Why is Gane ranked above Pavlovich?

They’re trying to keep Jones win over Gane as shiny ans possible while avoiding the scary contenders by hiding them lower in the rankings.

Gane was the scariest contender Jones could’ve fought at the time. He was number 3 behind Francis and Stipe. Number 2 after Francis left

Cause the interim title automatically ranks you at #1 when you have it, and then journalists are loathe to demote you afterwards even after you lose it by failing to unify.

We saw this with shit like Poirier getting to leapfrog Tony and then still stay ranked over him afterwards for awhile even though he'd never actually surpassed him barring this interim title. Over a FW.

They should really change it that holding the IC just gets that added to your name, wherever you were previously ranked. Not leapfrog to #1. The only reason they boost you to #1 is so that the unification bout can be marketed as champ vs #1 interim champion even if the dude was like #5 beforehand.

I like how people just shit on Gane to try downplay Jones beating him. Gane is going to be champ after Jones

They're just trying to downplay his most recent win to try and make you forget the rest of his resume.

It's easier to shit on 1 fight than try and obfuscate that Jon is essentially on a 23 fight UFC win streak that nobody else is remotely close to matching or likely will for a very long time.

Why would getting easily submitted by Jones mean you get to stay at 2 in the rankings? I think he's literally Jones' easiest fight. Curtis Blaydes is a better win than anyone Gane has beaten and Pavlovich easily knocked him out. Blaydes is also probably the hardest matchup for Gane in the division, one the UFC seems to be intentionally avoiding. Remember after he lost to Ngannou we all wanted to see him prove his wrestling by facing Blaydes but they gave him Tuivasa instead?
Gane went 7-0 in UFC before facing Ngannou and has wins over almost half of current top10 ( #6 Volkov, #7 Spivac, #8 Tuivasa, #10 Lewis and #12 Rozenstruick). Is Blaydes better than Lewis though? He got KO’ed in less than a minute by Ngannou, in first round by Pavlovich and in 2 round by Lewis.

Gane was already higher in the rankings, Pav hasn't passed him yet. No idea why Pav isn't #1 but also it's not like he got bumped down so Gane could be ahead of him.

Idk, but Gane is in bridesmaid territory along with guys like Fitch, Poirier, Joe B etc.
Good enough to beat most guys but not good enough to be THE guy.

Gane went 7-0 in UFC before facing Ngannou and has wins over almost half of current top10 ( #6 Volkov, #7 Spivac, #8 Tuivasa, #10 Lewis and #12 Rozenstruick).

He got two title fights off that 7 fight win streak. And lost both of them.

What has he done recently? Pavlovich took out the number 3 guy in 3 minutes. I think Pavlovich's current 6 fight win streak beats Gane's 2-2 record. This idea you have that you should be perpetually rewarded for what you did 4 years ago even after multiple losses is complete nonsense.

Is Blaydes better than Lewis though?

To anyone with a brain, yeah. He was piecing Lewis up for 2 rounds before getting caught.

He got KO’ed in less than a minute by Ngannou, in first round by Pavlovich and in 2 round by Lewis.

Those are literally the three hardest punchers in the sport. Now look at who Derrick Lewis has lost to.

Idk, but Gane is in bridesmaid territory along with guys like Fitch, Poirier, Joe B etc.
Good enough to beat most guys but not good enough to be THE guy.

Lol no. He needs to fight Blaydes before we start assuming he can beat everyone else. That was the fight I wanted to see after the Ngannou loss.

Who was more impressive vs Lewis & Tuivasa? Plus beating Blaydes is more meaningful than anything Gane has done.

I know, that's why I put Pav above Gane. But of all the ranking problems to complain about, this one? They're fairly close in accomplishment. Gane was within a whisker of beating Ngannou. And the problem will be solved if Pav wins the interim title.

He got two title fights off that 7 fight win streak. And lost both of them.

What has he done recently? Pavlovich took out the number 3 guy in 3 minutes. I think Pavlovich's current 6 fight win streak beats Gane's 2-2 record. This idea you have that you should be perpetually rewarded for what you did 4 years ago even after multiple losses is complete nonsense.

To anyone with a brain, yeah. He was piecing Lewis up for 2 rounds before getting caught.

Those are literally the three hardest punchers in the sport. Now look at who Derrick Lewis has lost to.
Gane is 9-2 in UFC, Pavlovich is 6-1. Pavlovich came to UFC in 2018, Gane entered a year later in 2019. 11 fights in 4 years. Gane definitely deserves his ranking, no offence to Pavlovich, who’s a great fighter on a great win streak.

So we should praise Blaydes for looking good till he got knocked the f^ck out? Lol
I’m not shitting on Blaydes though, he’s a great fighter, I’m just pointing out that Lewis is ridiculously underrated

Gane was the scariest contender Jones could’ve fought at the time. He was number 3 behind Francis and Stipe. Number 2 after Francis left

the guy that Francis dominated on the mat with one leg? That’s an interesting take.

Lol its UFC rankings. Khamzat wasn’t ranked at MW, he beats usman who has never fought at mw or even ranked, and gets a title shot. When are you guys gonna stop putting so much thought into ufc rankings.

Dominick Cruz hasn’t beat a ranked fighter since 2016…hes currently ranked number 9. Pedro munoz was ranked when he fought dom i guess, but even his ranking crap. Since 2019, munhoz is 2-5-1.

Gane is better than Pav. Not sure what everyone sees in Pav, he’s quite good but he isn’t going to beat Aspinall and I can’t see him beating Gane. I think both handily defeat him. He is plodding and stiff. Yes he has big power but technically he isn’t anything incredibly special in my eyes.

Who has Pav actually fought compared to Jon Jones and Francis? {<diva} Even if you lost, those are the best HW-s

Losing somehow is a good thing now? lol, he got absolutely wrecked by D1 Ngannou, then got wrecked by Jones. Losing to Jones and Ngannou doesn't automatically put you right behind them in the rankings. Tai Tuivasa managed to rock him several times IIRC, and while i like Tai a lot, he's not an elite HW, even with the division being super shallow. Bottom line is Pavlovich has faced and beaten the better fighters, especially as of late. He's also currently on a 6 fight win streak with EVERY fight ending in the first round. He absolutely should be ranked ahead of Gane.

Gane is better than Pav. Not sure what everyone sees in Pav, he’s quite good but he isn’t going to beat Aspinall and I can’t see him beating Gane. I think both handily defeat him. He is plodding and stiff. Yes he has big power but technically he isn’t anything incredibly special in my eyes.

Rankings aren't based off of your personal feelings. They are based on reality, and who has beat who. I also think you are vastly underestimating Pavlovich. So i'll bump this thread when one or both of those predictions turn out wrong.

Rankings aren't based off of your personal feelings. They are based on reality, and who has beat who. I also think you are vastly underestimating Pavlovich. So i'll bump this thread when one or both of those predictions turn out wrong.
I will eat my crow with a side of fries if I’m wrong… but keep that same energy if and when Pav gets finished by Tom.

Gane is 2-2 in the last 2 years, the 2 wins being over Tai Tuivasa and Sergey Spivak. In the same time period Pavlovich is 4-0 with wins over Curtis Blaydes, Tai Tuivasa, Derrick Lewis, and Shamil Abdurakhimov. And Blaydes is the best fighter either of them has beaten.

This is an example of the persisting problem with the rankings where name value matters more than who you have beaten in the last two years. He has fought for two titles and everyone knows him therefore let's put him above the surging contender who is knocking everyone out and deserves it more.
wolf tickets, wolf rankings, wolf hype, all to keep people invested in the entertainment product. he's only ranked higher, so they can sell the next fight with Gane. wake up people, NEO style.

On his way up, just about everyone was ranked higher than Gane. Once you're near the top it's not easy to find someone ranked higher.

Look, I think Pav should be ranked higher because I think losses should matter more than they do, but if you consider Ngannou and Jones the top HWs, then Gane has only lost to them and beat everyone else he's faced.

You give Pav credit for Tuivasa but Gane beat him too. You give Pav credit for Derrick Lewis but Gane beat him too. It's pretty clear the two should be pretty close in the rankings. Pav is fighting for the title so the matter will resolve itself anyway.

There is a certain man named Curtis Blaydes, who you just happened to leave out. Also Gane looked like shit against Tuivasa and got rocked multiple times. Pavlovich didn't.

I will eat my crow with a side of fries if I’m wrong… but keep that same energy if and when Pav gets finished by Tom.
You won't need to eat anything, believe. I think exactly like you, Pavlovich is going to be humiliated by Aspinall easily. And you are right about Gane, he would beat Pavlovich anytime anywhere.

Last edited:
Back