Daniel Cormier: “Jones Won’t Win The HW Title”

champion-daniel-cormier.gif

Because Jon is recognizing he might be at a disadvantage at HW against DC, he didn't say he wouldn't accept the fight if it was offered. I don't think DC would defend his belt against Jon especially after the roids so this really is all hypothetical. You're taking too much from that Jon quote.

I wouldnt be supprised if theres truth to that, I'm not sure I see the fight between them at HW suddenly being night and day different BUT I can see Jones thinking i'v already got 1 or 2 wins over him at LHW, do I risk it in a different environment that might favour Cormier a bit more?

That Jones suddenly dropped the LHW title just two days after Stipe/Cormier 3 to move to HW really does make it seem like he saw something he liked in that fight but my guess is it was perhaps as much or more that Stipe didnt look that great in winning as that Cormier lost the title.

I wouldnt be supprised if theres truth to that, I'm not sure I see the fight between them at HW suddenly being night and day different BUT I can see Jones thinking i'v already got 1 or 2 wins over him at LHW, do I risk it in a different environment that might favour Cormier a bit more?

That Jones suddenly dropped the LHW title just two days after Stipe/Cormier 3 to move to HW really does make it seem like he saw something he liked in that fight but my guess is it was perhaps as much or more that Stipe didnt look that great in winning as that Cormier lost the title.
"I wont do it" - Jon Jones on fighting DC @ HW

Hahaha, respect for actually going through with it. Don't think I didn't notice those snacks in the background though. Stay disciplined brother!

TBF I'm eating like shit this week because I'm stuck at home with Covid (second time) and so can't go to the gym and feel a little off.

While I do think Jones is an all time better MMA fighter than DC, I do kind of think Cormier is right.

DCs style was better suited to Heavyweight because grappling was so lacking. It still is to this day.
I don't think Jones really has the same offensive wrestling potency anymore and also believe Jon relies a lot on his massive frame and athleticism to win fights. Historically he has had tougher bouts with opponents closer to his size. He also has a deficit in his boxing skills, but normally he has the ability to keep his fights at a comfortable range due to his size (and skill of course).

I could see Jones looking pretty mediocre at Heavyweight and losing to guys like Ciryl, Ngannou, and Stipe.

Then again he could return and win the belt too I guess lol

lmaoi!! he didnt go up to HW to even try win the HW title from DC!

lmao!!

If Jones wasnt scared of DC,then he is a fuckin IDIOT

lmao!!

You mean he didn't move up while suspended? Shocking.

Furthermore, when he did return the UFC offered him the chance to fight for the LHW title, that DC was dropping because he was too scared to defend again against Jones, and against Gustafsson. His actual rival. Of course he wanted that win more than a 3rd over DC as that was the only real challenge he'd ever had and was the one people still questioned. And he emphatically answered that question.

Meanwhile Cormier had a hand injury and the UFC was trying to book Cormier/Brock so that wasn't even a choice to begin with. When Brock instead re-signed with the WWE Jon was already booked to defend against Santos so he wasn't even an option to begin with, so Stipe got his rematch. And KO'd him. All of this within 5 months of Jones' return.

There was never a time for Jon to have fought DC for the HW title.

Why would jones ever post that picture doing the curls? He looks haggard and is using 10lb plates. poor flex attempt.

Forget Frank and Gane, I think Jon will have problems w Stipe.

Jones will get KTFO by Gane or Ngannou.
Ngannou, maybe. Gane, not so much. Jones has never been dropped and Gane has very little KO power, so that's unlikely to happen.

He’s right. When was the last time Jones beat an elite fighter without steroids ?

lmaoi!! he didnt go up to HW to even try win the HW title from DC!

lmao!!

If Jones wasnt scared of DC,then he is a fuckin IDIOT

lmao!!
I think you are on to something, he was scared of the guy he beat twice brutally only staying in his weight class to become the longest reigning champion in UFC history

He must have been "scared" like your emotions tell you.

Again, you sound very intelligent

Jones never thought he could beat DC. It is why he roided up. His failed drug tests were around the times he was fighting DC.

Back