nice.

2nd round... Broken hand, eye poke, head butt. man... that was ROUGH on people that bet $$$ on Boetsch.

They should start counting these pokes and groin shots. Dunno if it would really matter, but it would be interesting to see if some fighters use dirty techniques "accidentally" in 50% of their matches while others for real do it accidentally in 10% of their matches.

Corner: Do you want to stop?
Tim, battered, bleeding and blind: Fuck no!

instant fan

The broken hand was the main issue. He's been bloodied before and eye pokes affect striking more (it wasn't the worst eye poke).

I picked Costa to win, and he did a pretty good job at defending those TD's and landing big shots in exchanged, but I don't think this was a fair representation of their respective skills. In that sense, yes, there was bad luck involved. Boetsch isn't as good on the feet as Costa, he needed takedowns, and couldn't grab a hold of him properly, which was obvious.

It would have been close without the broken hand, I think a rematch is fair. I'd still take Costa because of his TDD/boxing in that.

I completely counted Costa out, once Tim's hand went limp though it was pretty hard to watch after that...

I've still never seen a gif of this headbutt. And head clashes are like 50/50 regarding fault. So what does that have to do with Costa?

I heard the doctor after felt his hand wasn't broken. Either way this is because of legitimate things that happen in a fight. So i don't see how that matters much.

Accidental eyepokes happen kind of frequently in this sport. I don't think Tim took the full 5 minutes either. So who is to blame for him not recovering from acidental poke?

You know when you wait for the 5minutes the eye might shut in that time, so waiting aint the most clever thing to do in every case. So "recover" from that. What an idiot, eyepokes are always bullshit, there is no way around it. Blaming the one who got poked for not taking the 5minutes, lol.

And yeah I am butthurt, not because tim lost or costa won, but cos a good fight was ruined due to shitty headbutts and eyepokes.

Areial Helwani should get Costa on his show and build him up and then say, "Don't you think that you should be asking for a rematch. Many fans think that without the headbut and then the eyepoke, Boescht would have won the fight".

That's what I like about AH, is that he would to that.

Nothing lucky about it. Costa is the better fighter imo.

Nope, he cheated.

He lost his mouth guard and was in a really vulnerable spot so he poked Tim's eye to buy time and get his mouthpiece back.

He should just straight up get released from the UFC for fighting dirty like that.

This is one of those fights where we can't be sure what to take away because the win and loss may be circumstantial. For that reason, I doubt either fighter gains or loses much. Their next fights should tell us more. However, this fight determines their next and we will see Costa fight above his pay grade.

Tim broke his own hand.....Costa can't be held at fault.

Headbutt was mutual, both of them got headbutted.

Eye poke was accidental.

I agree with this. If a rematch happens then fair enough but people calling for a NC or even a DQ need to take a step back and re-evaluate.

Tim didn't break his hand. As for the clash of heads, these things happen. There were two within about 10 seconds - the first one Boetsch moved forward into it and the second one came after Boetsch landed a knee.

I expected Phillippou to win. Boetsch got lucky Weidman got injured otherwise it would have been an embarrassment.

It's a lot like the sea Hawks packer game.

There was an illegal move and bad refs that led to the win.

Back