Dan's Strength Training Log ANGER IS A GIFT

I love snatch grip deadlifts. They feel awesome. Never done them on blocks, though.
Im suprised lily recommends so much high rep assistance. He seems like one of those "everything over 5 reps is cardio" types :icon_lol:

Oh, and I wouldnt like to pick up the remains after the mastiffs eaten that steak :icon_lol:

Good work with the program, looks pretty cool. What are your thoughts so far?

He has said he has never found a point in his training where being bigger didn't help him, so the amount of work in The hypertrophy isn't really surprising to me

Edit: thanks for the info, legio.

I love snatch grip deadlifts. They feel awesome. Never done them on blocks, though.
Im suprised lily recommends so much high rep assistance. He seems like one of those "everything over 5 reps is cardio" types :icon_lol:

Oh, and I wouldnt like to pick up the remains after the mastiffs eaten that steak :icon_lol:

Good work with the program, looks pretty cool. What are your thoughts so far?

He's real big on the swolertrophy work. Not just in assistance movements either. He encourages/programs in high rep work on the primary lifts as well.

So far I'm very much enjoying it. But then it's important to temper that a bit as I have a very child like attention span and greatly enjoy "new" things.
I have to say though it's quite a bit like the training I was doing when I had no clue about anything and was planning to compete in strongman. And... I mean... I got fairly strong.... ish.
I just did what I "felt" was making me stronger. Obviously silly but I am an intuitively good olympic coach so maybe that's tied in somehow. I am not a clever man.
I do feel a good bit fresher coming into training but more importantly I really feel like I have to viciously attack everything in the session. Not only for the obvious reasons but I'm only doing that movement once that week. So I feel compelled to make it count.
I'm enjoying the hypertrophy work so far. Inside all of us is the kid that likes looking jacked. So I get to relive a little of my old bro-rex/biceps Dan style training. And that's fun.

I can't really speak on any gains yet, of course. But I will say just coming in excited and a bit fresh all of my warm ups in the squat today felt crazy easy. I mean up til 345 it felt like more than 225 on my back, tops. Obviously it's an intangible but faith in one's self gets the weight up just as much as actual strength. So, I feel it matters.

He has said he has never found a point in his training where being bigger didn't help him, so the amount of work in The hypertrophy isn't really surprising to me

Edit: thanks for the info, legio.

Indeed sir! And no problem always happy to help.

I just have to monitor my food intake for sure now. Can't swol myself out of any possibility of being at 165. I have no interest in contending with the monsters at 181.

Wednesday, DEC 26, 2012

Bench Press - Rep Day

Incline Bench Press:
185x3, 200x5, 185x5

Incline DB Press:
40#/Ea 2x20 --E

Close Grip Flat Bench:
135x12, 155x12, 175x12 --E

Band Fly:
Green 3x15

Band Pressdown, orange:
100 reps as quickly as possible

OHP:
105x12, 95x12, 85x12 --H(FUUUUU)

--Today was a stark reminder of how weak my pressing power is. The prescribed work was one set of eight reps at 70% of your bench max. At 5 I knew the bar was either going to stop on the way up or I'd miss if I went for six. So, backed down to 85 and got more reps in. Also, need to find my groove for incline work. This is the first time I clearly remember incline pressing in close to two years maybe but I was all over the place, for sure.

--Need to find my go-to close grip. Too wide and my shoulder gave me issue, too narrow and it was the elbow. Also, need to treat the set up just like a regular flat bench. I was definitely rushing.

--The pressing at the end was brual. I kept having to go down because I felt failure right around the corner and for me, 12 is a lot of damn reps. By this point my chest and triceps were shot.

--Perhaps a little too conservative on the DB incline pressing. But then, given how the rest of the session felt.... maybe not.

Cube is definitely looking better and better the more I learn about it. If I ever stop hitting non stop PRs with 5/3/1, Cube would be the first program I'd jump on.

Hey. So do you collect the Warhammer 40k tabletop?

To be perfectly honest I haven't given too much thought as to the "why". As bad as that might sound. I assume for some extra back work. He doesn't really expand in the book about the reasoning as far as I remember. If I'm mistaken someone please correct me here.

I've heard of doing snatch grip rack pulls for added emphasis on the upper back work. It's not something I've ever tried though, as I don't feel the need to change how I deadlift to put more emphasis on the upper back.

I did snatch-grip DL's as assistance one cycle because I felt like real DL's were fatiguing my lower back more than I was happy with.

I felt some significant upper-back (particularly lat) activation while doing them. I don't know they made me much stronger, but they hurt a bit. So, there's that.

Friday, DEC 28, 2012

Heavy Pull Day

4" Block Deadlift:
405x2, 405x2, 405x2, 445x2, 475x2, 500x3

4" Block SN Grip Pulls
330 3x8

Pull Work:

DB Rows, freestanding, alt:
90# 3x8

DB Shrugs:
100#/ea 3x20

--Came into training tonight feeling beat up. Long day at one of my jobs. On top of that I stabbed myself in the hand this morning and I was up all night coughing. Honestly I considered pushing back til tomorrow but I'm glad I just got it done. Hell I had forgotten what it was like to have a surprsingly good session. I feel great now.

--Pull work felt very strong. The programmed %'s were 80% of TM for 5x2 but I felt great so I pushed a bit. I'm not happy with the tightness I lost on the last two sets but they felt strong and easy so.... I'll take it.

--Today was the first time I forgot to write down the programming and of course I made a mistake. The SN grip work was supposed to be from the floor. I'm almost glad I screwed up though because that shit was horrible. Lats and glutes on fire.

--I had duct tape and gauze over the cut in my palm so I used straps.

--BW 173 at time of training.

How the hell did I miss you starting a log?

Technically I have two. So clearly your situation awareness is lacking. Lolol Enjoy my journey into being slightly less of a little bitch.

Cube is definitely looking better and better the more I learn about it. If I ever stop hitting non stop PRs with 5/3/1, Cube would be the first program I'd jump on.

I'm enjoying it thus far there PR-machine. Btw you were one of my first picks in our doomed initial draft.

Hey. So do you collect the Warhammer 40k tabletop?

I did when I was a kid. I still read the fiction. I'm still a huge fan.

I did when I was a kid. I still read the fiction. I'm still a huge fan.

Gotcha. I was just wondering 'cause I just ordered a box set to get myself started a coupla days ago haha.

I've always been into the warhammer video games. But never read any of the books or did the tabletop. figured i had some extra cash lying around, so why not haha.

Gotcha. I was just wondering 'cause I just ordered a box set to get myself started a coupla days ago haha.

I've always been into the warhammer video games. But never read any of the books or did the tabletop. figured i had some extra cash lying around, so why not haha.

Hahaha nice man! Well it can be a very expensive hobby. That's the primary reason I stopped doing it. Well, and time consuming what with the assembly, painting, organizing... but then that's part of the fun.

I'd recommend reading some of the fiction. Especially work by Dan Abnett. The Eisenhorn series is OUTSTANDING.

Hahaha nice man! Well it can be a very expensive hobby. That's the primary reason I stopped doing it. Well, and time consuming what with the assembly, painting, organizing... but then that's part of the fun.

I'd recommend reading some of the fiction. Especially work by Dan Abnett. The Eisenhorn series is OUTSTANDING.

I'll definately check up on that I haven't read a good book in a while. And yea, when I was little i built a lot of model airplanes/cars and stuff with my dad. So I'm kinda into that part of it. But good lord is it expensive, you're right on that part. A friend of mine's got a pretty huge necron army though. So hopefully he can help me get started on some areas lol.

As for The paint, does any model paint work on them? Cause my friend was saying that I should really only use the "citadel" paint. Does it really make that much of a difference?

I'm enjoying it thus far there PR-machine. Btw you were one of my first picks in our doomed initial draft.

lol Dani is pissed you picked me before she could. Or Thee, or whoever

Last edited:

I didn't realize you were a nerd Legio... :)

When I was a kid, in the mid 80s, the Games Workshop stores were like Heaven on Earth for me. They sold Role-Playing Games, Board Games and computer games. They even made their own computer games- the ZX spectrum classic Chaos, which people are still making updated versions of nearly 30 years later- was one of theirs, IIRC. They also produced classic boardgames like Talisman, which I used to play all the time (me and my friends even made our expansion set, with ourselves as characters, and the board based on the town we lived in). Sadly, from my perspective, over time they focused more on more on the wargame and its variants,

As for The paint, does any model paint work on them? Cause my friend was saying that I should really only use the "citadel" paint. Does it really make that much of a difference?

There are, or at least were, a lot of quality paint lines out there.

One of the things GW took a lot of flak for in the past was trying to monopolize areas of mini wargaming including the accessories. Paint, brushes, grit, etc... However I've used a few brands of paint and such and the quality of the GW stuff really is top notch. Especially the washes and texture paints they have.

They also had, if memory serves, a neat video series on using the washes. Even an average to sub-par modeler can put together a decent look using them.

I didn't realize you were a nerd Legio... :)

When I was a kid, in the mid 80s, the Games Workshop stores were like Heaven on Earth for me. They sold Role-Playing Games, Board Games and computer games. They even made their own computer games- the ZX spectrum classic Chaos, which people are still making updated versions of nearly 30 years later- was one of theirs, IIRC. They also produced classic boardgames like Talisman, which I used to play all the time (me and my friends even made our expansion set, with ourselves as characters, and the board based on the town we lived in). Sadly, from my perspective, over time they focused more on more on the wargame and its variants,

I've always been a huge nerd, JA. I was an awkward fat kid, for sure. I clearly remember Talisman! GW seems to have lost a lot of steam lately but I have to say.. I think they did it to themselves. Greed man. Always the dollars.

I like the direction this log is going. Less training; more nerding, plz.

There are, or at least were, a lot of quality paint lines out there.

One of the things GW took a lot of flak for in the past was trying to monopolize areas of mini wargaming including the accessories. Paint, brushes, grit, etc... However I've used a few brands of paint and such and the quality of the GW stuff really is top notch. Especially the washes and texture paints they have.

They also had, if memory serves, a neat video series on using the washes. Even an average to sub-par modeler can put together a decent look using them.

Yea, i might have to pirate that video. cause the DVD/painting guide they sell is epxensive as hell lol. I have a bunch of paintbrushes I can use, I was just wondering about brand wise on the paint themselves. cause 4$ per bottle is a bit more than I'd like to pay haha. Once my models come in im prolly just gonna run down to a local hobby shop and see if I can find anything that looks like a decent quality.

Yeah for your first go at it don't sweat getting the very best paint/brushes. You'll likely be less than pleased with your first outing. Whatever you do, don't skip priming. A lot of guys think it's unnecessary or just don't want to spend the money on yet another modeling item. It's crucial though. Get a high quality primer that goes well with the color scheme you want to use.

Yea, that was the one thing that I actually was planning on getting from games workshop. They sell a spray-primer for like 7$ I think. Which is as bad pricing wise as some of their other stuff lol.

If you don't mind me asking Gfreak which army are you going to start collecting?

I've been thinking about stripping the paint off my old Imperial Guard army and having another go with them with a new colour scheme...

Back