Dana White: "Gilbert Melendez will probably get Lightweight title shot right away."

Gilbert Melendez lost the rubber match to Josh Thomson. Number 1 LW in the world my ass. Bendo will mop the floor with him.

Stoked on this, Whoever has the 155 title has their work cut out for them.

He certainly should have a fight before any title shot, but I suppose it's reward for having to stay at the sinking ship Strikeforce, whilst all the other champions jumped ship to the UFC. Still, I hope it's not in place of Cerrone/Pettis, that'd just be fucked up.

Or maybe they're just an unbiased partial observer of MMA?

2 years ago nobody took Bendo or the WEC LW's seriously simply because they didn't fight in the UFC, but they came over and did very well.

Anyone who has been watching MMA for more than a couple years knows that it's silly to judge talent based on organizational bias. If you're training at the top-level you're a top-level fighter regardless of organization.

Gilbert Melendez is a top-level MMA fighter.

I'm not saying this with bias to the fighters outside of the UFC. I was pretty stoked to see the WEC lightweights come to the UFC because I thought Bendo would do good, and Cerrone and Pettis getting into the mix was unsurprising.

When I said that Gil was mediocre all-around, I meant relative to the top lightweights in the UFC. I think Henderson, Maynard, Cerrone, and Pettis are far better strikers. Cerrone and Pettis are also good enough off of their backs to get up from or prevent takedowns from Gil.

The only lightweight at the top that I see Melendez beating is maybe Jim Miller.

As he should, and Rockhold should as well. Champion vs Champion must happen. Melendez via UD.

Gil by tko.

Bendo won't be able to man handle Gil like he did Nate. Bendo has better technical striking but Gil has a better chin. It would be a war but bendo gets stopped first.

I'm not saying this with bias to the fighters outside of the UFC.

Yes you are. Otherwise, you wouldn't come with comments like...

Anyone who thinks Melendez has a chance against Henderson is on crack. Mediocre striking, mediocre wrestling. Bendo will put him on his ass whenever he wants and soundly outstrike him, too.

Because looking at it objectively you would know that Melendez is very well-rounded and his wrestling and striking are easily above-average. Is he as good a striker as Pettis? NO, but most MMA fighters aren't. Is he a better wrestler than Bendo? NO, but most MMA fighters aren't. But that doesn't mean that he's going to get knocked out by Pettis or decisioned and controlled by Bendo. Why? Because he's well-rounded and experienced and if you're claiming anyone who says Melendez would have a chance against top UFC fighters is on crack, then you might want to take a look in the mirror, because only a biased MMA fan would fail to see that Gilbert Melendez is a top fighter that matches up well with any fighter regardless of organization.

No problem with that. The Pettis-Cerrone winner should get next though. Where does Gray fit in all of this? Could be a least a year and a half before he gets a shot again.

Melendez will put the hurt on Bendo
If Nate couldn't do it, Melendez will. Doesn't matter how much Bendo will try and poke Melendez's eyes

Well I said it fight night that bendo will face gil next and I'm never wrong, except for most of the time

I'm glad Dana has come out and said that. I have n problem with it if it does happen. Unless it is an obviously lower ORG or some regional promotion I have no problem with instant unification bouts when one promotion merges with another.

Yes you are. Otherwise, you wouldn't come with comments like...

Because looking at it objectively you would know that Melendez is very well-rounded and his wrestling and striking are easily above-average. Is he as good a striker as Pettis? NO, but most MMA fighters aren't. Is he a better wrestler than Bendo? NO, but most MMA fighters aren't. But that doesn't mean that he's going to get knocked out by Pettis or decisioned and controlled by Bendo. Why? Because he's well-rounded and experienced and if you're claiming anyone who says Melendez would have a chance against top UFC fighters is on crack, then you might want to take a look in the mirror, because only a biased MMA fan would fail to see that Gilbert Melendez is a top fighter that matches up well with any fighter regardless of organization.

I don't know what to tell you, but I'm not discounting Melendez just because he's in a different organization. I just don't honestly think he's going to do well against the top fighters in the UFC's lightweight division (based on what I've seen from him).

I don't know what to tell you, but I'm not discounting Melendez just because he's in a different organization. I just don't honestly think he's going to do well against the top fighters in the UFC's lightweight division (based on what I've seen from him).

So all fighters in the UFC's LW division fight exactly the same and happen to be the exact type of fighter that would give Melendez problems in spite of him being one of the most well-rounded fighters out of any 155'er in and organization?

That's exactly why you're biased. You fail to see that styles make fights and just because someone is in the UFC doesn't mean they fight the exact same way, so to say Melendez would have problems with every UFC fighter shows, to you, just being in the UFC means they are better than someone who isn't.

I could understand someone saying when Pettis came over, he may have trouble with wrestlers, because that isn't his strong suit, I could see someone saying Nick Diaz would have problems with fighters who use movement because that isn't his strong suit.

But saying Melendez, who is one of the most well-rounded fighters in the world is going to lose to every UFC fighter just because they're in the UFC is silly and shows your bias.

Back