Dan's Strength Training Log ANGER IS A GIFT

Have you seen the movie "The Cube"? It was seriously great:

Yeah I had thought about making a video of it in case it'd help someone else out. I'll do that when I get a chance.

I AM THE ONE WHO IS CALLED DAN.

I don't have one, and I'm not sure how my gym would feel about me showing up with one of the DIY contraptions, so I'd love to see what kind of makeshift reverse hypers other are using.

Been reading up on the cube method on Lilys blog, seems like a good program. Will be checking this log out more often. I haven't been around f13 in a bit.

I don't have one, and I'm not sure how my gym would feel about me showing up with one of the DIY contraptions, so I'd love to see what kind of makeshift reverse hypers other are using.

If you just want to do bodyweight reverse hypers, the most commonly available setup is to put an exercise ball on a bench.

If you just want to do bodyweight reverse hypers, the most commonly available setup is to put an exercise ball on a bench.

I will try that next time. The only issue I see is, the same as any bodyweight exercise, you will need new ways to progress relatively quickly, but in the interim it could be a very good exercise.

Have you seen the movie "The Cube"? It was seriously great:

I recommend this movie to everyone I know, without a doubt one of my all time favorites.

Back on topic, great to see youre back to posting regularly Legio and would really appreciate it if you could take a look at my clean form check.

Back on topic, great to see youre back to posting regularly Legio and would really appreciate it if you could take a look at my clean form check.

Thanks man, it's much appreciated.

I left a response in your thread. Your lifting set up is gnarly.

Friday, DEC 21, The beginning of Old Night

Explosive Deadlift Day:

Deadlift:
305#(60%TM) 8x3

Snatch Grip DL, 4" blocks:
255(50%TM) 3x12

Last two sets of 305 and one set of these silly, silly block pulls:

HBBS, no belt, no wraps:
210# 3x8 -E

BB Shrugs:
275# 3x12 -E

Back Raises:
BW X50, as fast as possible -E

Lat Pulldown, wide as possible:
120 4x15 -E

--Deadlifts felt great. Sets 5 and 6 felt like I was really moving. Played around with my set up a little bit by opening my stance a bit and being a bit further back in relation to the bar as I have a bar habit of pushing the bar wayyyy forward then pulling it back in.
On a few when I got carried away they got "toey". Oops.

--SN Grip work felt really weird. Was very difficult to not do snatch sweeps instead of a SN grip DL.

--Shrugs. Hahahaha.

--Overall felt great tonight. Running a little heavy. But then I know I've been splurging a lot.

Saturday, DEC 22

Airdyne, easy pace, 30 minutes

Hammer strikes:
10 Minutes of 10+Thirty second breaks

Lots of stretching and rolling and such.

EDIT: Fasted for 18 hours today. BW in the PM was 170.2. Noting this as I'm trying to get a feel for how fasting/weight drop effects my performance. Having a big re-feed of 1/2# turnip greens, an 8Oz steak, 8oz of ground sirloin, and a whole can of almonds.

Last edited by a moderator:
December 23, 2012

Sunday BRO DOWN

Yoga: 1Hr

Press:
127.5# 3x8
115# 1x10

2nd set 127.5

T-bar row, d-handle:
3-45's 4x12 --E

KB Press
20kg 3x12 --E

Rev. Flye:
15#DB/ea 3x15 --H(F*CK)

BB Curl:
55# 5x10 -E

Smith C/R:
+140# 5x10 --E

Etc:

--Pressing felt great. Really hoping I'm able to get well above body weight in 10 weeks. Tentatively setting a goal of 185lbs.

--Had fun today. Did the calf raises really slow. Felt the burn. Lololol

--Had a sub instructor for yoga. I had a very difficult time focusing as the damn mat was so slick my hands and feet kept shifting about. Might need to invest in my own grippy mat. Pretty chill class otherwise. You could almost hear the collective sigh of dissappointment from the women in the class as it was made clear that the two guys at the center of the class they were all oogling were not into the girl bits. Lulz were had.

What is the benefit of the snatch grip combined with the blocks? I always thought the benefit of snatch grip deads were the increased range of motion, but the blocks decrease it so I am all confuzzled over here.

[insert obligatory compliment on training here]

What is the benefit of the snatch grip combined with the blocks? I always thought the benefit of snatch grip deads were the increased range of motion, but the blocks decrease it so I am all confuzzled over here.

[insert obligatory compliment on training here]

To be perfectly honest I haven't given too much thought as to the "why". As bad as that might sound. I assume for some extra back work. He doesn't really expand in the book about the reasoning as far as I remember. If I'm mistaken someone please correct me here.

To be perfectly honest I haven't given too much thought as to the "why". As bad as that might sound. I assume for some extra back work. He doesn't really expand in the book about the reasoning as far as I remember. If I'm mistaken someone please correct me here.

I guess I will have to remain confuzzled. Perhaps I will send Brandon Lilly a message asking him and hope he makes a video or something. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Fack, the dude takes questions on facebook, which I do not have.

Last edited:
I've heard of doing snatch grip rack pulls for added emphasis on the upper back work. It's not something I've ever tried though, as I don't feel the need to change how I deadlift to put more emphasis on the upper back.

I guess I will have to remain confuzzled. Perhaps I will send Brandon Lilly a message asking him and hope he makes a video or something. Thanks anyway.

Yeah he has a group just for people doing the Cube Method.

I've heard of doing snatch grip rack pulls for added emphasis on the upper back work. It's not something I've ever tried though, as I don't feel the need to change how I deadlift to put more emphasis on the upper back.

Well I'll be honest I'm always eager to incorporate upper back work. So I'm fine if that is the intent. I've gotten to the point where I really don't relax my shoulders much, if at all, in the set up of my DL so I better have a strong upper/mid back.

Tuesday, DEC 25, 2012

Happy Holidays to anyone reading this. Spend time with your family. Some people don't have one to speak of.

Heavy Squat Day

HBBS, wraps, belt:
275x2, 305x2, 325x2, 335x2, 345x2, 355x2

BB GM's, DL stance:
115x8, 135x8, 135x8 --E

Leg press:
+6, +25's 3x20 --H

Back Raise:
BW x 60 --H

Cable Curls, lying, bi-lat
40lbs 2x60 --E

--Squats felt smooth and strong. Programming called for a very easy "heavy" day but I was feeling pretty damn solid so I pushed a wee bit. The plan was 5x2 so I just ascended till I felt I was losing speed and went into acces. work.

--Holy assistance batman. My posterior is on fire. Glad I stayed conservative on everything. Leg presses weren't heavy I just started to run out of steam around rep 12-14 pretty consistently. My hams are so pumped right now, hahahah.

--Feel I made the right decision in not trying to train through the pain I had from the migraine yesterday. Today felt pretty productive.

--BW at 173 this AM. This is surprising given the massive feast I made for myself and the dogs last night. Including an entire tri tip that I ate a good 2/3 of. The mastiffs went bat shit over the rest.

At the end of the book he lightly touches on some of the assistance movements he recommends. Including the snatch grip block DL.

In short, he recommends them for extra mid back and glute work. I will be honest my ass was hurting pretty good afterwards. I mean not American History X bad or anything.... but bad.

I love snatch grip deadlifts. They feel awesome. Never done them on blocks, though.
Im suprised lily recommends so much high rep assistance. He seems like one of those "everything over 5 reps is cardio" types :icon_lol:

Oh, and I wouldnt like to pick up the remains after the mastiffs eaten that steak :icon_lol:

Good work with the program, looks pretty cool. What are your thoughts so far?

Back