Why is Gane ranked above Pavlovich?

So we rank then according to our predictions about what would happen?
I mean I don't know about you but I'm picking Gane to school every non wrestling power puncher he faces. Just as he's done so far in his career. Hard to believe a guy who clearly won the stand up against Francis Ngannou would have much of an issue with Pavlovich and that's not even a knock on him. Pavlo's a monster with crazy KO power but Gane tends to make those guys look lost.

I mean I don't know about you but I'm picking Gane to school every non wrestling power puncher he faces. Just as he's done so far in his career. Hard to believe a guy who clearly won the stand up against Francis Ngannou would have much of an issue with Pavlovich and that's not even a knock on him. Pavlo's a monster with crazy KO power but Gane tends to make those guys look lost.
I thought that at one time and was mad about that boring fight; but am giving a lot more credence to the claim that Francis was meaningfully injured. He didn't look like himself anywhere in that fight, certainly not in the striking. I think a healthy Francis puts Gane to sleep anywhere. Gane is an interesting matchup with Pav, but he loses on the ground to Tom.

Gane is 2-2 in the last 2 years, the 2 wins being over Tai Tuivasa and Sergey Spivak. In the same time period Pavlovich is 4-0 with wins over Curtis Blaydes, Tai Tuivasa, Derrick Lewis, and Shamil Abdurakhimov. And Blaydes is the best fighter either of them has beaten.

This is an example of the persisting problem with the rankings where name value matters more than who you have beaten in the last two years. He has fought for two titles and everyone knows him therefore let's put him above the surging contender who is knocking everyone out and deserves it more.
Gane also dominated lewis

I like how people just shit on Gane to try downplay Jones beating him. Gane is going to be champ after Jones

Maybe... but he is 2-2 so he needs to work his way up.
At least 2 good wins.

Not just demand a TS after wasting 2 allready

The UFC rankings don't mean anything, even to the UFC when it comes to title shots.

Rankings definitely matter, and having a guy like Gane stay ranked #1 encourages rank squatting. He was quite open about ducking Aspinall because it "didn't make sense when I am ranked #1".

Demoting fighters in the rankings after losing title fight(s) should put a fire under their asses and make them take fights against deserving up and comers, instead of arrogantly demanding title shots or easier match-ups.

Gane arguably beat Ngannou and is the better fighter, at the very least has proven cardio, chin and striking.

Gane is better than Pav. Not sure what everyone sees in Pav, he’s quite good but he isn’t going to beat Aspinall and I can’t see him beating Gane. I think both handily defeat him. He is plodding and stiff. Yes he has big power but technically he isn’t anything incredibly special in my eyes.
What everyone sees is Jones hasn't beaten Pav.

Wasn't it 48-47?

on two cards. 49-46 on the other. I didn’t consider it a difficult fight for Francis. He clearly won with minimal damage. Did you consider it a difficult fight for Francis?

Back