Dana White: "Gilbert Melendez will probably get Lightweight title shot right away."

I hope it happens, I think Bendo wins but I also think Melendez has more to offer than Diaz did.

gilbert is alot more deserving of an immediate title shot than anyone else outside of the UFC and nick diaz in the UFC.

i'm sure shinya was top ten when gil beat him, guida too probably.

You sure about those guys? Aoki top 10 at the time? noway.

There can't possibly be anyone else. could there? I think we need far more research on this.

You sure about those guys? Aoki top 10 at the time? noway.

There can't possibly be anyone else. could there? I think we need far more research on this.

it was a couple of years ago when most people were still pretty high on aoki, so he was probably somewhere in the bottom half of the top ten. guida was the sf champ, so i imagine he'd have a top ten ranking as well. that's just a guess though.

edit: haven't found any ranking for 2006, but right after melendez beat aoki, shinya was ranked #4 according to sherdog and he was #2 before the fight.

Last edited:
Good, I think all the champs from orgs they absorbed should have had an immediate shot. Look at all these fights we waited for Condit GSP, Shields Silva, we should have had Hendo Jones and Pettis Edgar just to name a few, stop wasting time feed them to the currents and let it be done so we can see the fights we want instead of waiting.

Bendo will absolutely tool him where ever the fight goes

it was a couple of years ago when most people were still pretty high on aoki, so he was probably somewhere in the bottom half of the top ten. guida was the sf champ, so i imagine he'd have a top ten ranking as well. that's just a guess though.

I can't tell if you're actually not picking up on his sarcasm or if you're flipping the script and coming back even more sarcastic.

No possible way....more research needed.

I am not a fan of instant title shots for people org jumping but there is no other clear cut #1 contender so why not.

No but fighting on a Pride 2006 New Years Eve card certainly does.

I will give you that. That is one of Gil's fights that I am totally willing to give credit for. Albeit an undersized opponent who later dropped to 145.

Anyone who has a problem with that is an idiot

Pettis deserves it more with a win over Cerrone. If Cerrone wins Gilbert should get a title shot right away.

Melendez vs Henderson in March fights the winner of Petis/Cerroni in July

Say what you want but Melendez has been hovering around the top of the division for years.... If anyone was deserving at shot at Bendo its him..

Back