Dana White: "Gilbert Melendez will probably get Lightweight title shot right away."

Nick Diaz go the Title Shot right away (but then the silly press conference non-sense happened)

Alistair Overeem was offered the Title shot right away (but he didn't want to wait for Cigano, took the fight with Lesnar), Dana is on record.

Anthony Pettis got the Title shot right away (til Gray Maynard's sour-puss changed sentiment)

And Gilbert Melendez would be the most deserving of the bunch.

Probably a good thing. If Gil gets a shot right away it saves either he or another potential contender from a setback, and gets a top contender dealt with right away. Gil has been a champ of another org for a while, this is justified.

sure gil has looked great against lesser competition but I think he needs to fight one top ten opponent before his shot at Henderson. the winner of pettis/cerrone vs gil for the shot sounds like a great fight to me and the winner would certainly be deserving of the title shot

Anyone who thinks Melendez has a chance against Henderson is on crack. Mediocre striking, mediocre wrestling. Bendo will put him on his ass whenever he wants and soundly outstrike him, too.

Anyone who thinks Melendez has a chance against Henderson is on crack. Mediocre striking, mediocre wrestling. Bendo will put him on his ass whenever he wants and soundly outstrike him, too.

Bendo just kicked Diaz' ass too, and that doesn't mean Nate isn't a quality fighter. He is and he beat good comp to get his shot, just came up well short on the day. Gil is in the same boat, just with slightly lower quality of recent wins. He'll get his ass kicked, but he's the guy who's turn it is, while Pettis/Cerrone and the others duke it out to determine who goes after Gil.

Strewth, if Anderson only fought guys with a chance to beat him he'd have a very short highlight vid and we'd all be much the poorer for it.

never ever watched a melendez fight before and i guess u watched only the diaz fight jk get the fuck out dog

Pettis is like

1277490087_by_Katemi_500.jpg

screwed again :). Wait wasn't Melendez injured? LOL

When pettis had his title shot btw?

Bendo just kicked Diaz' ass too, and that doesn't mean Nate isn't a quality fighter. He is and he beat good comp to get his shot, just came up well short on the day. Gil is in the same boat, just with slightly lower quality of recent wins. He'll get his ass kicked, but he's the guy who's turn it is, while Pettis/Cerrone and the others duke it out to determine who goes after Gil.

Strewth, if Anderson only fought guys with a chance to beat him he'd have a very short highlight vid and we'd all be much the poorer for it.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Melendez beats most or any of the top lightweights in the UFC. If he does, then I'll eat crow.

It's the best fight to make. It could be part of a stacked ppv, or a FOX card headliner. They could sell it the other Fox fans as revenge for the beating they watched Nate take.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Melendez beats most or any of the top lightweights in the UFC. If he does, then I'll eat crow.

So whats your reasoning for thinking Melendez cant beat any of the top UFC lightweights. I think hes a difficult fight for anyone at 155. He has no glaring weaknesses and his cardio has always been great. Im not saying hell be the champ but I cant see why you would count him out that easy.

Well since this forum is all about healthy debate, who does Gil get beaten by and why amongst the UFC LW top ten?

He won't fight Diaz, and I don't count Frankie just now as he is fighting at FW. Aside from Bendo and Maynard I think Gil would be competitive with the rest of the bunch.

Got no issues with this at all.

Bendo v Gilbert will be an absolute war. Hard to go past Bendo for this one tho.

Would love to see this. (Wouldn't be sad to see Gilbert get a intro fight either possibly against Guida, cerrone or G Manyard. )

Either way glad to finally see him in the Ufc facing off against the best.

Or maybe they're just an unbiased partial observer of MMA?

2 years ago nobody took Bendo or the WEC LW's seriously simply because they didn't fight in the UFC, but they came over and did very well.

Anyone who has been watching MMA for more than a couple years knows that it's silly to judge talent based on organizational bias. If you're training at the top-level you're a top-level fighter regardless of organization.

Gilbert Melendez is a top-level MMA fighter.

Pettis is like

1277490087_by_Katemi_500.jpg

screwed again :). Wait wasn't Melendez injured? LOL

When pettis had his title shot btw?

Pettis only has himself to blame..... Guida the gatekeeper implemented his plan perfectly and Pettis let himself get ambushed by a fighter he should have beat easily.

I think Dana's faith in him was shattered that night.

Or maybe they're just an unbiased partial observer of MMA?

2 years ago nobody took Bendo or the WEC LW's seriously simply because they didn't fight in the UFC, but they came over and did very well.

Anyone who has been watching MMA for more than a couple years knows that it's silly to judge talent based on organizational bias. If you're training at the top-level you're a top-level fighter regardless of organization.

Gilbert Melendez is a top-level MMA fighter.

This for sure. Gilbert is a very good fighter who should be taken seriously.

Back