Daniel Cormier: "Gustafsson is the top challenger, and Jones wants no part of it."

How is Bones scared? He didn't want the Machida rematch either. He simply wants to add more names to his list.

This is what I'd like to believe, but for as much as Jones likes to talk about his legacy, you'd think he'd want to rematch with the first fight being so close. But then again, he may be thinking " a win is a win"

Well obviously DC is smarter than Jones. I mean Jon doesn't do himself any favors when he goes out on twitter whining about how "unfair" it is to have to fight both DC and Gus eventually. Not very champion like of him at all.

When Jones is constantly putting his foot in his mouth, its easy to make yourself look good by comparison. Jones is making this easy for DC.

Yes, I guess a good rule of thumb for marketing oneself like the "good guy" is study Bones, then do the exact opposite.

That's incredibly honest. He just as easily could've said "yeah I'm the tougher opponent and I deserve to fight him so Jon is right".

Respect.

No doubt. I like daniel and I also like gus. Both straight up guys.

The Biggest name in the Company (That's still a champ and male) wants to get the best deal possible in return for fighting the best fighters in the world in a sport in which you could literally be left limbless .. but on Sherdog wanting more money = Being afraid of a guy you never lost to .

Keep reaching dwellers .. Keep reaching.

Reaching? Come on man. Use your "Unbiased" head. Its pretty easy to see.

Cormier says that he wants to fight Jones next.

Jones supposedly asks to fight him.

Then Cormier says Jones is scared of the number one contender.

Sometimes this whole scenario looks like everyone is trying to make Jones look bad.

So after years of talking trash from the heavyweight division, and months of talking trash to Bones after the shift to LHW, Daniel "the company man" Cormier is now once again not interested in the potential for a title fight (just as he backed away from one at HW)?

The man has done nothing but call Bones out at every turn, using his position as a UFC announcer to help further his talk, and now that Dana White says JBJ may have interest (which none of this is actually coming from the champ's camp mind you), he immediately backs off? Very weird to see play out.

After Hendo fight, Cormier begged for a Bones matchup:

What happened to that guy who fought Shogun on short notice?
I guess money and success do change people.

Well obviously DC is smarter than Jones. I mean Jon doesn't do himself any favors when he goes out on twitter whining about how "unfair" it is to have to fight both DC and Gus eventually. Not very champion like of him at all.

When Jones is constantly putting his foot in his mouth, its easy to make yourself look good by comparison. Jones is making this easy for DC.

Not his argument. Jones argued that anyone perceived as a legitimate threat to him gets easy match ups so they can keep winning until their chance to fight him. That part is hard to argue.

Also just consider similar situations that aren't being handled the same.

Robbie Lawler lost a razor close decision to Hendricks. He has already won one fight and has a second scheduled both against guys in the top 10. Gus had one fight against a guy in the top 15 and that earned him a rematch.

Gus and Cormier, pretty much universally considered the top two LHW contenders are being kept away with the hope that they don't lose before a fight with Jones. At WW the 1 and 2 contenders are preparing to fight.

I'm not going to say Jones is right, but people who act like Jones opinions are just whining and have no basis are pretty absurd.

Not his argument. Jones argued that anyone perceived as a legitimate threat to him gets easy match ups so they can keep winning until their chance to fight him. That part is hard to argue.

Robbie Lawler lost a razor close decision to Hendricks. He has already won one fight and has a second scheduled both against guys in the top 10. Gus had one fight against a guy in the top 15 and that earned him a rematch.

Gus and Cormier, pretty much universally considered the top two LHW contenders are being kept away with the hope that they don't lose before a fight with Jones. At WW the 1 and 2 contenders are preparing to fight.

I'm not going to say Jones is right, but people who act like Jones opinions are just whining and have no basis are pretty absurd.

The difference here is that there are a lot of close competitors at WW, whereas at LHW who else do you have besides Gustafsson and Cormier (who may be injured at the moment)?

The Biggest name in the Company (That's still a champ and male) wants to get the best deal possible in return for fighting the best fighters in the world in a sport in which you could literally be left limbless .. but on Sherdog wanting more money = Being afraid of a guy you never lost to .

He's an athlete under contract, that he freely signed. I hate when people try to rationalize athletes holding out.

Jonny has made enough to last him a lifetime and signed a contract that he should honor, with FIVE fights left.

ps - according to Dana, the money isn't even the issue right now, which makes sense being that he's in the middle of a contract.

Kind of pointless to compare the 2 divisions.

WW is stacked with potential contenders right now.

LHW is not. I mean, Jones fought 2 MWs back to back.

And even if it made sense to have Gus and DC fight in a #1 contenders match, we would have to wait until DC has knee surgery.

I guess some people don't mind if a healthy Jones sits out for a year.

I actually feel for Jones here,

He's been at the top of the mountain for years now and I sense the pressure is getting to him (GSP style), constantly having to fight killers. The Gus fight as DC says really took something from him, it was like Apollo Vs Rocky in Rocky I. Both men go through hell and in only one really emerged after than.

Now his situation is this, with the pressure building and less than a year removed from a brutalisation at the hands of Gus, Jones facing the prospect of facing an improved version of him again...with a destroyer lined up right behind him.

I think if he beats both Gus and DC he'll be the all time GOAT, disputed only by the mentally retarded.

Likelihood of that happening? Slim, i think he beats Gus handily but DC destroys him.

As the man himself said last year..

DC: "Jon Jones, grow up bud, we're going to fight regardless of how you feel. And when we do and I'm cutting the line and you might as well pull the guard because I'm taking you down."

Such insincere words from DC - he's SO fucking stoked Bones is pulling this shit, because he can attack Bones and come out looking like the nice guy who supported Gus in one fell swoop.

Keep looking like a gentleman, DC - it will only help your marketability.

That being said, I can't believe people are falling for this.

Marketable Cormier reminds me of Serious Silva. I like it that's a good one.

the entire division is fucked anyway.

LHW Rumble is going to flatten everyone.

Anthony-Rumble-Johnson-dropped-by-today-to-score-some-Roots-Of-Fight-Tees.jpg

Why did you put that in quote as if Cormier said that?

He never said "Jones wants no part of it."

Kevin Iole (Yahoo writer) wrote that.

This was Cormier's quote:

"He had to reach so deep into his soul to win that last fight, I truly believe he doesn't want to fight Alex again," Cormier told Yahoo Sports. "Alex took him somewhere he'd never been before and he doesn't want to go there ever again."

Wants no part of it and he doesn't want to go there ever again are pretty similar

1. If Jones wants more money, I have no problem with that.

2. Had he planned on using delaying tactics to get more money, he would have been smarter to say very little about Cormier and Gus over the past months. Whether or not he is ducking anyone, he has done a lot to create the impression that he is, and this detracts from his ability to get the best deal.

3. There has been plenty of talk from all sides, but no one has mentioned that money is the issue here to my knowledge. What makes you so certain that the issue is Jones trying to renegotiate his contract?

What happened to that guy who fought Shogun on short notice?
I guess money and success do change people.

Shogun had a lot more weaknesses than Gus or DC.

Despite digging deep in the Gus fight Jones isn't really a warrior, dude wants to retire by age 30 ffs. That's not a warrior. Dude is very athletically gifted but doesn't have what it takes mentally right now to be an all-time great.

Unless he changes his mental fortitude, Jones will go down in history as a talented dude who helped usher in the post-pride era but he doesn't have the warrior spirit to be an all time great (which isnt really a knock -- very few ppl have the skills AND heart to be an all time great.)

Back