Dana White: Conor McGregor ‘is my Ali and Tyson’

I don’t think it’s really a question that Conor will enter the pantheon of combat legends like Tyson and Ali by the end of his career. He’s already arguably had a more impressive career than Tyson and probably comparable star power. And he’s not even done yet. What happens if he KO’s Khabib? When he inevitably has a legendary scrap with GSP? etc.
Fuuuuuck no, if you really think that then you weren't around in the 80's and early 90's.
Aside from the career comment which really doesn't need to be dissected because you know it's bullshit but his "star power" isn't anywhere near either.
Conor is a pretty big fish these days, lots of people know the name, Tyson was a fucking phenomenon, his name was synonymous with brutality and the whole world stopped to watch him fight, boxing was huge back then.
Conor is big in our sport and had a big comedy boxing match, but the two do not compare.

I don’t think it’s really a question that Conor will enter the pantheon of combat legends like Tyson and Ali by the end of his career. He’s already arguably had a more impressive career than Tyson and probably comparable star power. And he’s not even done yet. What happens if he KO’s Khabib? When he inevitably has a legendary scrap with GSP? etc.

I'm not a big Tyson fan by any stretch... but Conor has a long way to go before it is at all "arguable" that he's had a more impressive career than Tyson... and the star power isn't even in the same universe.

People STILL build hypotheticals around Tyson starting something like "Would you rather get punched by Mike Tyson or _______?" or "Would you take a punch from Mike Tyson in exchange for ________?" And, even TO THIS DAY, no one has ever looked at the person asking that question and asked back "Who is Mike Tyson?"

I'd be shocked if Conor, or any MMA star, ever reaches that level.

How so? Ali and Tyson were actually willing to defend a title, on occasion.

This thread really shows peoples delusions and age. Conor doesn't come close to either one. He's not more popular, better... Jesus Christ.

20+ years from now, people will look back at Mcgregor with the same fondness that people do today for a Prime Ali, especially if he beats Khabib.

He has given us some great performances and soundbytes, despite how controversial he is.

Top level sport "celebrity" has a few tiers. It looks something like this:

Tier 1 (With the exception of a few locations where the sport is simply not on the radar, pretty much everyone in the entire world knows these names and understands what they are associated with):

Ali
Jordan
Ruth
Tyson
Pele
Hulk Hogan (I know, I know...)
Gretzky
(we might think of another one or two, but not many)

Tier 2 (With the exception of a few locations where the sport is simply not on the radar, the name rings a bell for most people in the world, but they might have a little trouble describing why):

DiMaggio
Mays
Aaron
Mayweather
Foreman
Frazier
Lemieux
Crosby
Johnson
Shaq
James
Rousey (sorry, but it's true)
McEnroe
Bolt
Lewis
Phelps
Rice
Montana
Brady
(and we could think of some others, I'm sure)

Tier 3 (Most people who know a little about the sport and/or know someone who follows the sport will somewhat know the name, and a lot of others will be able to place the name if you offer an explanatory sentence or two):

People like, but not limited to...
Sanders (B and D)
Marino
Favre
Bird
Bryant
Doc J
Mantle
Maris
Williams
Beckham
Ronaldo
Messi
Howe
Richard
Orr
GSP (my perception here may be off, since I'm Canadian)
Silva
Conor (sorry)

Conor is near the top of the Tier 3 category overall, is definitely the top MMA fighter in this category, and is certainly stepping on the boundary of Tier 2, but use his name just among the general public and there will be a number of people who don't know who you're talking about unless some context is provided.

200.gif

After Khabib smashes Conor

And Dana's his bitch.

Conor owns ufc. Conor bless.

Back