News Dana White reveals ESPN numbers have been poor

I think it's exactly the opposite.

Any millenial can find a perfect HD version of this and any other PPV card if they want.

I don't watch wrasslin, but they apparently did it right with a $9 version of fight pass that also includes all PPVs.
Only way we settle this argument is wait 5 years and come back to it. Time will tell.

Only way we settle this argument is wait 5 years and come back to it. Time will tell.
Tell me how fight pass is doing vs...whatever the WWE version is

I bet one (fight pass) is struggling while the other is thriving.

Wait all you want, today's profit is important.

Dana telling numbers is like Homer Simpson giving nutrition advice.

Only if you are American

bork1}
bork1}
bork1}
Well. You have to pay for ESPN+ before you can even buy the PPV.... Plus to watch the full even you also need the ESPN channel.

Um, you guys ever heard of the internet? You can watch the ppv's online without cable or having ESPN.

I am in the US and only have ESPN+ and don't have cable, regular ESPN and I watch the PPV's on ESPN+.

Seems like it's more complicated there than in Canada.

We can order PPV through Fight Pass OR without it...we can still order PPV through our regular TV, don't need TSN (which is like our ESPN station equivalent) or any subscription to do so.

That's so weird if you *have* to have an App, ESPN+ subscription and a Smart TV to order a PPV lol.

Yup! That’s how it is over here. Gotta watch it on your phone, computer, or tv—but only if it’s a smart tv smart enough lol. But you can imagine there’s a population of Americans who dont feel the need to buy a new tv every year or two.

it’s almost like ESPN/UFC doesn’t know how sales work. You know, the principle of “locking it in.”The easier and more convenient you can make it for someone to buy something, the more likely you can get a sale. A lot of times, time is of the essence. A persons need to buy something can change into “ah fuck it, don’t need it,” fairly quickly.

Well. You have to pay for ESPN+ before you can even buy the PPV.... Plus to watch the full even you also need the ESPN channel.
You can buy it through the PlayStation network as well and just stream the prelims, no reason to order ESPN channel really, at least in Canada anyway.

Speaking about UFC 246 PPV projections, White said, "This thing is going to do numbers that we did when we were on traditional pay-per-view." Thereby implying ESPN+ PPVs have done dog shite numbers.

He’s saying the opposite. That the ESPN additional paywall won’t cause a decline in buys.

to the guy [CrimsonFan] saying ppl don't like change and somehow UFC is seeing the future here, what are you on mate?
90% are already streaming this shit for free and have been for years. How is making the minority of decent hard working blue collar UFC fans (thanks Cowboy) sign up for some crap they don't want just so they have the opportunity on whether or not to buy a ppv the future? THAT is outdated. That's squeezing the loyal ppvers who are left and I expect it will push them to do what the rest of the world does - Watch it for free.

But UFC did good to sell ESPN on it. UFC is paid for all upcoming ppvs regardless of how they perform. Yeah when there's a mcGregor card the UFC is making less but they ran the numbers, guess this works out best for them this way.

After extensive experience with the UFC, Fox decided to rather throw money at WWE.

That says it all

Dana also lied about tickets being sold out within 24 hours when in reality they were plenty still up two weeks later. Desperately trying to shill for Gondor lol.

How many people who watch MMA have traditional television. Most people stream and I for one am not paying for ESPN plus just for the opportunity to pay for a PPV.

That'd be like ordering the NHL channel only to have to pay to watch the playoffs.

Besides I can always watch the fights the next day online for free.

conor-mcgregor-ufc-246-official-weigh-ins.jpg

You're looking at the man who will make WW great again.. Colby was fake news.

2) There is a shitload of free cards now so that people can get their UFC fix even if they don't order ppvs.

There are no free cards.

People pay for Fight pass
People pay for ESPN+
People pay for cable to watch ESPN
People pay for ESPN+ so you can pay for PPV

People dont like change.

Streaming is the future and the ufc jumped on board. Yea it sucks that you have to pay for epsn+ . But for people saying this is a dumb mistake by the ufc, no.. they're understanding the change and adapting. It's actually very smart.

UFC trying to have their cake and eat it too tho. Streaming services and subscriptions are the future, but to slap a hefty PPV price on top of that?

That’s because the whole setup of ESPN+ is stupid.

I think a lot of the cards are so bad now, fewer and fewer people care about anything but the big fights. The way it's going, it will end up like boxing. I'll watch the main card for 246 but really the only compelling fight to me is the main event. I couldn't care less about the rest of these fights. That's not to say they might not be good fights. Just that I don't care about any of the fighters.

Back