Daniel Cormier Fires Back At Jones' 'Athlete' Remarks

But the difference is those guys play basketball. Jones doesnt. If you play ball you would know he isnt even jumping right. He's doesnt even bend his knees much. When u watch basketball players jump, its not just pure natural ability, you gotta jump, practice, work on your calves etc.

If you are trying to imply that jones isnt athletic because he is jumping wrong and isnt even use to jumping, i want you to watch videos of basketball players and football players hitting mitts or the heavy bag, they cant punch for shit. do you remember chris childs vs kobe bryant around 1999? Those punches look like they came from a school yard. Ive seen bum fights who throw better punche, doesnt mean kobe and childs isnt athletic.

Im definitely not implying JJ isn't athletic, hello no, he is one of the most athletic fighters in ufc for sure.

My point was it is surprising to me at his height/reach and age, he couldn't come close to dunking (at least from the video, that was an awful attempt). Ur right, he seemed very uncoordinated moving with the basketball and prob didn't play much..its was just kinda hard for me to imagine a kid growing up in ny with family of brothers he didn't at least play some ball.

Ill just say that its fucking dumb to mock someones athleticism while being lesser athlete yourself. Talking shit about not getting a medal in the olympics while he couldnt even outwrestle Matt Riddle. All the hate Jones gets, he deserves.

U must not like jones. Heres the thing about trash talking, you are TRYING to get under someones skin. Jones mocking cormier's failed attempt at his greatest glory was a great way to get under DC's skin.

When an average joe is talking shit about peyton manning always choking in the post season, nobody is trying to compare that guy to peyton manning, but i guarantee you it definitely bothers manning when people bring up his shit performances in the playoffs or superbowl.

Im 5 10 and can grab rim also.....thats weird jones at 6'4 with a million inch reach cant dunk

Jones actually has a pretty imbalanced body. His arms are nearly as thick as his legs, likely due to him working those muscles more. He probably doesn't have the muscles needed to boost himself up to the rim.

Honestly, I'm 6'4" also, and even at that height we're still a long way from the rim. Jones may have slightly longer arms than me, but we're talking a couple inches, not enough to make much difference. From my perspective, I'm not at all surprised he has trouble dunking.

If you're tall you have a lot more bone mass to boost, and if you're skinny then your muscle/weight ratio is probably worse than a shorter person. On top of that Jones has to contend with a relatively overdeveloped upper body compared to his legs, and since upper body mass doesn't help at all with jumping, that's just going to make it harder for him to reach the rim.

Last edited:
But the difference is those guys play basketball. Jones doesnt. If you play ball you would know he isnt even jumping right. He's doesnt even bend his knees much. When u watch basketball players jump, its not just pure natural ability, you gotta jump, practice, work on your calves etc.

If you are trying to imply that jones isnt athletic because he is jumping wrong and isnt even use to jumping, i want you to watch videos of basketball players and football players hitting mitts or the heavy bag, they cant punch for shit. do you remember chris childs vs kobe bryant around 1999? Those punches look like they came from a school yard. Ive seen bum fights who throw better punche, doesnt mean kobe and childs isnt athletic.

I don't think most of Sherdog understands what a "great athlete" is supposed to mean. You are right, Jones looks incredibly awkward and uncoordinated with the basketball and when jumping. What may be the best way to describe a great athlete is someone who can excel at almost any sport naturally; they will never look awkward when trying to dunk a basketball, for instance. Take Bo Jackson, who many people consider the greatest pure athlete of our time. He excelled at football and then became a very good professional baseball player later in life, as well. A great athlete can become better at a given sport with much less practice than a less athletic player.

The standards that many people use to determine a great athlete are not by coincidence many of the same metrics used at the NFL combine. Think of speed, strength, and explosiveness (not in the way that Sherdog uses that term). Both speed and explosiveness are measured in the 40 yard dash. Vertical jump and broad jump test explosiveness. 3 cone drill and shuttle measure speed and ability to change direction on the feet. In addition to tangibles like these measures, there is the intangible element that I described earlier about being able to transition to any sport and excel and not look awkward.

Jones has never shown to be a great athlete. His vertical is obviously horrendous (shown by the dunk video), and he has shown to be awkward and not adept at any other sports. His brothers even make fun of his lack of athletic ability. That being said, there is no denying that he has become successful at winning fights under the current rules. There is obviously more to being a successful fighter than just pure athletic ability.

To be fair, I am not sure how good of a pure athlete Cormier is either, but he isn't the one that brought the issue up.

Jackson should add some jumping exercises to his mma routine, its embarrasing that JBJ cant dunk, even guys 5'9" - 5'10" can dunk

Jones is too white in a bad way.

Where in that exchange did you see racial characteristics?

I am sincerely curious

It can't be not being able to dunk can it? Someone that can dunk is more black? I have to be assuming wrong here. But that is why I am asking.

Jones can't jump be he's athletic as far as fighting goes. But clearly DC is athletic he is an Olympic athlete for god's sake :icon_lol:

Where in that exchange did you see racial characteristics?

I am sincerely curious

It can't be not being able to dunk can it? Someone that can dunk is more black? I have to be assuming wrong here. But that is why I am asking.

I don't know if you are playing stupid or not...But I will give you the benefit of the doubt. There is a longstanding stereotype that white men/athletes are not as explosive as black athletes and thus white men can't jump as well/high as black men. Hence the name of the movie "White Men Can't Jump."

Jackson should add some jumping exercises to his mma routine, its embarrasing that JBJ cant dunk, even guys 5'9" - 5'10" can dunk

Embarrassing to who?

First you spelled "embarrassing" wrong which is kind of funny given the context. And second the man is the LHW champ of the UFC. What have you done lately? Some of you are batshit delusional. He should be embarrassed he can't dunk?! WTF

THIS is why I like to mess with Jones haters. This exact kind of insanity that seems to be in a never-ending supply. The guy is rich, famous, UFC champ, good family, one of the baddest men on the planet....but he should be embarrassed (to some Internet posters no less) that he can't dunk a basketball. He could probably rape you while dribbling a basketball. If he was into that sort of thing!

If I were a 6'4" professional athlete with a huge reach, I would be embarrassed that I couldn't dunk...

I don't think most of Sherdog understands what a "great athlete" is supposed to mean. You are right, Jones looks incredibly awkward and uncoordinated with the basketball and when jumping. What may be the best way to describe a great athlete is someone who can excel at almost any sport naturally; they will never look awkward when trying to dunk a basketball, for instance. Take Bo Jackson, who many people consider the greatest pure athlete of our time. He excelled at football and then became a very good professional baseball player later in life, as well. A great athlete can become better at a given sport with much less practice than a less athletic player.

The standards that many people use to determine a great athlete are not by coincidence many of the same metrics used at the NFL combine. Think of speed, strength, and explosiveness (not in the way that Sherdog uses that term). Both speed and explosiveness are measured in the 40 yard dash. Vertical jump and broad jump test explosiveness. 3 cone drill and shuttle measure speed and ability to change direction on the feet. In addition to tangibles like these measures, there is the intangible element that I described earlier about being able to transition to any sport and excel and not look awkward.

Jones has never shown to be a great athlete. His vertical is obviously horrendous (shown by the dunk video), and he has shown to be awkward and not adept at any other sports. His brothers even make fun of his lack of athletic ability. That being said, there is no denying that he has become successful at winning fights under the current rules. There is obviously more to being a successful fighter than just pure athletic ability.

To be fair, I am not sure how good of a pure athlete Cormier is either, but he isn't the one that brought the issue up.
A poster named Boozejockey on the internet doesn't think the UFC LHW champ of MMA or a former Olympian wrestler are good athletes. While ironically posting that other posters don't know what makes someone a good athlete. I hope this new year is less stupid than this one. I am being trolled right? This is a gag thread and I am the only one that doesn't get it?

DC is getting annoying trying to get into Jones head

Whats more astonishing is that Jones continues to answer him

I fear he has succeeded to some degree

If I were a 6'4" professional athlete with a huge reach, I would be embarrassed that I couldn't dunk...

How insecure and stupid would someone have to be for that to happen under those circumstances? Who exactly shoud the rich and famous MMA champ feel embarrassed in front of that he can't dunk? Please elaborate. Some jobless poster on the internet? What group specifically makes up this important demo you are describing?

Where's the prove that DC could dunk?

Jones is right (for once).

I don't know if you are playing stupid or not...But I will give you the benefit of the doubt. There is a longstanding stereotype that white men/athletes are not as explosive as black athletes and thus white men can't jump as well/high as black men. Hence the name of the movie "White Men Can't Jump."

It's a movie jackass

And I am sure there are people so ignorant as to place such importance on such a frivolous stereotype that they would seriously consider a successful black man and fighter "less black" just because he can't dunk a basketball. But I was just trying to clarify if he is one of them. I know you are stupid so it is why you don't get that I was trying to give that poster the benefit of the doubt and why I am explaining that to you now. On the off-chance he wasn't, I wanted to make sure I didn't leap to that conclusion as it could have been something else in the exchange since he didn't specifically give a reason or mention dunking. You get that he (the poster I was responding to) didn't mention dunking right?

I think that was part of the troll. I've seen footage of Jones jumping super high. I know how tall and long he is. He's always tried to sell himself as sucking at all other sports besides wrestling and MMA. But even if you suck at basketball, you can still easily dunk when you're his size and have his level of athleticism.

Why would Jones lie about this though?

DC can't dunk a basketball either. He probably shouldn't have used that to compare athleticness.

Back