Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 26] - Dat Groovy Paradox...

dpprB5N.jpg

So he ain't no slouch on the feet and that was 6 years ago.

Some of his opponents operate in the 145 division so I assume at one point he was also a FW.. tall as FW .. :D
He pulled an armbar too, last year..

He pulled an armbar too, last year..

Yea saw the record and has 2 losses via subs.

So he got that fast KO and the UFC came calling or his connections showed-cased that KO and got his contract cause the time is ticking.

Yea saw the record and has 2 losses via subs.

So he got that fast KO and the UFC came calling or his connections showed-cased that KO and got his contract cause the time is ticking.
He´s from Spider´s Killer Bees Team

Today:

MYTH : Groovy´s main holes in his game are his Striking Defense and his Cardio.

Note: this thread can be seen as an extension of these ones:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ths-part-5-the-true-evolution-of-mma.3807975/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

B4 his UFC run, Groovy fought in several regional events:
Mescalero Warrior Challenge 2
Kamikaze Fight League 2
Xtreme FC 25: Boiling Point
Pancrase 255
Jackson's MMA Series 13
Nemesis Promotions: High Altitude Face Off 7
RFA 32
TSE: Rocky Mountain Rubicon 2

Besides the 'special' El Cucuy fight (short notice fight, as a rookie in the UFC), that he lost while bein´game during the whole fight, he fought 5 other times in the UFC (earnin´1 POTN & 3 FOTN):

2 [competitive] losses vs Klose & Teymur
2 Draws vs Green (controversial) & Frevola
1 [quick] win vs Makdessi

Groovy has a wrasslin´background, but transitionned to MMA as an unorthodox striker, basically..
When he fought El Cucuy, he was still a Purple Belt in BJJ.

The recurrent narrative about Groovy´s shortcomings, since he started his UFC career, seems to be all about his Striking Defense or his cardio.
The truth is, these 2 elements are more consequences than causes of his shortcomings...

His paradox is pretty similar to Vitor Gracie´s one after he fought Wand: while havin´the tools to develop a truly well-rounded game, Vitor opted to rely solely on his striking game, forgettin´about the ground game and potential transitions that could win him the fight, or at least give him the round.

> See in this other Decons Thread:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

Groovy has legit athletism and decent transitions when it comes to his defensive grappling:

View attachment 502361 View attachment 502363 View attachment 502365 View attachment 502367 View attachment 502369 View attachment 502371 View attachment 502373 View attachment 502375

But his transitions on the offensive end are strikingly hesitant and lacks 'conviction', to say the least...
Even when he initiates the grappling exchange, he seems to never fully commit to a potential offensive transition...
In short, he´s got a striker´s mindset since he joined the UFC, while he had a quite a well-rounded game b4 (4 submission wins > RNC/Heel Hook/Arm Triangle Choke)

In all the tough fights where he got really challenged (Reese [legit wrassler - ATT] in Xtreme FC 25,
El Cucuy/Teymur/Green/Klose/Frevola in UFC), he got some 13 rather dominant grappling positions where :

1/ He inflicted zero damage (GNP or havin´his opponent´s back against the fence, absolutely no knees for instance), except once against Green (but Green was already hurt when he hit the ground)...

2/ He failed to pass guard or transition to a better position.

3/ He failed to threaten with a legit submission, even when he got his opponent´s back on the ground.

1 out of 13.

> Cant post these 13 Gifs here in the OP, so look for them in the 2nd/3rd post of this thread.

This doesnt mean that this 'hole' in his game/mindset cost him the fights, but he could have potentially secured the round (and these grapplin´exchanges are quite problematic since he´s the one who sometimes initiates them > consequences on his cardio).

Now, his striking is obviously what made him interesting since he joined the UFC, so it would be foolish to ask him to completely change his game, go full Ground Control...

Still, Groovy´s got to evolve since he himself admitted that he cant cut to FW, and the [sad] reality of Modern MMA is all about weight-cuttin´ (Game is @ an all-time low...).
Groovy is not a small LW, he´s a natural one, but now @ LW you have guys like Chiesa, Khabib, El Cucuy who are not true LWs, realistically...

Hence, gettin´a new contract is not enough, Groovy has to think about his evolution as a MMArtist: Gettin´ a new camp has been necessary since the Klose fight.

Time to...

View attachment 502359

Shout-out to da Groovy Crew!:

View attachment 502405

@Air Lats @anacondavise @Andzso @ArtOfDrowning @Bacco @Ballsaque @BC @bigwaverider @beefcake180 @billharford @charalsias @chinarice @Chivas GDL @clumseygenius @Codpiece @Dana_is_your_GOD @DaPunkMinowaMan @Davey Crockett @Dead Kennedy @ditchbankbandit @djolegeorgee @Dragon Punch @drbolony @DS7 @ejazahmednit @ElCasca @El Che @Elmonstro1 @Erocthadon @Essie @Flex Plexico @FranOlivetto @FrontNakedChoke @Gabe @glenwo2 @GOD...frey Jones @Haj01 @Herwald @hot carl @Huligani @HwoarangStyle @ImNotSurpisedDonks! @Irritated Tomcat @James Baller @Jkaylor @kammfreudenstei @Kaybee @Ken Fresno @knowsitall @Kwic @Kristian82 @KYS @Loko3 @LouisBolanos @MacGregor @Magnum1978 @mayorcrazyeyes @Mike @mikehunt @mirellale @MonkeyGirl @Moretti @Morris88 @Myrddin Wild @NationWideNinja @NinjaNiK @number 9 @Oliver Clothesoff @One MMA Fan @Ottawaguy @OxSxM @Pakman @paynebringer @phunky @politozx7r @PoundMeToo @Psychedelic @qw3rty @Rittsy @RoyJonesJr @Sage NorthGOAT @SakuWandyCop @sangreporsangre @Schoolboy Q @scorpipede @SenorFranko @Sgt Smith @Shamrocker @shertardinho @SimonNova @sirmorbach @Skirm @Slobodan @Soul On Ice @Spinning S**t @Summoning @Swarthy @Teh_Lulz7 @TGArthur @The Best JG @The High Priest @Toco @Tomasz79 @toronto1994 @Übermacht @Valhoven @Warh3z @WarVitor @Workaholic @Yashabo @ZackZed @Zap @2GunTommy @315MMAFighter
Id like to apply to the Groovy Crew.

I'd add to the breakdown in the OP that Groovy should add TD attempts to his "striking" style. Whether he gets it or not, doesn't matter. Jut the "threat" of a TD will help your stand up game because they have to adjust to expect it. That will help out a lot!!

That said... if he does get a TD...

his transitions on the offensive end are strikingly hesitant and lacks 'conviction'
Getting on the offense with conviction is what's up. Perhaps this will develop as he works through his brown belt stripes.

He did pretty good this time though... he got that super sweet highlight reel TD on Marcos, & followed up with an affective accumulation of GnP across the whole round. Maybe it seemed like there was a lot more he could've been doing... but he was being effective... & got the sub in Round 1, so we can't really criticize it but too much.

Either way, he's on the job & working on his grappling regularly.

I know he's working on his cardio. His resistors ignore the fact that round 3 vs. Klose was Groovy's best round (no way in hell Klose won that one... the judges really f*cked that round up big time... & I could argue that for the 2nd as well. As best I can tell, that laceration is the only reason they would give Klose that round after being outstruck. Unfortunately, Groovy cuts & bruises easier than most so it's a bit unfair to say he lost that round due to that. 1st round could've gone either way.)

Frevola is known as a cardio machine... & he & groovy were both fatigued in the 3rd... so that's a testament to how that Potential FOTN's first 2 rounds went. I'm just saying that he's got more work to do, but we are seeing improved results in the cage.

Last edited:
I'd add to the breakdown in the OP that Groovy should add TD attempts to his "striking" style. Whether he gets it or not, doesn't matter. Jut the "threat" of a TD will help your stand up game because they have to adjust to expect it. That will help out a lot!!

That said... if he does get a TD...

Getting on the offense with conviction is what's up. Perhaps this will develop as he works through his brown belt stripes.

He got that super sweet highlight reel TD on Marcos, & though he had an affective accumulation of GnP across the whole round... there was a lot more he could've been doing... & he should not had accepted sitting in Marcos' guard imo.

Still, he got the sub in Round 1, so we can't really criticize it but too much.

Either way, there's room to improve his offensive grappling... & I'm sure he's working on it.

I know he's working on his cardio. His resistors ignore the fact that round 3 vs. Klose was Groovy's best round (no way in hell Klose won that one... the judges really f*cked that round up big time... & I could argue that for the 2nd as well. As best I can tell, that laceration is the only reason they would give Klose that round after being outstruck. Unfortunately, Groovy cuts & bruises easier than most so it's a bit unfair to say he lost that round due to that. 1st round could've gone either way.)

Frevola is known as a cardio machine... & he & groovy were both fatigued in the 3rd... so that's a testament to how that Potential FOTN's first 2 rounds went. I'm just saying that he's got more work to do, but we are seeing improved results in the cage.
Im actually convinced that Groovy could do a much better job at passing guard, but he seems somehow clueless on the ground, most of the time..

Im actually convinced that Groovy could do a much better job at passing guard, but he seems somehow clueless on the ground, most of the time..
I think it's focus. he's just not focused on passing being important... & he's not focused on wanting to stay on the ground.

Perhaps he will learn that... but he wasn't really trying that hard to pass the guard. We've seen lots of people fight happily from inside the guard, so it's not a rule that you can only be effective when you pass. it's better position but I'm just saying that we really haven't seen him try all that hard to improve those positions. Perhaps those stripes on his brown belt that he's currently working on will get that into his head though.

Again... 1st round sub... so it worked. Can't argue but so much that he would've been better off if he passed the guard.

Big fan of lando here, he need just more strategy on his fight and he will be fine.
For me he is a real talented fighter, his technique is incredible, he's not that good at pure jiujitsu but is style is based on strikes.
Incredible fighter in my opinion, let him naturally go forward and probably will be a contender soon.

I think it's focus. he's just not focused on passing being important... & he's not focused on wanting to stay on the ground.

Perhaps he will learn that... but he wasn't really trying that hard to pass the guard. We've seen lots of people fight happily from inside the guard, so it's not a rule that you can only be effective when you pass. it's better position but I'm just saying that we really haven't seen him try all that hard to improve those positions. Perhaps those stripes on his brown belt that he's currently working on will get that into his head though.

Again... 1st round sub... so it worked. Can't argue but so much that he would've been better off if he passed the guard.
hmmm... It worked coz Mariano has a weak guard, doesnt know how to use his [long] legs.
With such a reach advantage and those legs, he had the tools to deny an effective GNP.

Against a more 'legit' guard, and being undersized @ LW, Groovy should work on his transitions on the ground, he has the athletism and dexterity to become more of a threat on the ground.

Back