Demetrious Johnson Likes Pride Rules

Several top fighters like Dan Henderson have said in the past that knees/kicks to the head on the ground help advance the action instead of allowing downed opponents to stall and catch a breather.

The no knees/kicks to the head was opposed by Zuffa in the past to sabotage Pride's first event by forcing it to adopt standard UFC/unified rules. The NAC had the unified rule hearings back around 2006 and there were UFC fighters who were probably pressured by Zuffa to make opposing statement against kicks/knees. I remembered Ken Shamrock making his statement but the youtube video is gone now. There were others, but I can only remember Shamrock.

tombstone.jpg

You mad, bro?

Yellow cards for inaction is a retarded idea, for many reasons, but mainly because referees shouldn't be able to effect a fighter's pay. Knees on the ground would benefit wrestlers, not the other way around. The elbow point underscores how retarded and inconsistent Pride was.
Why is that always the answer... you mad bro? I mean seriously, if I was mad, I wouldn't return to this place after a decade... lol...

But hey, da fuck do I know?

I've probably been watching MMA since you were in yer fathers ballsack (maybe you were in kindergarten, i'll grant ya that) and can tell you by having stayed awake far too many late nights and early mornings to watch PPV's of PRIDE and UFC for around 19 years... PRIDE was it's own entity. The purchase and downfall as a fan just lead to a mixing of talent, and since I watch MMA -- NOT AN ORGANIZATION, I could care less. Pride -- which apparently was "terrible" created several UFC champs, had several UFC champs destroyed competing there, and dominated the battle from 1997 to 2007. It had 10 years on the UFC and way more talent up until then, bigger attendance, better fighters.

But.... if it's terrible to you, don't watch. Ignore history, ignore epic fights, and be ignorant as you seem fine with it.

Knees on the ground, 12-6 and all elbows should all be allowed. Yellow cards were a suggestion to fix the fucked up 30-24's of the world : and it doesn't have to be pay... it could be a point deduction. Stalling is stalling, take 1/2 a point, take a point, take pay, but at least get them to engage. That was my point.

Sometimes I wonder why I answer this bullshit...

Who is that?

Pride rules + elbows (including 12-6) in a cage is ideal.

I think One Fc. Has the best rules

PRIDE Fc, had almost perfect rules except for the lack of elbows. And the Ring and restarts sucked.

I also, think spiking an opponent should always be illegal as should stomps to the head of an opponent. Coup countercoup injury becomes a huge problem and very likely when you allow those moves.

I will say though knees to heads, upkicks are a must. I am happy about the partial knees to head now allowed and I am glad that the kidney kicks in guard and clavicle grabbing are allowed again.
UFC flyweight champion Demterious Johnson doesn't think the ABC's new proposed 'knees to grounded opponent' rule goes far enough, and wants more Pride-style rules in today's game.

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has gradually become more and more outspoken the longer his title reign has lasted. Now that the top P4P fighter has held his belt for almost four years, you're usually going to get a pretty frank answer when you ask Mighty Mouse a question. And at a Q&A ahead of a recent UFC event in Salt Lake City, Johnson was very blunt about the ABC's proposed change to a rule about knees to a grounded opponent in the Unified Rules of MMA.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/1...-a-fan-of-new-proposed-grounded-opponent-rule

Really it is the fighters and experts of fighting who want a return to Pride rules but with elbows.

Even Rory MacDonald talked about wanting knees to head and soccer kicks. So many fighters have said this but you always got the babies in here and not real fight fans saying "it's too violent I don't want that eeewwww" well news flash fuckers the fighters themselves seem to largely like it. In fact I have never seen a fighter speak out against knees to head or upkicks.

Stomps is another issue. I remember a wanderlei interview were he said kneed are a must. And he would love soccer kicks back but could do without stomps.

Several top fighters like Dan Henderson have said in the past that knees/kicks to the head on the ground help advance the action instead of allowing downed opponents to stall and catch a breather.

The no knees/kicks to the head was opposed by Zuffa in the past to sabotage Pride's first event by forcing it to adopt standard UFC/unified rules. The NAC had the unified rule hearings back around 2006 and there were UFC fighters who were probably pressured by Zuffa to make opposing statement against kicks/knees. I remembered Ken Shamrock making his statement but the youtube video is gone now. There were others, but I can only remember Shamrock.

If the recent rule changes tell us anything it is that with time we will win out. In a few years full knees to head, upkicks, 12-6 elbows should be legal. With people like Couture, Horn, John McCarthy and Ferrtitas working on this it can happen. All athletic commissions are super corrupt and Dana and Ferrtitas have friends on the Nevada state comission. All it takes is money.

Why is that always the answer... you mad bro? I mean seriously, if I was mad, I wouldn't return to this place after a decade... lol...

I've probably been watching MMA since you were in yer fathers ballsack (maybe you were in kindergarten, i'll grant ya that) and can tell you by having stayed awake far too many late nights and early mornings to watch PPV's of PRIDE and UFC for around 19 years... PRIDE was it's own entity. The purchase and downfall as a fan just lead to a mixing of talent, and since I watch MMA -- NOT AN ORGANIZATION, I could care less. Pride -- which apparently was "terrible" created several UFC champs, had several UFC champs destroyed competing there, and dominated the battle from 1997 to 2007. It had 10 years on the UFC and way more talent up until then, bigger attendance, better fighters.

But.... if it's terrible to you, don't watch. Ignore history, ignore epic fights, and be ignorant as you seem fine with it.

Knees on the ground, 12-6 and all elbows should all be allowed. Yellow cards were a suggestion to fix the fucked up 30-24's of the world : and it doesn't have to be pay... it could be a point deduction. Stalling is stalling, take 1/2 a point, take a point, take pay, but at least get them to engage. That was my point.

He is also wrong about knees only helping wrestlers. There are many cases of it helping strikers and anyone who can sprawl and stop takedowns. 12-6 elbows to the head also help someone who is against the cage defending against a takedown. Upkicks make guard more dangerous and prevent stalling, and kidney kicks in guard are very painful and make a fighter uncomfortable as hell and wanting to pass guard which can lead to escapes or reversals by the guy on bottom. In addition, good takedown artists like GSP could do well in sidemount with knees to head. In fact GSP would have probably finished several opponents of knees on the ground were allowed.

Soccer kicks are also a quicker way to finish/attack someone for a failed takedown. In fact I can see why that bothers people. With knees to head you have to be in position but soccer kicks you can run into them.

In any case even if it did make some wrestlers more dominant who cares? That means more exciting fights and more finishes.

Much of MMA in the early days was garbage. Bragging about being an old fan is basically you bragging about watching inferior talent, inferior technique, and inferior matchups. Am I supposed to be jealous of the people who witnessed live ancient pankration and nuba wrestling as well? It didn't take any effort to be an MMA fan 19 years ago. Any idiot could stumble across it and start watching it. You're not special, to make this short. If you have an interest in fight fixing, constant standups and resets due to the inherent inferiority of using a boxing ring for MMA, or like seeing masked wrestlers and undersized Japanese men fight guys well above their skill level and weight class, then Pride is a good fit. However, if you care about competitive matchups, professionalism, and real fighting, sans any behind the scenes shenanigans, then you should probably look elsewhere, because Pride didn't offer any of that. I don't care that Pride had bigger attendance and 'better fighters' than old UFC, which isn't what I was comparing it to, anyways. Notice that almost every Pride star has a resume overflowing with cans and no-names? That was the Pride model for building a star. For every 10 cans, they would feed the star 1 legitimate fighter of his caliber. Wanderlei and Cro Cop were the two worst offenders. It's not about winning the battle, it's about surviving and winning the war, and the Fertittas did exactly that.

Pride only had a handful of 'epic fights' and most of those fights pale in comparison to the modern UFC. I mentioned Fedor vs. Cro Cop as one example. This is one of the 'epic fights' that everyone raves about. If you didn't know who either man was, this fight would easily have been forgotten. All of the hype and the context behind the fight aside, it was lackluster, forgettable, and a let down. Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 1 alone is better than anything I witnessed watching Pride film. I'm happy to ignore everything about Pride. It's dead and buried and only exists in the minds of fans that can't let it go.

There is no reason to allow knees on the ground. None whatsoever. You might as well bring back gouging, joint manipulation, and groin strikes. We need to make things as real as possible, am I right? 12-6 and elbows have nothing to do with Pride, so it's irrelevant to the thread. We don't need yellow cards for that. There is already a rule against timidity, and it's entirely at the referee's discretion whether he wants to issue a warning, point deduction, disqualification, or nothing at all (same is true for the referee deciding to issue the yellow card). In any event, I don't want referees so involved that they're actually effecting/dictating a fighter's pace and gameplan.

Last edited:
Wasn't DJ's coach Matt Hume the one who developed PRIDE's scoring and rules? No wonder he agrees with his coaches work since they get along so well.

Lol i dont know about pride rules, the UFC turned me into a total pussy.

Then again I'm a hardcore at heart and back then in casper whyoming the rules were pretty muxh 'there are no rules'

Back