• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DAZN Katie Taylor vs Amanda Serrano April 30th MSG

5th was undoubtedly a 10-8, Katie was almost finished multiple times, 1 judge was smart enough to know the scoring criteria.

No way Katie won 7 rounds, so if you think she won 6 then it is a draw with that 10-8.

it’s pretty unusual for a 10-8 in boxing if there’s been no knockdown. I’m not surprised it wasn’t scored a 10-8

as much as people want to knock women’s boxing ive seen Katie Taylor in loads of good fights. The 2 fights with persoon and with one with Natasha jonas we’re all really entertaining, competitive fights
She fights to her competetion a lot but a hair better, which makes her so exciting. Last night was classic Katie and I did not even think her closest fight to be honest. The problem with women’s combat sports is the really really good females are very rare. It is incredibly taboo for females to get into combat sports so the talent pool is slim pickings, hence why soccer moms with two years of cardio kick boxing can fight for UFC titles lol. The Taylors, Serranos, Shev, Zhang, Namajunas are a. rarity.

5th was undoubtedly a 10-8, Katie was almost finished multiple times, 1 judge was smart enough to know the scoring criteria.

No way Katie won 7 rounds, so if you think she won 6 then it is a draw with that 10-8.

Actually 6 rounds of 10 + 3 of 9 + 8 = 95
4 rounds of 10 + 6 rounds of 9 = 94.

So even if Katie only won 6 rounds and took a 10-8 she wins. I do agree that the 7-3 was harsh.

Round 2,7,8,9 were clear for Taylor.
4,5,6 clear for Amanda, everything else was super tight.

I had it 6-4 (round 1 and round 10) Taylor with the 5th borderline a 10-8 but 10-8's are rarely given without a knockdown.
Anything from 6-4 Taylor to 6-4 Serrano was hard to argue.

So even if Katie only won 6 rounds and took a 10-8 she wins. I do agree that the 7-3 was harsh.

I had it 6-4 (round 1 and round 10) Taylor with the 5th borderline a 10-8 but 10-8's are rarely given without a knockdown.

You are very right about the math.

I think all swing rounds are personal preference. Either you value impact, workrate, and aggression or precise combinations, accuracy, and little impact.

I think it is hard to argue that Amanda didn't out work Katie in the majority of swing rounds.

There are some girls out there that hit hard. Savannah marshal has knocked out her last 8 opponents, and 10 in 12 fights. And the girl in her last fight was fuckin out cold. Proper heavy KO
This is true. A couple years back I thought Seniesa Estrada's KO was cold. Here's a girl that isn't even a puncher and she recorded the fastest KO in women's boxing history (7 seconds) over Miranda Adkins.

I could see the 5th being scored a 10-8 for Serrano but dominant rounds without a knockdown aren't scored 10-8s all that often in practice. As you said one judge saw it that way while the other two didn't. There were some close rounds in there. Katie though got off to the better start and finished stronger than Serrano did. If you look at most live scoring coverage around the web they had it either a draw or Taylor winning the fight. In fact, I've yet to see a single media outlet that scored the fight in Serrano's favor. Most fans and media scored it for Taylor. I don't see this decision as being that controversial.

You are very right about the math.

I think all swing rounds are personal preference. Either you value impact, workrate, and aggression or precise combinations, accuracy, and little impact.

I think it is hard to argue that Amanda didn't out work Katie in the majority of swing rounds.

I think Amanda worked harder and Katie was a little cleaner, I think its comes down to the old counter fighter vs aggressor preference.

I'm not sure Katie has another war in her though and I'd tip Amanda for the rematch even in Ireland. Amanda will be better able to pace herself at the weight (I think she tired trying to finish Katie in rd5) plus Katie has been through the mill a fair bit recently. She's showing signs of wear and tear.

Not having the power to put people away like Amanda has means she's taken a lot of damage in the last three years (particularly vs Serrano, Persoon x 2 (one of which I thought she lost) and Jonas)

I could see the 5th being scored a 10-8 for Serrano but dominant rounds without a knockdown aren't scored 10-8s all that often in practice. As you said one judge saw it that way while the other two didn't. There were some close rounds in there. Katie though got off to the better start and finished stronger than Serrano did. If you look at most live scoring coverage around the web they had it either a draw or Taylor winning the fight. In fact, I've yet to see a single media outlet that scored the fight in Serrano's favor. Most fans and media scored it for Taylor. I don't see this decision as being that controversial.
It kinda reminded me of Fury vs Wilder I!in the sense that Wilder did more damage for short periods, had the more dominant round, but Fury and Taylor put on a boxing class for the rest of the time on their rear foot. I just don’t see where all these plurality of Serrano rounds came from. 10-8 with no knockdown or standing 8 is a bit of a stretch I believe too - if you are able to stand on those feet and don’t let your opponent drop you then you kind of should earn that extra point. It feels more incumbent on the fighter trying to put you down to do their job. I also wonder if the Serrano judge valued forward movement as we see a lot in MMA - a fighter advancing may get their face countered off but so long as they go fwd some judges don’t care.

She fights to her competetion a lot but a hair better, which makes her so exciting. Last night was classic Katie and I did not even think her closest fight to be honest. The problem with women’s combat sports is the really really good females are very rare. It is incredibly taboo for females to get into combat sports so the talent pool is slim pickings, hence why soccer moms with two years of cardio kick boxing can fight for UFC titles lol. The Taylors, Serranos, Shev, Zhang, Namajunas are a. rarity.

i think she had a harder fight against jonas tbh. She hurt Katie a couple of times, she wasn’t fading and it was pretty much all down to the last round. She always finds that little bit extra when needed. She’s a true champ and that’s what separates her from everyone else imo

Female boxing is becoming really popular over here over the last 10 years. There’s been quite a few girls training in the last couple of gyms I’ve used. One recently turned pro and has had a couple of televised fights. The talent pool is growing (in the uk at least). I expect the quality to keep improving

It kinda reminded me of Fury vs Wilder I!in the sense that Wilder did more damage for short periods, had the more dominant round, but Fury and Taylor put on a boxing class for the rest of the time on their rear foot. I just don’t see where all these plurality of Serrano rounds came from. 10-8 with no knockdown or standing 8 is a bit of a stretch I believe too - if you are able to stand on those feet and don’t let your opponent drop you then you kind of should earn that extra point. It feels more incumbent on the fighter trying to put you down to do their job. I also wonder if the Serrano judge valued forward movement as we see a lot in MMA - a fighter advancing may get their face countered off but so long as they go fwd some judges don’t care.
Yeah. Judges tend to prefer the fighter coming forward but if their aggression isn't effective then what good is it? Serrano's pressure was effective but not round after round. Taylor's superior boxing skills, better feet, and hand speed were evident. She was countering her in combination at times and with solid single shots. I didn't like Taylor head hunting so much though and throwing so many straight shots. She could've mixed it up a lot better and gone to the body more like her trainer was advising her to do.

I think Amanda worked harder and Katie was a little cleaner, I think its comes down to the old counter fighter vs aggressor preference.

I'm not sure Katie has another war in her though and I'd tip Amanda for the rematch even in Ireland. Amanda will be better able to pace herself at the weight (I think she tired trying to finish Katie in rd5) plus Katie has been through the mill a fair bit recently. She's showing signs of wear and tear.

Not having the power to put people away like Amanda has means she's taken a lot of damage in the last three years (particularly vs Serrano, Persoon x 2 (one of which I thought she lost) and Jonas)

Agreed. If they do 12 or 10 3 minute rounds in the rematch which Katie said was possible in the post fight interview, it is hard to imagine Amanda doesn't stop her.

This is one of those situations where I thought Serrano looked way better but if you're actually scoring it round by round, Taylor won.

That's fair enough and it is personal preference within the scoring criteria. This fight was very close and to me scored like the female version of Canelo v GGG 2. Not a robbery but a big case to be made for the official loser.

i think she had a harder fight against jonas tbh. She hurt Katie a couple of times, she wasn’t fading and it was pretty much all down to the last round. She always finds that little bit extra when needed. She’s a true champ and that’s what separates her from everyone else imo

Female boxing is becoming really popular over here over the last 10 years. There’s been quite a few girls training in the last couple of gyms I’ve used. One recently turned pro and has had a couple of televised fights. The talent pool is growing (in the uk at least). I expect the quality to keep improving
Agree totally. The Jonas fight was very close. I really did not feel that this fight was that close other than that drama in those middle rounds. When the fight was over, I felt it was a very comfortable win for Katie and was shocked that Serrano got a judge to give her the fight. They do make a great stylistic match up tho and Id love to see a rematch in Dublin. That ish wi be lit!

It very rare for a round to be scored 10-8 without a knockdown …..

it was a very close fight ….. I would of liked a draw so they could run that amazing fight again ….- not a robbery at all though

It very rare for a round to be scored 10-8 without a knockdown …..

it was a very close fight ….. I would of liked a draw so they could run that amazing fight again ….- not a robbery at all though

People keep telling me like i don't already know. Lol. Although the criteria is very clear about what a 10-8 is and how it doesn't need a knockdown. I actually think we've seen more dominant rounds scored that way recently, so maybe times are changing.

I agree, not a robbery, a very close fight that could have gone either way depending on personal preference of the scoring criteria.

round 2 being a taylor round is a very unpopular opinion. Most people had it 1-1 after 2 giving Taylor the first and Serrano the second. Unless this was a typo.

round 2 being a taylor round is a very unpopular opinion. Most people had it 1-1 after 2 giving Taylor the first and Serrano the second. Unless this was a typo.

Maybe I'm getting 3 and 2 mixed up. I know I had Taylor 2-1 up after 3.

Actually went back and watched it again and its not remotely an unpopular opinion. Even the judge who scored the fight for Serrano scored round 2 for Taylor.

On fan scoring at mma decisions website its 80% given to Taylor.
So did most the media cards. Aside from 8 and 9 it was probably the clearest Taylor round.

Last edited:
Back