Daniel Cormier: "Gustafsson is the top challenger, and Jones wants no part of it."

i've always respected cormier for his skill and ability, but this really makes me like him better. he could easily just keep quite and jump at the opportunity to step in front of gus. i like that he views gus as the #1 contender and says he'd fight gus for the interim belt.

cormier already knows that he deserves a title shot, but recognizes that gus has earned it before him. it's hard to find fighter's that admit stuff like this. much respect to cormier.

I'm a big fan of Jones and I find it hard to defend/ understand him here.

Gus probably should have fought a top ranked guy to earn another shot, but that ship has sailed, so Jones should just get on with it.

Hopefully it goes ahead and Jones wins again, but more convincingly.

....I feel old

.......I can remember a time when fighters FOUGHT whoever was in front of them....and didn't request certain challengers

-I wonder how much different mma history would have been if
-Randy said NO to chuck a 2nd time(he beat him pretty decisively the 1st time so what was the point)
-Matt hughes said no to GSP a 2nd time(he subbed him first go, why do a rematch)

GSP fought 5 times to get that rematch, hardly the same

-Pulver told bj to fck off(he beat him all 5rds first time..bj didn't DESERVE a rematch)

Pulver was the one with most to gain from that rematch. He'd also just been knocked out by Lauzon and was offered the big opportunity of coaching on TUF

-Junior said cain should wait and that he thought Allistar was a tougher fight(he had already KO'd brown pride)

Becoming disillusioned with the sport

Fair enough with the others though. I just think that we're finally starting to see the fighters have more power.

Also, nobody complained when PRIDE protected their champs. What's the difference? If Jones was in Pride, he'd have only had to defend his belt a lot less.

i've always respected cormier for his skill and ability, but this really makes me like him better. he could easily just keep quite and jump at the opportunity to step in front of gus. i like that he views gus as the #1 contender and says he'd fight gus for the interim belt.

cormier already knows that he deserves a title shot, but recognizes that gus has earned it before him. it's hard to find fighter's that admit stuff like this. much respect to cormier.

so did you respect him less when he asked JBJ for a TS on the post fight fox interview? Skip Gus and fight me!! Now when he hears thats exactly whats happening, he acts all big and says JBJ should fight gus 1st.

He is actling like a child.

Duck_flies.gif

canadian geese are bitch ass jerks. so yeah.

what is with the goose picture?

Did one of them grab the others butt cheeks

I was looking for appropriate gifs and that was the only one that really met the requirements. I know (knew) it's a goose but decided to go with it anyway. I'm glad you noticed.

After his last fight. Live on tv he told jones gus had no chance and thar jones should fight him instead

lol, he's just trying to make Jones look bad. But it seems like a miscalculated effort, since it makes him look silly, after all the callouts.

didn't he sustain an injury in his win over dan Henderson he probably wants more time to be healthy also he might think that Gus can beat Jones and Gus maybe who he thinks he has the best chance against .

Could it just be that DC don't want a title fight cause of a messed up knee? That makes him a clown?

He is a clown for this trolling which is what this is. He had some choice words for Jones live on TV about Gus not having a chance against him and asked jones to face him.

He was also willing to fight jones at any time or place and wanted to jump ahead of Gus before he came down to LHW. He trolled Jones on a phone interview about jones giving him a fight and stated he wanted to jump ahead of Gus to fight jones on a few occasions. .

Jones fought Gus when he was recouping a broken toe and made a concession for Gus. Jones fought into his toe injury and right into a Gus fight. I am sure Cormier would have concessions to heal his knee if he supposedly has this fabled hurt knee.

There are two sides to a story and this little fiasco is being stated by Dana who 99% of time is full of shit. Most of the adults are waiting on jones to speak on the issue and tells us the truth.

DC wanted to skip ahead of Gus and prodded jones on a radio station because of it. He mouthed off about Gus having no chance in a rematch against Jones. Now all of a sudden he wants to push this little idiocy about jones not wanting to face Gus when he called out Jones.

DC is playing a game but I see some of the little children on here cant tell.

Last edited:
After his last fight. Live on tv he told jones gus had no chance and thar jones should fight him instead

Yeah, I wonder why the change of heart? Jones did say before that a lot of guys talk about fighting him when they have a fight lined up with someone else. When its time to fight him, they don't talk as much.

Anyways, I still believe Jones will be fighting Gus first but not on the August 30th date. I'm thinking late September, early October. If he doesn't, the shitstorm he is receiving now will triple. However, I'm starting to think Jones does not care about the fans as much as he cares about his money.

All the people saying that Cormier is contradicting itself seem to have missed the fact that Cormier has some potentially serious trouble with his knee so he can't take a fight that soon.

Of course DC wants Jones to fight gus because DC doesn't really want that title shot he just wants to talk it up like he does but he'd prefer padding his record with Barista's and Old vets who should have called it quits years ago. He also doesn't want to fight gus

My bet is he'll call out Phil Davis once Jones vs Gus 2 happens.

And maybe we'll see him fight for the title in late late 2015 early 2016 ;)

Could it just be that DC don't want a title fight cause of a messed up knee? That makes him a clown?

So his knee is healthy enough now to offer to fight Gus for an interim belt, but not healthy enough to fight the undisputed #1 in the LHW division? That actually makes sense if the intent is to win a meaningless belt and avoid the real champ.

DC is a company man, running his mouth for Dana and to try to make Jones look bad. And for a guy who first didn't want to fight Velasquez fir the belt because they're buddies, and all the sudden again doesn't want to fight JBJ for the belt because he doesn't feel he deserves it (after talking trash for years) -- I don't think he's in a position to talk about other people avoiding fights. Particularly if the person he's talking about is the reigning champ who has already beaten ever other real contender in the division.

Wait, didn't Dana just say that Jones doesn't want to fight Alex because he wants Cormier? If so, why in the blue hell is DC trying to egg Jones on to fight someone else?

Wait, didn't Dana just say that Jones doesn't want to fight Alex because he wants Cormier? If so, why in the blue hell is DC trying to egg Jones on to fight someone else?

Why did Cormier say that Gus had no chance against Jones in rematch and asked Jones to fight him instead.

This shit is ridiculous

Why did Cormier say that Gus had no chance against Jones in rematch and asked Jones to fight him instead.

This shit is ridiculous

Yea, it's completely ridiculous. Make no mistake, Jones is fighting Gus either in August or September and then Cormier early next year. All this bullshit now is purely window dressing. Johnson - Bagautinov doesn't harden the mainstream's communal nipples and the broadcast panel has effectively exhausted the Ronda v. Mayweather discussion. The UFC needs something to talk about.

That's incredibly honest. He just as easily could've said "yeah I'm the tougher opponent and I deserve to fight him so Jon is right".

Respect.

Well, I think DC can claim to be the tougher opponent, still. The difference is that if DC wins, it's likely going to be a decision. It could be a sub. It's unlikely that Jones is going to eat many strikes, either way, and I'm sure Jones is confident that the majority of strikes he would eat from D.C. wouldn't be damaging ones. Jones probably thinks D.C. would grind him with little clinch strikes or, if he secured the takedown, with pitter-patter from guard.

Gus, on the other hand, is going to punch Bones in the face a hundred times or so. Again.

It's not about winning or losing, or who is the better opponent. It's about Bones being hospitalized, hurt badly, swollen, and bleeding out of every hole in his face to get the win. Win or lose against Cormier, that's unlikely to be the case.

I think Jones still beats both guys, and then all this talk will be over.

Not his argument. Jones argued that anyone perceived as a legitimate threat to him gets easy match ups so they can keep winning until their chance to fight him. That part is hard to argue.

Also just consider similar situations that aren't being handled the same.

Robbie Lawler lost a razor close decision to Hendricks. He has already won one fight and has a second scheduled both against guys in the top 10. Gus had one fight against a guy in the top 15 and that earned him a rematch.

Gus and Cormier, pretty much universally considered the top two LHW contenders are being kept away with the hope that they don't lose before a fight with Jones. At WW the 1 and 2 contenders are preparing to fight.

I'm not going to say Jones is right, but people who act like Jones opinions are just whining and have no basis are pretty absurd.

I don't feel that you can compare the situations in the two weight classes.

WW has a freshly minted champion and lots of non-rematch contenders lining up.

This is not the case at LHW. I mean, name five guys you'd like to see Jones fight that he hasn't already.
Now name five guys you'd like to see Hendricks fight that he hasn't already.
Assuming you like competitive match ups, I'm willing to bet you come up with more WW names.

So, it makes sense from a business perspective to try and wrangle TS's for both Gus and DC. They're just aren't that many answers left. The only fights at LHW that I want to see are Gus, DC, and maybe Rumble. Although I'd like to see one more strong outing from Rumble beforehand.

But if you just disagree with contenders being protected or fast tracked in general, no argument here.

Back