Crossfit guys are weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video is almost 60mb - if you've got a shit internet connection beware.

Rubbish. Mike Burgener has his lifters do crossfit style GPP in the off-season.

Well, I never heard that, and if he did say that he is an idiot. What one has to recognize however, is that crossfit is marketed to the general propulation. As such an differentiated view of things would be useless from a marketing perspective. Crossfit has two "enemies" from a marketing perspective if they want to attract members of the general public. Bodybuilding and the fat loss crowd (which is based on low intensity cardio-vascular conditioning). So they have to tell people that their training is better than both pumping iron and endless hours on the threadmill. In the end crossfit is the same as what Ross Enamait preachers - the difference is that he backs up his words and doesn't market to a big population and thus doesn't have to make inflated claims.

Whatever, I'm out of this discussion, we've had it a hundred times. Plus there are too many fat guys online currently, so I'm outgunned :icon_chee

I know a cat who trains directly under Burgener, dude.

Is it good that they do real lifts and not bench and curls? Yes.

Is the WOD/scattered programming crap better than a simple and consistant 5x5? Doubt it.

Do those X-fit chicks have awesome bodies? Fuck yeah they do!

It's obviously not the best pure strength routine out there. Its more like jack of all trades (strength, flexibility, cardio, etc), but master of none.

It's obviously not the best pure strength routine out there. Its more like jack of all trades (strength, flexibility, cardio, etc), but master of none.

Agreed

it's also pretty cultish, pretty much everyone wears the same type of shoes (nike free), use the same jump rope (buddy lee) etc

All this xfit shit is gettin out of hand...

bc.jpg

I don't know about Crossfit.

There is a facility a few blocks from my apartment. I went in there one day just to check it out. The guys that work there are complete douchebags (obviously this could be isolated), but in no way were they helpful at all, they were nothing but condescending. Their programs are insanely overpriced. 80 bucks per session for a minimum of 10 sessions? Are you joking me?

I see some of their routines as being decent for experienced lifters/athletes. However, their main base of clients are out of shape people (the people I saw in there that day were all in their 60's)...I personally don't think it's safe or logical to start people with no experience on olympic lifts. They also seem to promote the idea that puking or coming close to puking after a work out is good...I believe they even have shirts that say "I met pukey" for people to wear with pride.

I also had read an article a while back about the "dangers of crossfit". Essentially, multiple people throughout the nation while doing crossfit sustained severe injuries due to the balls to the wall nature of the programs that do not take into account the level of fitness of the client.

Now I know this board is very anti aesthetics, but see when crossfit guys meet new people, exchanging ideas and interests and the crossfit guy goes "I enjoy training with weights several times a week." I can only imagine they are always met with the response;

"Really!?"

I don't know about Crossfit.

There is a facility a few blocks from my apartment. I went in there one day just to check it out. The guys that work there are complete douchebags (obviously this could be isolated), but in no way were they helpful at all, they were nothing but condescending. Their programs are insanely overpriced. 80 bucks per session for a minimum of 10 sessions? Are you joking me?

I see some of their routines as being decent for experienced lifters/athletes. However, their main base of clients are out of shape people (the people I saw in there that day were all in their 60's)...I personally don't think it's safe or logical to start people with no experience on olympic lifts. They also seem to promote the idea that puking or coming close to puking after a work out is good...I believe they even have shirts that say "I met pukey" for people to wear with pride.

I also had read an article a while back about the "dangers of crossfit". Essentially, multiple people throughout the nation while doing crossfit sustained severe injuries due to the balls to the wall nature of the programs that do not take into account the level of fitness of the client.

Pretty much every "gym" in my area is really just a "fitness center." Powerlifters in my area train at 24 Hour Fitness or Bally Total Fitness, or they have a home gym. When the local CrossFit affiliate was first starting up, the owner/coach held a Tactical Strength Challenge event (max deadlift, pull-ups for max reps, and kettlebell snatches). I was interested in joining the gym because he had a nice setup and talked a pretty good game.

I competed in the TSC event alongside this CrossFit certified coach who was in his late twenties and had been a personal trainer for a few years. I deadlifted 135lbs more than him and did five more pull-ups (at the same bodyweight). When I talked to him about joining th egym, this same guy who I had embarrassed wanted to charge me a couple hundred dollars to "show me the ropes" before I could work out on my own at this gym. Then he wanted $150/month in gym dues.

Pretty much every "gym" in my area is really just a "fitness center." Powerlifters in my area train at 24 Hour Fitness or Bally Total Fitness, or they have a home gym. When the local CrossFit affiliate was first starting up, the owner/coach held a Tactical Strength Challenge event (max deadlift, pull-ups for max reps, and kettlebell snatches). I was interested in joining the gym because he had a nice setup and talked a pretty good game.

I competed in the TSC event alongside this CrossFit certified coach who was in his late twenties and had been a personal trainer for a few years. I deadlifted 135lbs more than him and did five more pull-ups (at the same bodyweight). When I talked to him about joining th egym, this same guy who I had embarrassed wanted to charge me a couple hundred dollars to "show me the ropes" before I could work out on my own at this gym. Then he wanted $150/month in gym dues.

Have I told you your avatar gives me a woody?

So what did you do?

chokinggame.jpg

So what did you do?

I stayed at my "fitness center" style gym where most of the people are 40-65 and I'm about the only person who uses the power rack. Part of the reason I was interested in joining was to meet women who were interested in athletics/lifting weights (like in the videos), but it wasn't worth it if I had to pay that douche $2,000 per year.

This "coach" also mentioned that he attended BUD/S when he was in the Navy. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to impress me, but I just wondered why he was telling me about his failure. I didn't ask how long he lasted before he rang the bell.

I stayed at my "fitness center" style gym where most of the people are 40-65 and I'm about the only person who uses the power rack. Part of the reason I was interested in joining was to meet women who were interested in athletics/lifting weights (like in the videos), but it wasn't worth it if I had to pay that douche $2,000 per year.

This "coach" also mentioned that he attended BUD/S when he was in the Navy. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to impress me, but I just wondered why he was telling me about his failure. I didn't ask how long he lasted before he rang the bell.

yep, he's the one at 4:00 lacking the pullup-power

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a47SFOgl7cY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a47SFOgl7cY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

When i was reading across posts and reading the 'powerlifters are stronger than crossfit' argument, it got me thinking;

Crossfit is striving for all round fitness, not just max strength. So of course powerlifters are going to be stronger at the 3 big lifts. But there is more to strength than the 3 big lifts!

You guys are generally only use the big 3 lifts as the measure for strength, what about other exercises that crossfitters are good at? Crossfiters can probably rep out more pull-ups and muscle-ups than you guys, so in one way they are stronger.

Comparing the results of crossfit workouts to a powerlifting workout is a bit stupid, because they both are designed for different results.

But I do agree the pricing is ridiculous. They have something like an 80% drop out rate in the first month

Reading comprehension...has u gots any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back