Demetrious Johnson Likes Pride Rules

The US is in a malaise right now, but historically everything from the US is superior. The UFC ultimately proved superior when it bought out Pride. Pride was built on a foundation of lies, corruption, and thuggery. The actual product was unappealing to me and a lot of other people. I don't like stomps and knees on the ground. I don't like tiny Japanese men fondling the fighters from the outside. I don't like the way the rounds are timed. I don't like the ring. I don't like the fact that fighters would have to reset anytime they got to close to the edge. I don't like the over the top WWE theatrical BS. I don't like the mismatches. I don't like the way the fights were scored. Etc.
It's obvious you weren't a fan back then when Pride was still in operation. You probably just watched old pride dvds. I admit it doesn't have the same effect. Even though it was only 10 years ago it feels really dated to watch as a new viewer to see the events now. But if I'm you, who the hell cares? Pride is dead. It's gone. When it was in operation you were probably in elementary school watching pokemon. You didn't know what MMA was. So why the hate?

I honestly wouldn't have thought he would like Pride rules to fight under.

I think he would do well under those circumstances and I think it would make his fights more enjoyable too with the threat of knees to the head of grounded opp, and the soccer kicks, stomps, 10 min round, yellow cards.

It's obvious you weren't a fan back then when Pride was still in operation. You probably just watched old pride dvds. I admit it doesn't have the same effect. Even though it was only 10 years ago it feels really dated to watch as a new viewer to see the events now. But if I'm you, who the hell cares? Pride is dead. It's gone. When it was in operation you were probably in elementary school watching pokemon. You didn't know what MMA was. So why the hate?

During Pride 1, I was watching Power Rangers: Turbo and playing with TMNT toys. Pride would've been a negative childhood experience. I watched Fedor vs Cro Cop and it was a snoozefest. I just don't like Pride. Period. Gomi/Diaz is one of the few fights in Pride that actually stands up to modern UFC, and of course it was a fight in America.

Get out. Just because you weren't a fan of MMA when Pride was around doesn't mean it was terrible. Pride had the best rules and judging criteria.
Seriously. Pride had its faults but the rules were not one of them. You could even take out stomps and soccer kicks and it would still be a million times better than the unified rules. Knees on the ground and upkicks make fights so much more dynamic.

During Pride 1, I was watching Power Rangers: Turbo and playing with TMNT toys. Pride would've been a negative childhood experience. I watched Fedor vs Cro Cop and it was a snoozefest. I just don't like Pride. Period. Gomi/Diaz is one of the few fights in Pride that actually stands up to modern UFC, and of course it was a fight in America.
I was there live to see Gomi vs Diaz at Pride 33. :) It was an epic event. But prides problem was more on the business end. I admit that much. You gotta cut us older fans a break. We love nostalgia mma. For a lot of us Pride was our first exposure to MMA. To say Pride sucks is an insult to our very origin of MMA fandom!!! That's why people are so sensitive about it. Personally Pride was awesome.

Seriously. Pride had its faults but the rules were not one of them. You could even take out stomps and soccer kicks and it would still be a million times better than the unified rules. Knees on the ground and upkicks make fights so much more dynamic.
Agreed. The finger tip touching the ground is such cheap pussy shit to avoid being kicked or kneed in the head. I hope they abolish that soon. Also the WWE antics. The UFC is full on guilty of that. Guilty of it in 2016. Not 2004. From James Toney to CM Punk. So you cant say UFC doesn't host the occasional freakshow fight. I'm ok with freakshow fights. Like Cody Mckenzie vs HGH Mendes.

I was there live to see Gomi vs Diaz at Pride 33. :) It was an epic event. But prides problem was more on the business end. I admit that much. You gotta cut us older fans a break. We love nostalgia mma. For a lot of us Pride was our first exposure to MMA. To say Pride sucks is an insult to our very origin of MMA fandom!!! That's why people are so sensitive about it. Personally Pride was awesome.

Fair enough. If someone said Attitude Era sucked, I'd be tempted to kick their ass. And no, that's not a contradiction of something I said earlier.

homelustycrocop0xxtg3.jpg

Fair enough. If someone said Attitude Era sucked, I'd be tempted to kick their ass.
I too was a huge fan of the attitude era. I loved DX and Stone cold the rock. The shit they used to do back then. Wow. No wonder so many wrestlers are dead these days from heart attacks, etc. They went hard in those days. How old are you if u don't mind me asking.

tombstone.jpg

You mad, bro?

Yellow cards for inaction is a retarded idea, for many reasons, but mainly because referees shouldn't be able to effect a fighter's pay. Knees on the ground would benefit wrestlers, not the other way around. The elbow point underscores how retarded and inconsistent Pride was.
Hard to take a shemale fan advertising size matters, with a join date of 2016 and blackbelt due to post count serious.

Hard to take a shemale fan advertising size matters, with a join date of 2016 and blackbelt due to post count serious.

It certainly does matter. Those all add to my credibility.

I too was a huge fan of the attitude era. I loved DX and Stone cold the rock. The shit they used to do back then. Wow. No wonder so many wrestlers are dead these days from heart attacks, etc. They went hard in those days. How old are you if u don't mind me asking.

It certainly does matter. Those all add to my credibility.

Youre a little too young to remember the height of the attitude era. Attitude era was 97 to 02. I'm 32. After that it was ruthless aggression in 2003. Also a great time to be a fan thanks to the WCW buyout. A lot of stars came over.

Youre a little too young to remember the height of the attitude era. Attitude era was 97 to 02. I'm 32. After that it was ruthless aggression in 2003. Also a great time to be a fan thanks to the WCW buyout. A lot of stars came over.

I started watching in '98.

And yes, the Ruthless Aggression era was great as well.

Agreed. The finger tip touching the ground is such cheap pussy shit to avoid being kicked or kneed in the head. I hope they abolish that soon.
I like how DJ takes a shot at Dodson every time this rule is brought up to him. Mofo almost milked his way to the title with that bullshit.

"I think fighters who are preparing to use this as a tactic not to get hit are idiots and they’re not true martial artists."

djillegaldodson.gif

Compared to this.

Last edited:
I started watching in '98.

And yes, the Ruthless Aggression era was great as well.
Lol then u were like 7 years old watching that shit. That show was not for children like WWE is today. I was 14 in 1998. The sexual inuendos the violence, wasn't it kinda uncomfortable watching with your folks? I mean Raw was on till 11pm at night.

Gained a tiny bit of respect for the tiny guy. Would love if pride rules came back. Would prevent so many lame stall tactics.

Who doesn't like foot stomps , soccer kicks, and knee's to the head?

Back