Cross-fit

I wonder if one can build primarily fast-twitch fibers using crossfit.

crossfit...for increasing muscular endurance

That's just it--Endurance. This is the strength and power forum.

You're looking for the conditioning forum.

That's why we don't like CF in the S&P forum. It's off-topic.

Not to sound like a gnub but what does GPP stand for?

There are other programs that can give you the same benefits of crossfit, but also increase your strength

Interesting, such as?

weightlifting and a good running program. a while back in the conditioning forum there was a cindy circuit challenge. a lot of people put up numbers comparable to crossfitters for that (>20) while doing their own respective MA and/or weight training and/or conditioning

I've done it on/off for a couple years. I learned a lot of great moves. Plus, it's really fun.

On the other hand, there's a strong argument that the best crossfitters are people who come to it with a well-established strength base. (In other words, strong people do well with crossfit; crossfit doesn't really do much to make you stronger.) Personally, I did get a lot stronger on crossfit, but I plateau'ed and have gone back to strict strength-training. But I'll probably alternate in a few weeks, because I love the crossfit-style met-con workouts.

That's just it--Endurance. This is the strength and power forum.

You're looking for the conditioning forum.

S&P gets off topic quite a bit.

If you are looking for muscle endurance without gaining much strength, Crossfit will work. If you still want to gain strength and have muscle endurance, I would just throw in a circuit about once a week and do strength training during the week.

I don't like it because it's a typical fitness industry money making scam backed by false advertising for people who are too fucking lazy to have goals and establish progression in their workouts.

Go to your local crossfit gym. If they have a USAW coach or somebody who knows what he is doing it might be worth it. Alternatively, try some of their workouts if you are interested in anaerobic conditioning. As people have mentioned, the WOD's won't do much for your strength. But some WODs are probably interesting additions to Ross's stuff or whatever.

If you are new to training, or come from an endurance background, you WILL gain strength on Crossfit. The WOD's include enough heavy lifting to accomplish that. But if you come from a strength background and reached advanced strength levels, you will probably lose strength on Crossfit because the heavy lifting is not done often enough.

Back