Dana White: "Gilbert Melendez will probably get Lightweight title shot right away."

Good, that'll shut up Melendez for good. He was relevant two years ago, but not anymore.

The majority of MMA outlets had Edgar winning in the live scoring. That on its own would suggest that the fight wasn't a blowout. Justify rounds 1, 3 or 5 conclusively for Bendo and I might agree that there was it was "defenitely not close enough".
You seem like a nice person and I enjoy your posts. However, you are defending the indefensible and denying the undeniable. Edgar clearly lost that fight.
Many of the media outlets that scored for Edgar initially have reneged. The Fertita's and Dana also reversed their position from their initial gut reaction.
Each time I have watched Ben/Edgar the disparity becomes more obvious.
And no, the end does not justify the means. It's a Fight. The dynamics change before and during each fight. You are trying to compare the results of their two fights for a justification of some sort. That just isn't how it works.

It'll be the Strikeforce LW Champion vs. UFC LW Champion. Perfect super fight. Anyone who has a problem with that is a moron.

So all fighters in the UFC's LW division fight exactly the same and happen to be the exact type of fighter that would give Melendez problems in spite of him being one of the most well-rounded fighters out of any 155'er in and organization?

That's exactly why you're biased. You fail to see that styles make fights and just because someone is in the UFC doesn't mean they fight the exact same way, so to say Melendez would have problems with every UFC fighter shows, to you, just being in the UFC means they are better than someone who isn't.

I could understand someone saying when Pettis came over, he may have trouble with wrestlers, because that isn't his strong suit, I could see someone saying Nick Diaz would have problems with fighters who use movement because that isn't his strong suit.

But saying Melendez, who is one of the most well-rounded fighters in the world is going to lose to every UFC fighter just because they're in the UFC is silly and shows your bias.

Let me put it another way so you can see my point of view. Who would you pick to win in Melendez vs.:

Henderson
Cerrone
Pettis
Maynard

Because I'd pick against Melendez in any of those as of right now. Who would you pick in those fights?

No but fighting on a Pride 2006 New Years Eve card certainly does.
The Stage is immaterial. "Who" you fight is.
Gil has zero wins against any of the current Contenders. In fact, not one win in the current top ten.
Gil will move to FW following his first UFC fight. Then he can rematch Clay Guida. Gotta go with Guida over Gil.

Niceee, should be a good fight, tough one to call though, I think Gil impresses more than people think the kids good, but Bendo showed me last fight that he follows gameplans that work very well add that to his skill set and he is very tough to beat

Pettis deserves it more with a win over Cerrone. If Cerrone wins Gilbert should get a title shot right away.
That's reasonable; and I agree.
However, Gil has certainly done nothing in the UFC to "earn" a Title Shot.
Dana is indebted to the Gracie Camp, they delivered Rhonda, the UFC's Savior.

Gilbert Melendez lost the rubber match to Josh Thomson. Number 1 LW in the world my ass. Bendo will mop the floor with him.
I agree. That air needs to be cleared first.
Melendez, a UFC Title Shot; A UFC Title Shot? C'mon Dana, lol.

good now we can see how stupid, unreliable, and inaccurate ranking systems are. dude has fought 3 times in the last 2 years and it was thompson, masvidal, and kawajiri. that gets you #2 LW in the world? what the fucking fuck.

bendo is gonna whoop dat ass so hard.

Let me put it another way so you can see my point of view. Who would you pick to win in Melendez vs.:

Henderson
Cerrone
Pettis
Maynard

Because I'd pick against Melendez in any of those as of right now. Who would you pick in those fights?

I'd pick Melendez to win against Pettis and Maynard because he could take down Pettis and grind if he needs to and he could grapple with Maynard and has better boxing than him. Cerrone would be even because they are both very well-rounded. Cerrone is more of a finesse fighter while Melendez is more of brutish type fighter, both are good wherever a fight goes. I think Henderson beats Melendez because he's just more dynamic, but I don't think it would be a mauling.

I'd pick Melendez to win against Pettis and Maynard because he could take down Pettis and grind if he needs to and he could grapple with Maynard and has better boxing than him. Cerrone would be even because they are both very well-rounded. Cerrone is more of a finesse fighter while Melendez is more of brutish type fighter, both are good wherever a fight goes. I think Henderson beats Melendez because he's just more dynamic, but I don't think it would be a mauling.

That's just the thing. I think Maynard has better boxing and wrestling, and Pettis has better striking. Melendez has better wrestling than Pettis most likely, but I don't think he'll hold Pettis down for the whole fight. I agree on Henderson, but I think it would be clear-cut for Henderson. I also think that Cerrone has better striking that Melendez. Pretty much same situation as Pettis. That's why I don't think Melendez will do well against the UFC's top lightweights.

I don't think that Gil is the clear cut #1 contender. I just don't think that the comp in SF if high enough.

that being said, Bendo - Gil is a fight that I would want to see.

So fine by me

I don't see Gil winning this fight at all. So I am not for it, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't watch it.

Maynard landing one power punch, and he's landed them on far better fighters than Gil, would see Melendez impaired.
And LOL at Melendez "grappling" compared to Maynards.
Thank the MMA Gods that these"rankings" will be exposed soon.

Will someone please make a fucking Maynard thread so willin can fuck off and troll there instead of derailing every other thread about a LW that gets made?

Maynard landing one power punch, and he's landed them on far better fighters than Gil, would see Melendez impaired.
And LOL at Melendez "grappling" compared to Maynards.
Thank the MMA Gods that these"rankings" will be exposed soon.

Maynard's M.O. is using his stellar wrestling to control and GnP you. I can't even recall him getting a knockout.

You do realize that thinking he didn't deserve a rematch (when the fight was clearly close enough to go either way) doesn't invalidate what happened after, right? Melendez certainly deserves his spot in the top 5 at LW. Melendez vs Bendo will be a great fight.

What about the invalidation of Frankie fans that Bendo beat Frankie in a pretty much one sided fight? Not a domination like Bendo vs Diaz ,but still a clear victory.

Back