Did Costa Phillippou Get Lucky?

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I expected Tim Boetsch (sp?) to run through Costa in this fight. Mainly because he is a big MW (used to fight at LHW) and he has fought and defeated the tougher competition in Lombard, Okami etc.

But Costa managed to get the victory via TKO. However, I couldn't help feel that he was kind of lucky to get this win. Here are my reasons:

1. Broken Hand:

Tim broke his right hand in the first round. Joe Rogan was commenting on this and it was clear he was hesitant in throwing his right hand in round 2 and 3.

2. The Clash of Heads:

At some point during the fight (round 1 or 2) both fighters clashed heads with each other and Tim came off the worst. The clash opened up a cut and the blood was flowing into his eyes making it very difficult for him to see.

3. The Eye Poke:

This annoys me, you're watching a good fight between two contenders and one of the fighters paws their hands out and pokes the other fighter right in the eye. Koscheck/Shields do it a lot, pawing your hand out with your fingers open ... should get points removed instantly for that shit.
But yeah, Tim Boetsch didn't really spend enough time recovering from that eye poke ... and was keen to get the fight started again despite not being able to see.

So, yeah Costa won the fight, but these factors make me think that this fight should have an asterisk next to it and given a rematch, I reckon Tim would handle Costa pretty comfortably.

Last edited:
I think you're actually right. Tim didn't look himself halfway through the fight and i'd wager it had a lot to do with the incidents you listed.

Very lucky. Please now feed him to Weidman.

This should have been a NC.The head butt caused the cut which blinded boetsch.

Felt like a tainted win all the way around.

He was looking for that eye poke I think. Dude just fought dirty

It is what it is. Either way, I wasn't all that impressed wit Costa. I'm still waiting for a breakout performance from him. He's talented but it always looks like he's sparring out there. Just never seems like he's going 100%. I know he KO'd Hamman but that guy is a punch magnet.

Well Costa looked like he felt sorry for Tim, he didn't even punch him properly when it finished, Winslow was just waiting for an excuse to stop that fight.

Shit happens but it's not like Tim was doing all that great before the broken hand and cut.

That fight was a comedy of errors. Boetsch's thoughts probably looked a bit like this:

"Ok broken hand, fuck this hurts but I'll push through- what the fuck was that? headbutt? shit now I'm bleeding, fuck this sucks but I'll push through - AWWWW fuckin eye poke! Are you serious? Come on, I mean fucking come on! Y'know what? Fuck this shit. I'm just gonna lie down."

That fight was a comedy of errors. Boetsch's thoughts probably looked a bit like this:

"Ok broken hand, fuck this hurts but I'll push through- what the fuck was that? headbutt? shit now I'm bleeding, fuck this sucks but I'll push through - AWWWW fuckin eye poke! Are you serious? Come on, I mean fucking come on! Y'know what? Fuck this shit. I'm just gonna lie down."

lol, I mean, by the end of the fight, he was pulling half guard .... seemed like he was looking for a way out.

i was dissapointed, i was expecting a lot from costa

there is no such thing as luck in mma

but costa wouldnt of won without the illegal eye poke and head butt

the fight should be a nc and a rematch is needed

costa also has a nc from grown kicks he repeatedly threw against the guy. it should have been a dq.

I thought Tim was going to win this one. There were alot of factors involved in his loss. I'm happy I didn't bet.

lol, I mean, by the end of the fight, he was pulling half guard .... seemed like he was looking for a way out.

Tim quit, when a wrestler pulls guard like that he wants out, he was waiting for Costa to throw some big punchers so he could roll over and have the reff stop the fight.

there is no such thing as luck in mma

but costa wouldnt of won without the illegal eye poke and head butt

the fight should be a nc and a rematch is needed

costa also has a nc from grown kicks he repeatedly threw against the guy. it should have been a dq.

eye pokes happen all the time and the fight is never called off and the headbutt was an accident.

i agree. it was a night of bad luck for Tim. as there were some unnecessary rematches in the past, this one would actually be fair.

Definitely would give it to Tim in a rematch. I don't think this loss is legit at all. He clearly changed after the injury and headbutt/eyepoke. He dropped Costa hard in the first with a front kick.

Fair play to Costa though, dude took it on short notice and performed well.

Would enjoy seeing it again, this time with full training camps for each other on both sides and hopefully no injuries/pokes/headbutts.

Tim broke his own hand.....Costa can't be held at fault.

Headbutt was mutual, both of them got headbutted.

Eye poke was accidental.

Yep, Costa got lucky. I don't think the eye poke was intentional, it's just very bad luck for Boetsch. I see the win as a NC as Boetsch looked like the better fighter in round 1 before all the shit started to happen to him.

Back