Why is Gane ranked above Pavlovich?

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Gane is 2-2 in the last 2 years, the 2 wins being over Tai Tuivasa and Sergey Spivak. In the same time period Pavlovich is 4-0 with wins over Curtis Blaydes, Tai Tuivasa, Derrick Lewis, and Shamil Abdurakhimov. And Blaydes is the best fighter either of them has beaten.

This is an example of the persisting problem with the rankings where name value matters more than who you have beaten in the last two years. He has fought for two titles and everyone knows him therefore let's put him above the surging contender who is knocking everyone out and deserves it more.

Probably for his outstanding performance against (or for) Pico...

Who has Pav actually fought compared to Jon Jones and Francis? {<diva} Even if you lost, those are the best HW-s

Why would getting easily submitted by Jones mean you get to stay at 2 in the rankings? I think he's literally Jones' easiest fight. Curtis Blaydes is a better win than anyone Gane has beaten and Pavlovich easily knocked him out. Blaydes is also probably the hardest matchup for Gane in the division, one the UFC seems to be intentionally avoiding. Remember after he lost to Ngannou we all wanted to see him prove his wrestling by facing Blaydes but they gave him Tuivasa instead?

Because when guys lose title fights there UFC loves to keep them at the top where they are always one fight away from another title fights. What's the harm in dropping them to #5 and having them win a couple fights? I think the top 5-10 need to prove their spot more than just against the champ.

That's literally not true. Tai was ranked higher than Pav when he beat them. Blaydes was right next to him in the rankings. Who did Gane beat that was higher in the rankings?

On his way up, just about everyone was ranked higher than Gane. Once you're near the top it's not easy to find someone ranked higher.

Look, I think Pav should be ranked higher because I think losses should matter more than they do, but if you consider Ngannou and Jones the top HWs, then Gane has only lost to them and beat everyone else he's faced.

You give Pav credit for Tuivasa but Gane beat him too. You give Pav credit for Derrick Lewis but Gane beat him too. It's pretty clear the two should be pretty close in the rankings. Pav is fighting for the title so the matter will resolve itself anyway.

They do not drop these guys in the rankings as much as they should for losses or inactivity, imo. I don’t give a shit who you lost to. You should lose at least 3 ranking places for any loss.

Everything would be much fresher. Giving guys in the 6-15 ranks opportunities to climb the rankings. I’d penalize rank squatting too. None of this sitting out for 2 years and still holding your place in the rankings.

I wish they’d go back to not having rankings. Since they don’t actually seem to matter anyway. The most deserving fighters aren’t getting the TS they deserve. They keep fighters in or out of the top 10 as they see fit. All to make the most profits. That is NOT what sports are about.

The UFC is NOT a legit sports org. It’s not sports entertainment. It’s entertainment sports now. And that is my problem with the UFC.

Pavlovich has pulled out of 3 of his last 7 UFC fights. When he was scheduled to fight Gane, Pavlovich chose to get an elective surgery and didn't even have the courtesy to inform the UFC or his opponent. They found out when he posted this photo on Instagram.

Because the UFC still think they got some star potential with Gane and are desperate for him to finally win the belt.

On his way up, just about everyone was ranked higher than Gane. Once you're near the top it's not easy to find someone ranked higher.

Name names then. I don't actually think this is relevant but the guy I responded to made a false claim so I called him out on it.

Look, I think Pav should be ranked higher because I think losses should matter more than they do, but if you consider Ngannou and Jones the top HWs, then Gane has only lost to them and beat everyone else he's faced.

Losing twice shouldn't mean you get to perpetually stay at the no 2 spot forever, especially when other fighters are winning.

You give Pav credit for Tuivasa but Gane beat him too. You give Pav credit for Derrick Lewis but Gane beat him too. It's pretty clear the two should be pretty close in the rankings. Pav is fighting for the title so the matter will resolve itself anyway.

I literally pointed out that Gane beat Tuivasa. My post lists what they have both done in the past 2 years and Pavlovich clearly has done more. Curtis Blaydes is the best fighter either of them has faced. You can also take into account that they both fought Tuivasa and Lewis and Pavlovich did it more impressively.

Last edited:

Who was more impressive vs Lewis & Tuivasa? Plus beating Blaydes is more meaningful than anything Gane has done.

They’re trying to keep Jones win over Gane as shiny ans possible while avoiding the scary contenders by hiding them lower in the rankings.

Gane should fight the loser of Aspinall / Pav or fight Blaydes.

He'll avoid Blaydes at all cost though

I like how people just shit on Gane to try downplay Jones beating him. Gane is going to be champ after Jones

Back