DC responds to eye poke allegations: I didn't do it on purpose.

Just mistook Stipe's eyeball as a booger to flick away. No harm, no foul... actually there was big harm...

Hope Stipe knocks his ass out and ppl will know Stipe retired DC. Dont know how this man can just spew this bs, the eyepokes are the most deliberate fouls I have ever seen in a ufc fight, other than maybe Conor vs Khabib. Fun fact, Herb Dean reffed both fights and didn't warn either fighter, stop action, or take points away.

I think its no secret why Herb Dean usually refs most high profile bouts, hes made clear mistakes before, but as long as he sways towards a direction which ufc tells him before, it results in favorable treatment for him most likely. Kind of similar to the recent thread exposing mma media members being sent a guideline on how to rank fighters before fight even happens. The guideline basically states exactly how ranking will change and media members always play along.

Wow, after actually reading this whole thread, there are some seriously sad, bitter people in here. Even for Sherdog, there's a lot of vitriol in these posts. Bizarre shit.

Ive always liked DC but i find his explanation of this very strange.

Is he trying to say when he wears 16 ounce gloves, he can extend his fingers inside his gloves to extend his reach? That is complete nonsense if thats what hes trying to say.

16 ounce gloves will not protect your fingers, hands even your wrist if you arent punching with a proper fist.

I have hurt my fingers multiple times with 16 oz gloves on because of exactly what DC described. For people with short reach, you often have to overextend on punches and end up accidentally reaching with your fingers inside the glove. It's a hard habit to break when you switch to 4 oz gloves. I've literally watched countless eyepokes in the gym when people switch to those gloves for some of their sparring right before fights. I guess those guys were all intentionally eye poking their own training partners though, according to some of these people.

I believed him the first fight, but the ones from the second fight were just so obviously blatant its almost embarrassing he wasn't deducted points.

DC has been showing his true colors as of late. Hurts me to admit it but Sherdog was right about this guy all along. He does a lot of good, but he's full of shit and puts in a holier than thou act.

There is a middle ground between doing things on purpose and doing them accidentally. Call it "accidentally on purpose." What I mean is, deliberately engaging in activities with a high risk of something bad happening without caring if they happen, doing nothing to try and prevent it. And if it happens, {shrug}, "ah well...:)" The risk is viewed as a feature, not a bug.

I can imagine that with DC. That he could do everything to encourage eyepokes to happen, but do it in such a way that he can always say to himself "in this exchange I did not specifically direct my fingers into Stipe's eyesockets" and feel innocent.

DC has his fingers extended to grab onto Stipe's hands because his reach is too long. DC has been doing this for years. He's not trying to poke guys, it just happens when he's switching between locking hands and punching.
yup

I feel this way as well

think he just has some habits which lead to eye pokes by nature.

don't think he's trying to poke people's eyes out

Wow, after actually reading this whole thread, there are some seriously sad, bitter people in here. Even for Sherdog, there's a lot of vitriol in these posts. Bizarre shit.

I have hurt my fingers multiple times with 16 oz gloves on because of exactly what DC described. For people with short reach, you often have to overextend on punches and end up accidentally reaching with your fingers inside the glove. It's a hard habit to break when you switch to 4 oz gloves. I've literally watched countless eyepokes in the gym when people switch to those gloves for some of their sparring right before fights. I guess those guys were all intentionally eye poking their own training partners though, according to some of these people.
Well, you described something that most would never know since nobody trains lol

Then your technique is trash

reaching inside the glove doesn’t make the punch longer

yup

I feel this way as well

think he just has some habits which lead to eye pokes by nature.

don't think he's trying to poke people's eyes out

DC also did a lot of his best work in those fights switching back and forth between dirty boxing in the clinch/collar tie and boxing at range. This necessitates constantly opening the hand back up and then closing it again, with very narrow margins of error. Another thing that people who don't train would never understand. Completely different from your ordinary striking battle.

Really? I feel like Jones' eyepokes look way more accidental than Cormier's against Miocic.

Jones extends his fingers at the end of his ridiculously long reach in order to deter his opponents from closing the distance. Even when he doesn't eye poke them, they literally cannot enter into range safely. They hesitate because they're wary of the eye pokes. Jones knows this and has made a career of abusing both eye pokes and the threat of eye pokes, something only a person with his reach could do. Holding an arm out with fingers extended to keep range is a completely different thing than a short armed wrestler accidentally poking someone while he keeps transitioning between boxing on the outside then getting inside the clinch. Most people in here don't understand anything beyond the end result of an eye poke though.

I don't know, this seems very blantant to me

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nah.

Fatso just saw Jones' roidin' and pokin', drivin' and cokin', and decided he would have his kind of "me too" moment.

....And he was Snorting' and a Frothing', Pictogramin' and a-Whoring',.. alooking where he can stop an take a Pee, Stopped and took a homeless man's cup, as he Peed', the man said "what's up?",...Next day he bought the man a brand new Color TV!
;)

Back