Deconstructing MMA Myths... [Part 26] - Dat Groovy Paradox...

So you are saying since he joined the UFC he has abandoned his grappling or better said the offensive part because he is half assing it when it's time to use it while on the attack.

He is using his cardio at times on initiating the grappling but essentially getting nothing out of it like say points to win the round, position to rest, damage dealt, threats multiplied etc.

I also wished him he gets a new camp I had a feeling his not really a fit at Jackson's or better said Winks now.

Do you think it is good he signed with the UFC again or another contract in a different place was better ?

Today:

MYTH : Groovy´s main holes in his game are his Striking Defense and his Cardio.

Note: this thread can be seen as an extension of these ones:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ths-part-5-the-true-evolution-of-mma.3807975/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

B4 his UFC run, Groovy fought in several regional events:
Mescalero Warrior Challenge 2
Kamikaze Fight League 2
Xtreme FC 25: Boiling Point
Pancrase 255
Jackson's MMA Series 13
Nemesis Promotions: High Altitude Face Off 7
RFA 32
TSE: Rocky Mountain Rubicon 2

Besides the 'special' El Cucuy fight (short notice fight, as a rookie in the UFC), that he lost while bein´game during the whole fight, he fought 5 other times in the UFC (earnin´1 POTN & 3 FOTN):

2 [competitive] losses vs El Cucuy & Teymur
2 Draws vs Green (controversial) & Frevola
1 [quick] win vs Makdessi

Groovy has a wrasslin´background, but transitionned to MMA as an unorthodox striker, basically..
When he fought El Cucuy, he was still a Purple Belt in BJJ.

The recurrent narrative about Groovy´s shortcomings, since he started his UFC career, seems to be all about his Striking Defense or his cardio.
The truth is, these 2 elements are more consequences than causes of his shortcomings...

His paradox is pretty similar to Vitor Gracie´s one after he fought Wand: while havin´the tools to develop a truly well-rounded game, Vitor opted to rely solely on his striking game, forgettin´about the ground game and potential transitions that could win him the fight, or at least give him the round.

> See in this other Decons Thread:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/deconstructing-mma-myths-part-24-carlson´s-silence.3879035/

Groovy has legit athletism and decent transitions when it comes to his defensive grappling:

View attachment 502361 View attachment 502363 View attachment 502365 View attachment 502367 View attachment 502369 View attachment 502371 View attachment 502373 View attachment 502375

But his transitions on the offensive end are strikingly hesitant and lacks 'conviction', to say the least...
Even when he initiates the grappling exchange, he seems to never fully commit to a potential offensive transition...
In short, he´s got a striker´s mindset since he joined the UFC, while he had a quite a well-rounded game b4 (4 submission wins > RNC/Heel Hook/Arm Triangle Choke)

In all the tough fights where he got really challenged (Reese [legit wrassler - ATT] in Xtreme FC 25,
El Cucuy/Teymur/Green/Klose/Frevola in UFC), he got some 13 rather dominant grappling positions where :

1/ He inflicted zero damage (GNP or havin´his opponent´s back against the fence, absolutely no knees for instance), except once against Green (but Green was already hurt when he hit the ground)...

2/ He failed to pass guard or transition to a better position.

3/ He failed to threaten with a legit submission, even when he got his opponent´s back on the ground.

1 out of 13.

> Cant post these 13 Gifs here in the OP, so watch for them in the 5th/6th post of this thread.

This doesnt mean that this 'hole' in his game/mindset cost him the fights, but he could have potentially secured the round (and these grapplin´exchanges are quite problematic since he´s the one who sometimes initiates them > consequences on his cardio).

Now, his striking is obviously what made him interesting since he joined the UFC, so it would be foolish to ask him to completely change his game, go full Ground Control...

Still, Groovy´s got to evolve since he himself admitted that he cant cut to FW, and the [sad] reality of Modern MMA is all about weight-cuttin´ (Game is @ an all-time low...).
Groovy is not a small LW, he´s a natural one, but now @ LW you have guys like Chiesa, Khabib, El Cucuy who are not true LWs, realistically...

Hence, gettin´a new contract is not enough, Groovy has to think about his evolution as a MMArtist: Gettin´ a new camp has been necessary since the Klose fight.

Time to...

View attachment 502359

Shout-out to da Groovy Crew!:

View attachment 502405

@Air Lats @anacondavise @Andzso @ArtOfDrowning @Bacco @Ballsaque @BC @bigwaverider @beefcake180 @billharford @charalsias @chinarice @Chivas GDL @clumseygenius @Codpiece @Dana_is_your_GOD @DaPunkMinowaMan @Davey Crockett @Dead Kennedy @ditchbankbandit @djolegeorgee @Dragon Punch @drbolony @Dr Hannibal Lecter @DS7 @ejazahmednit @ElCasca @El Che @Elmonstro1 @Erocthadon @Essie @Flex Plexico @FranOlivetto @FrontNakedChoke @Gabe
@glenwo2 @GOD...frey Jones @gono btw @Haj01 @Herwald @hot carl @Huligani @HwoarangStyle @ImNotSurpisedDonks! @Irritated Tomcat @James Baller @Jkaylor @kammfreudenstei @Kaybee @Ken Fresno @knowsitall @Kwic @Kristian82 @KYS @Loko3 @LouisBolanos @MacGregor @Magnum1978 @mayorcrazyeyes @Mike @mikehunt @mirellale @MonkeyGirl @Moretti @Morris88 @Myrddin Wild @NationWideNinja @NinjaNiK @number 9 @Oliver Clothesoff @One MMA Fan @Ottawaguy @OxSxM @Pakman @paynebringer @phunky @politozx7r @PoundMeToo @Psychedelic @qw3rty @Rex Kwon Do @Rittsy @RoyJonesJr @Sage NorthGOAT @SakuWandyCop @sangreporsangre @Schoolboy Q @scorpipede @SenorFranko @Sgt Smith @Shamrocker @shertardinho @SimonNova @sirmorbach @Skirm @Slobodan @Soul On Ice @Spinning S**t @Summoning @Swarthy @Teh_Lulz7 @TGArthur @The Best JG @The High Priest @Threetrees @Toco @Tomasz79 @toronto1994 @Übermacht @Valhoven @Warh3z @WarVitor @Workaholic @Yashabo @ZackZed @Zap @2GunTommy @315MMAFighter
giphy.gif
Much respect mate.

5INN6DA.gif

Lando's problems are the same as everyone else in the Jackson-Wink camp: he doesn't know what the fuck fundamentals are.

Today:

MYTH : Groovy´s main holes in his game are his Striking Defense and his Cardio.

Note: this thread can be seen as an extension of these ones:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ths-part-5-the-true-evolution-of-mma.3807975/

B4 his UFC run, Groovy fought in several regional events:
Mescalero Warrior Challenge 2
Kamikaze Fight League 2
Xtreme FC 25: Boiling Point
Pancrase 255
Jackson's MMA Series 13
Nemesis Promotions: High Altitude Face Off 7
RFA 32
TSE: Rocky Mountain Rubicon 2

Besides the 'special' El Cucuy fight (short notice fight, as a rookie in the UFC), that he lost while bein´game during the whole fight, he fought 5 other times in the UFC (earnin´1 POTN & 3 FOTN):

2 [competitive] losses vs El Cucuy & Teymur
2 Draws vs Green (controversial) & Frevola
1 [quick] win vs Makdessi

Groovy has a wrasslin´background, but transitionned to MMA as an unorthodox striker, basically..
When he fought El Cucuy, he was still a Purple Belt in BJJ.

The recurrent narrative about Groovy´s shortcomings, since he started his UFC career, seems to be all about his Striking Defense or his cardio.
The truth is, these 2 elements are more consequences than causes of his shortcomings...

His paradox is pretty similar to Vitor Gracie´s one after he fought Wand: while havin´the tools to develop a truly well-rounded game, Vitor opted to rely solely on his striking game, forgettin´about the ground game and potential transitions that could win him the fight, or at least give him the round.

> See in this other Decons Thread:

Groovy has legit athletism and decent transitions when it comes to his defensive grappling:

View attachment 502361 View attachment 502363 View attachment 502365 View attachment 502367 View attachment 502369 View attachment 502371 View attachment 502373 View attachment 502375

But his transitions on the offensive end are strikingly hesitant and lacks 'conviction', to say the least...
Even when he initiates the grappling exchange, he seems to never fully commit to a potential offensive transition...
In short, he´s got a striker´s mindset since he joined the UFC, while he had a quite a well-rounded game b4 (4 submission wins > RNC/Heel Hook/Arm Triangle Choke)

In all the tough fights where he got really challenged (Reese [legit wrassler - ATT] in Xtreme FC 25,
El Cucuy/Teymur/Green/Klose/Frevola in UFC), he got some 13 rather dominant grappling positions where :

1/ He inflicted zero damage (GNP or havin´his opponent´s back against the fence, absolutely no knees for instance), except once against Green (but Green was already hurt when he hit the ground)...

2/ He failed to pass guard or transition to a better position.

3/ He failed to threaten with a legit submission, even when he got his opponent´s back on the ground.

1 out of 13.

> Cant post these 13 Gifs here in the OP, so watch for them in the 5th/6th post of this thread.

This doesnt mean that this 'hole' in his game/mindset cost him the fights, but he could have potentially secured the round (and these grapplin´exchanges are quite problematic since he´s the one who sometimes initiates them > consequences on his cardio).

Now, his striking is obviously what made him interesting since he joined the UFC, so it would be foolish to ask him to completely change his game, go full Ground Control...

Still, Groovy´s got to evolve since he himself admitted that he cant cut to FW, and the [sad] reality of Modern MMA is all about weight-cuttin´ (Game is @ an all-time low...).
Groovy is not a small LW, he´s a natural one, but now @ LW you have guys like Chiesa, Khabib, El Cucuy who are not true LWs, realistically...

Hence, gettin´a new contract is not enough, Groovy has to think about his evolution as a MMArtist: Gettin´ a new camp has been necessary since the Klose fight.

Time to...

View attachment 502359

Shout-out to da Groovy Crew!:

View attachment 502405

@Air Lats @anacondavise @Andzso @ArtOfDrowning @Bacco @Ballsaque @BC @bigwaverider @beefcake180 @billharford @charalsias @chinarice @Chivas GDL @clumseygenius @Codpiece @Dana_is_your_GOD @DaPunkMinowaMan @Davey Crockett @Dead Kennedy @ditchbankbandit @djolegeorgee @Dragon Punch @drbolony @Dr Hannibal Lecter @DS7 @ejazahmednit @ElCasca @El Che @Elmonstro1 @Erocthadon @Essie @Flex Plexico @FranOlivetto @FrontNakedChoke @Gabe
@glenwo2 @GOD...frey Jones @gono btw @Haj01 @Herwald @hot carl @Huligani @HwoarangStyle @ImNotSurpisedDonks! @Irritated Tomcat @James Baller @Jkaylor @kammfreudenstei @Kaybee @Ken Fresno @knowsitall @Kwic @Kristian82 @KYS @Loko3 @LouisBolanos @MacGregor @Magnum1978 @mayorcrazyeyes @Mike @mikehunt @mirellale @MonkeyGirl @Moretti @Morris88 @Myrddin Wild @NationWideNinja @NinjaNiK @number 9 @Oliver Clothesoff @One MMA Fan @Ottawaguy @OxSxM @Pakman @paynebringer @phunky @politozx7r @PoundMeToo @Psychedelic @qw3rty @Rex Kwon Do @Rittsy @RoyJonesJr @Sage NorthGOAT @SakuWandyCop @sangreporsangre @Schoolboy Q @scorpipede @SenorFranko @Sgt Smith @Shamrocker @shertardinho @SimonNova @sirmorbach @Skirm @Slobodan @Soul On Ice @Spinning S**t @Summoning @Swarthy @Teh_Lulz7 @TGArthur @The Best JG @The High Priest @Threetrees @Toco @Tomasz79 @toronto1994 @Übermacht @Valhoven @Warh3z @WarVitor @Workaholic @Yashabo @ZackZed @Zap @2GunTommy @315MMAFighter

Solid post

So you are saying since he joined the UFC he has abandoned his grappling or better said the offensive part because he is half assing it when it's time to use it while on the attack.

He is using his cardio at times on initiating the grappling but essentially getting nothing out of it like say points to win the round, position to rest, damage dealt, threats multiplied etc.

I also wished him he gets a new camp I had a feeling his not really a fit at Jackson's or better said Winks now.

Do you think it is good he signed with the UFC again or another contract in a different place was better ?
He obviously had to sign where he got them $$$, but I wouldnt have minded him signin´ with Bellator or One for instance, too much 'politics' involved in the UFC LW Div...

The Teymur fight was clearly a let down.Teymur was not supposed to be the one gettin´ the TDs...
I feel Groovy felt he was on fire after the HL KO against Makdessi, some pride involved against a decorated striker...
That was indeed the fight where he could have showcased his [potential] well-rounded game...

Of course, people are gonna say that the 4 subs he got b4 his UFC run were against lesser competition, but Teymur, realistically, is still a rookie when it comes to MMA...still one-dimensional..

The way I see it, Groovy should train under a coach (da Wizard!) who will make him refine his all-around game, especially his transitions on the ground.

He obviously had to sign where he got them $$$, but I wouldnt have minded him signin´ with Bellator or One for instance, too much 'politics' involved in the UFC LW Div...

The Teymur fight was clearly a let down.Teymur was not supposed to be the one gettin´ the TDs...
I feel Groovy felt he was on fire after the HL KO against Makdessi, some pride involved against a decorated striker...
That was indeed the fight where he could have showcased his [potential] well-rounded game...

Of course, people are gonna say that the 4 subs he got b4 his UFC run were against lesser competition, but Teymur, realistically, is still a rookie when it comes to MMA...still one-dimensional..

The way I see it, Groovy should train under a coach (da Wizard!) who will make him refine his all-around game, especially his transitions on the ground.

Good points.

I also don't understand how he can't make FW he is still young-ish and we have guys like Ortega and Max that seem just as big as him if not bigger if they went to LW.

Yea I get he is a normal sized LW but I don't think he is cutting extreme he should either try to go down or put a tad extra on him but then again he does slow down after the first 5-10 minutes he ussualy loses that 3rd round and it cost him a lot of victories that way.

Good points.

I also don't understand how he can't make FW he is still young-ish and we have guys like Ortega and Max that seem just as big as him if not bigger if they went to LW.

Yea I get he is a normal sized LW but I don't think he is cutting extreme he should either try to go down or put a tad extra on him but then again he does slow down after the first 5-10 minutes he ussualy loses that 3rd round and it cost him a lot of victories that way.
2 things I definitely cant understand in modern MMA:
> how someone like Groovy cant go down to FW

> while dudes like Chiesa,Khabib,El Cucuy etc.. can go down to LW...or like McNug,Max,Stephens etc can go down to FW

2 things I definitely cant understand in modern MMA:
> how someone like Groovy cant go down to FW

> while dudes like Chiesa,Khabib,El Cucuy etc.. can go down to LW...or like McNug,Max,Stephens etc can go down to FW

Yeah I don’t get it either. Groovy does not have massive legs or a thick torso so IMO he should be able to drop. Is it a discipline thing? I am thinking so as he has shown lapses in concentration inability to overcome his gas tank issues in the 3rd round.

I will always love watching him fight but I have been let down just a bit.

Yeah I don’t get it either. Groovy does not have massive legs or a thick torso so IMO he should be able to drop. Is it a discipline thing? I am thinking so as he has shown lapses in concentration inability to overcome his gas tank issues in the 3rd round.

I will always love watching him fight but I have been let down just a bit.
Perhaps he knows he would have bigger cardio issues @ FW...

Back