Derrick Lewis vs Shamil Gaziev next?

JTDarkseid

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Look, I think Derrick Lewis is a notable fighter who has proved himself in this divison. However, he is so washed up these days that I think its time for him to be ushered out of the rankings. I think matching him up with Shamil Gaziev would be a test for Derrick to see if he still belongs in the rankings. If he loses to Shamil, we get a fighter in his prime replacing Derrick Lewis’s ranking. Thoughts on this matchup idea?

You know they can just build Gaziev up at the regular pace, they don't need to throw him into the deep end of heavyweight so soon.

He was just the first fight of the night on the prelims lol gimme a break.

Erceg debuted against a top 15 opponent and won. I think Shamil would be a competitive fight.
That's true, but I think if they were going to push him that way they would have started with it, he was an early prelim fighter on the last card, hard to see him fighting top 10 next.. We'll see, like I said it'd be a fun matchup.

That's true, but I think if they were going to push him that way they would have started with it, he was an early prelim fighter on the last card, hard to see him fighting top 10 next.. We'll see, like I said it'd be a fun matchup.
I think what most people here are forgetting is that Martin Buday was temporarily a ranked fighter for a brief period and Shamil ended up finishing him. So it does show Shamil can compete on that level, especially against Derrick who is a shell of his former self.

Look, I think Derrick Lewis is a notable fighter who has proved himself in this divison. However, he is so washed up these days that I think its time for him to be ushered out of the rankings. I think matching him up with Shamil Gaziev would be a test for Derrick to see if he still belongs in the rankings. If he loses to Shamil, we get a fighter in his prime replacing Derrick Lewis’s ranking. Thoughts on this matchup idea?

I thought for a second they'd booked this lol

I could believe it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I think what most people here are forgetting is that Martin Buday was temporarily a ranked fighter for a brief period and Shamil ended up finishing him. So it does show Shamil can compete on that level, especially against Derrick who is a shell of his former self.
I think it's also worth taking into account they put him through DWCS before giving him a contract.. He's not getting the MVP treatment.

Nah this dude got one fight in the UFC and nobody knows him. They aren't going to book Derrick Lewis against him.

Back