News Dana White reveals ESPN numbers have been poor

Facts, the fight will be available the next morning on ESPN so for 5 bucks I’ll take it. I don’t care if I know the result already, better than paying for this terrible card. I’ll wait twelve hours lol

Care to lay a bet on that? Of course it won't be available on ESPN the next morning but that night it will available on Youtube until it gets taken down.

Dont you need ESPN+ to watch the prelims anyway? Or dont most TV "sports packages" already include ESPN+?

Here in Canada prelims and Fight Nights come on TSN but basic TV packages dont include TSN, you pay about $10/month extra for it.

Now in canada we can still order PPV without having a TSN subscription but realistically any fan who orders PPV would already be paying for TSN.

Is this similar to ESPN+ in the US?

Dont you need ESPN+ to watch the prelims anyway? Or dont most TV "sports packages" already include ESPN+?

Here in Canada prelims and Fight Nights come on TSN but basic TV packages dont include TSN, you pay about $10/month extra for it.

Now in canada we can still order PPV without having a TSN subscription but realistically any fan who orders PPV would already be paying for TSN.

Is this similar to ESPN+ in the US?
No one knows. You may need Fight Pass....you may need a cable provider with ESPN...you may need ESPN+......Its ridiculous

My moms house has three TVs, no older than 6 years, and you can’t watch UFC ESPN+ events with them because you can’t get the app on it. Go figure.

Is it just USA that needs to go through ESPN+? Sounds like a pain since the app apparently sucks. Was using fight pass and casting to tv until Whittaker vs Adesanya charged me and didn’t work so now use PS4 plus and get discounts.

So Dana is saying some casual fans are still interested in Conor? No f'ing way!

My moms house has three TVs, no older than 6 years, and you can’t watch UFC ESPN+ events with them because you can’t get the app on it. Go figure.

Seems like it's more complicated there than in Canada.

We can order PPV through Fight Pass OR without it...we can still order PPV through our regular TV, don't need TSN (which is like our ESPN station equivalent) or any subscription to do so.

That's so weird if you *have* to have an App, ESPN+ subscription and a Smart TV to order a PPV lol.

1) UFC PPV model is too expensive and outdated
2) There is a shitload of free cards now so that people can get their UFC fix even if they don't order ppvs. Plus the line between free cards and ppvs is getting more and more blurred. I watched many Fight Nights that were better than their 70$ ppvs. Plus the internet is full of streams
3) No real superstar draws aside from Conor. One guy i think could become a good draw is Ngannou if he ever become champ and keep brutally KOing people left and right. People love to watch serial KO artists that have an aura of invincibility around them (And i know Francis is far from invincible but hes the closest thing they have right now(
4) The current era of MMA just feel flat after watching the likes of Fedor , GSP , Anderson , Hendo etc and the likes not too long ago.

Now i'm mostly talking about PPVs. Some are good but in general they feel a bit lackluster

Seems like it's more complicated there than in Canada.

We can order PPV through Fight Pass OR without it...we can still order PPV through our regular TV, don't need TSN (which is like our ESPN station equivalent) or any subscription to do so.

That's so weird if you *have* to have an App, ESPN+ subscription and a Smart TV to order a PPV lol.
I agree.

They should have a free version of ESPN+ that people can buy PPVs with a free account, but they just can't access other ESPN+ content. And buying the UFC PPV should unlock the full prelims on ESPN+. And they should also get a download-able version of the PPV, so they can watch it later if they like.

The value just isn't there for $70 anymore, when you factor in having to have ESPN+ monthly subscription.

It's probably not a huge deal since the UFC are doing the PPVs through espn which they have deal with. They are probably getting a bigger percentage than they did when they did it through direct TV and the other cable providers.

I understand where a lot of you guys are coming from... but the PPV Model is practically dead save for a few MegaStars Like Conor & Brock! Even for a Bo$$ like Jones... PPV still rake it in... but it's not what it used to! The $$$ on the table is less now... but subscription based model is the future... and I don't even like it... but I bloody hell acknowledge it! If you don't own your platform... and you ain't the NFL, NBA MLB... then uncertainty buys + ever increasing licensing / Broadcasting fees WILL KILL YOUR BUSINESS!

It's opting on choosing the less destructive evil for your business. That's the reason why Disney, Apple & Amazon have opted to start their own service instead of relying on Netflix! Netflix doesn't own s**t compared to the Giants of TV... so if they want to make more... they have to charge more! And shelling out more $$$ when competition is fierce is risky! Executives are choosing less guaranteed $$$ in order for their head to not roll when that Financial Report comes out!

I've never ordered an ESPN+ UFC PPV because I refuse to pay big $$$ to watch on something other than HDTV.

Even Disney+, VUDU, Spectrum App lets you watch on HDTV via streaming.

I'm not gonna pay absurd money and force myself to be awake at like 4 in the morning for an hour of entertainment just so Dana can buy one of the ring girls a new gucci purse.

I will just look up the result on Wiki and see a gif on sherdog and be satisfied I saved time, money and got some sleep.

Last edited:
I've never ordered an ESPN+ UFC PPV because I refuse to pay big $$$ to watch on something other than HDTV.

So what can you watch ESPN+ on? If it's just on a phone, it must be awfully hard for a group to view together.

Back