Crossfit guys are weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hunto/feeder likes my avatar too, but he's a leather fetishist.

I'm into discipline, but not bondage or leather/vinyl/latex.

Feeder and I really have a lot of strange things in common though.

Well, and ChaseT has a remarkable ability to wield pics like a laser. And when some twit called him a kiss-ass bootlicker, he whipped out that av faster'n Clint Eastwood or John Wayne ever did a pistol. He had Gotti crying[/I ]over a brutal series of FAIL pix.

Well, and ChaseT has a remarkable ability to wield pics like a laser. And when some twit called him a kiss-ass bootlicker, he whipped out that av faster'n Clint Eastwood or John Wayne ever did a pistol. He had Gotti crying[/I ]over a brutal series of FAIL pix.

What about James Arness? I've long believed that Marshall Diillon could whoop "The Duke" anyday. And probably Clint Eastwood too, unless he was playing Bill Munny, because that movie was just way too awesome for it's own good.

Someone posted a question to Rippetoe (on StrengthMill.net) asking him about Crossfit for Strong people(here's the posters stats bodyweight of 215: Squat - 455, Bench - 375, Deadlift - 515. All lifts are Raw/unequipped.)

Here's what Mark said:

I have a lot of experience with it, because that's what I did. First, you have to be ready to let go of your PRs, but it sounds like you're there. Accumulated injuries do tend to beat a guy down after years of training heavy all the time, and although we tend to judge our self-worth by our squat numbers, the lack of sleep because tylenol/advil/aspirin doesn't work anymore may soften your resolve. You'll know when you're ready. Some guys can successfully lift heavy into their 60s; they have better genetics than I do.

The good news is that you won't lose it all. I did straight CrossFit for a year and PRed my press, probably due to all the chins that had addressed an ignored area or two. You'll squat, deadlift, press, and bench enough to keep your lifts within shooting distance anyway. And you'll have fun with your training again, learning new stuff and meeting a bunch of good, enthusiastic people.

The bad news is that you'll be pretty sore lots of the time in a different way. Old powerlifter sore is joint sore, old CrossFitter sore is muscle belly sore in a rather extreme way that you'll just have to experience to believe. But if you can eat enough and rest enough to get recovered, you're physique will be quite a bit better than it's been in a while, assuming that means anything to you at all.

Give it a try for several months. You'll enjoy the experience. I have.

What about James Arness? I've long believed that Marshall Diillon could whoop "The Duke" anyday. And probably Clint Eastwood too, unless he was playing Bill Munny, because that movie was just way too awesome for it's own good.

I'm a Clint man, for the .44 in his Dirty Harry movies.

There's things that just appeal on a core level to me

Lg Cal weapons
Bass, as in subs
Torque, as in car engines

Someone posted a question to Rippetoe (on StrengthMill.net) asking him about Crossfit for Strong people(here's the posters stats bodyweight of 215: Squat - 455, Bench - 375, Deadlift - 515. All lifts are Raw/unequipped.)

Here's what Mark said:

I have a lot of experience with it, because that's what I did. First, you have to be ready to let go of your PRs, but it sounds like you're there. Accumulated injuries do tend to beat a guy down after years of training heavy all the time, and although we tend to judge our self-worth by our squat numbers, the lack of sleep because tylenol/advil/aspirin doesn't work anymore may soften your resolve. You'll know when you're ready. Some guys can successfully lift heavy into their 60s; they have better genetics than I do.

The good news is that you won't lose it all. I did straight CrossFit for a year and PRed my press, probably due to all the chins that had addressed an ignored area or two. You'll squat, deadlift, press, and bench enough to keep your lifts within shooting distance anyway. And you'll have fun with your training again, learning new stuff and meeting a bunch of good, enthusiastic people.

The bad news is that you'll be pretty sore lots of the time in a different way. Old powerlifter sore is joint sore, old CrossFitter sore is muscle belly sore in a rather extreme way that you'll just have to experience to believe. But if you can eat enough and rest enough to get recovered, you're physique will be quite a bit better than it's been in a while, assuming that means anything to you at all.

Give it a try for several months. You'll enjoy the experience. I have.

Do you expect him to bite the hand that feeds him?

I love Crossfit. I'm stronger than I was before I started, but I've also got better cardio and flexibility, too. I don't want to be a powerlifter.

Best of all, it's fun. It's not a boring 5x5 routine. And I am able to measure progress, since I keep a workout log and can look back at a WOD I did a couple years ago and compare to now.

Glassman is, however, a total prick. The "certification seminars" are a scam. And there are way too many koolaid drinkers who think he can do no wrong. But I'll take the parts I like (it's free!) and skip the rest, thanks.

it's also pretty cultish, pretty much everyone wears the same type of shoes (nike free), use the same jump rope (buddy lee) etc

Seems to be a lot of o-shoes in the videos I've seen. Adidas luvs teh crossfit.

I also had read an article a while back about the "dangers of crossfit". Essentially, multiple people throughout the nation while doing crossfit sustained severe injuries due to the balls to the wall nature of the programs that do not take into account the level of fitness of the client.

I know what you're talking about - there's been alleged cases of rhabdomyolysis due to crossfit. Plus the catchphrase 'no puke, no pain, no gain'.

WE'VE HAD THIS THREAD BEFORE!

For fuck's sake, pay attention people, this has happened so many times I get a feeling of deja vu that makes me honestly believe I'm back as a white belt and thus I'm powerless to stop this pointless boredom gripping the board and wasting everybodies time.

Just to help everyone out I'll sum up this thread (and every other thread on the subject in the last few years and for the next few as well).

• Someone posts a crossfit vid "see crossfit guys are super athletic/strong/clever/pulluperific/buff" (delete as appropriate)
  • Everybody flames first poster "U am fail", "crossfit suxzorz" etc.
  • Somebody trys to make a sensible point about how crossfit is an all-round training system to work on all levels
  • Somebody else points out that crossfit makes wild claims
  • Somebody refutes existence of these claims
  • More flaming
  • Not enough pictures of Marzia Prince
  • Repeat to fail

Crossfit makes a lot of wild and over the top claims that really pisses off some people who feel its marketing is misleading and the founders are douches. It is better than the average gym instructors cookie-cutter bicep machine routine, but does not address everything a lot of people feel it should and will not develop any single athletic ability to the same level as a more targeted program.

So - everyone who wants to do crossfit, go do crossfit, everyone who doesn't should stick around and lift as they want to. The whole point of the internet is that you can chat with the group of people you want to; be they furries, NASCAR fans, crossfitters, powerlifters or distance runners. Go hang around with people who want to discuss the same topics as you, crossfit is an over-discussed waste of our time so lets leave it there.

THREAD CLOSED DUE TO POINTLESSNESS

cat_furry.jpg

You look taller than normal in that pic Oib, does it have built in platform heels?

Yeah, it's a new fur suit... doesn't make my ass look big does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back