Could UFC make an example out of Jon Jones

Junior D S

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
If Jon Jones refuses to fight opponents that UFC want to set up, do you think that UFC could make an example out of him and fire him? He's not a huge draw I mean his highest ppv buy rate was when he faced Rashad years ago, and we all know Rashad is very marketable. He doesn't pull huge numbers, he's constantly complaining about who he's fight, pushing fights back, and attempting to pick his own fights. Is it possible UFC would make an example out of him and just plain out terminate his contract.

I mean Tito Ortiz was their biggest draw back in his first run in the UFC. He shared a lot of the same traits as Jones such as refusing to fight matches the UFC wanted to book. The only difference was he blatantly dissed Uncle Dana on multiple occasions and he was a much more popular star then Jon Jones. Going to show if you piss off the boss it doesn't matter how much money you're bringing in.. They'll fire you.

You can say all you want, and I'm not even a Jones hater. I wanted him to win the gold against Shogun. He promised to always stay humble and seemed like a good kid. I ate it up and thought Jones would be the best kind of champion. But money talks and changes people. These days it seems like Jones is the hardest fighter to deal with. His humbleness in my opinion has turned into selfishness. He's not a company man, he's indeed a Jon Jones man. What would your reaction be? Would you support this message sent to any champ or future champ, that you can't pick your own opponents

Plenty of $$$ to be had on Jon vs. Gus or Jon vs. DC....UFC don't fuck around when it comes to $$$.

They'll refuse his demands and force him to fight Gustaffson.

Jones has no leverage here, why would the UFC punish him if they can just make him do what they want?

It would be cutting their nose off to spite their face.

No.

They'll refuse his demands and force him to fight Gustaffson.

Jones has no leverage here, why would the UFC punish him if they can just make him do what they want?

because they cant make him do what they want...remember UFC 151?

Regardless how popular he is or how many ppv buys he gets, he's the p4p best fighter in the world (arguably). The UFC would have to have zero business sense to cut him.

If Jon Jones refuses to fight opponents that UFC want to set up, do you think that UFC could make an example out of him and fire him? He's not a huge draw I mean his highest ppv buy rate was when he faced Rashad years ago, and we all know Rashad is very marketable. He doesn't pull huge numbers, he's constantly complaining about who he's fight, pushing fights back, and attempting to pick his own fights. Is it possible UFC would make an example out of him and just plain out terminate his contract.

I mean Tito Ortiz was their biggest draw back in his first run in the UFC. He shared a lot of the same traits as Jones such as refusing to fight matches the UFC wanted to book. The only difference was he blatantly dissed Uncle Dana on multiple occasions and he was a much more popular star then Jon Jones. Going to show if you piss off the boss it doesn't matter how much money you're bringing in.. They'll fire you.

You can say all you want, and I'm not even a Jones hater. I wanted him to win the gold against Shogun. He promised to always stay humble and seemed like a good kid. I ate it up and thought Jones would be the best kind of champion. But money talks and changes people. These days it seems like Jones is the hardest fighter to deal with. His humbleness in my opinion has turned into selfishness. He's not a company man, he's indeed a Jon Jones man. What would your reaction be? Would you support this message sent to any champ or future champ, that you can't pick your own opponents

are you female?

Cut him? Absolutely not.
Strip him? Mmm, no.
Fine him? Maybe.

JBJ has 5 fights left on his current contract. If they cut him, not only would they still have to pay him for those fights, but the risk of having him go to Bellator and Viacom shelling out that "Viacom" money will make the UFC look bad. Also it would encourage other big name fighters to go to Bellator to get some of that "Viacom" money.

JBJ is in a lose-lose situation. To my knowledge, contracts only expire after you fight the amount of fights you signed for or the company cuts you. As great as JBJ is, the best thing for him to do is fight and not sit on the shelf. JBJ is acting like the kid who holds all his friends hostage because it's his football and he could go home at anytime if he doesn't get to play QB. JBJ is just a child trapped in a man's body. Any people wonder why he wasn't liked in high school and isn't liked now.

Last edited:
He's their most marketable star. Will never happen.

Sure he's signed by Nike. But has shown no sign buy rate wise that he's marketable. As for the Cormier fight I don't know if that's a huge ppv fight. Sure us hardcore fans would love to see it, but an average ufc fan who doesn't watch much programming will just order a ppv if it sounds appealing.. Do they really know who Cormier is? None of my friends do. They're not die hard like me but they are fans who order ppvs if they're two well known guys. I feel like it's like that every where. I wouldn't be shocked if Jones/Cormier disappointed in numbers. Nothing has shown me that Jones is a marketable star other then his nike signing, but if your a talented black athlete that's pretty much inevitable.

They would never allow the #1 p4p fighter in the world to go and dominate other organizations after all the scalps he has collected in the ufc. Dana could never realistically say UFC has the best fighter in the world.

I would love them to do something like that but it won't happen and would be a stupid business move in the first place.

Ok. So now the Bellator gets to say they have the best fighter in the world. What then? Where is the UFCs credibility now. Literally millions of people now start watching Bellator. Makes zero sense.

I appreciate the non-childish replies. It was just a scenario in my head that I wanted to share. Tito made ufc millions and was let go. They still could've made plenty of money off Tito then. Just wanted to see everyone's thoughts on this. I'm actually surprised Jones PPVs don't sell well. Thanks to everyone who's able to keep this mature, and not act like a thirteen year old behind a keyboard.

No, they should not and will not cut him to make an example out of him. I'd actually prefer he fight a new opponent like DC first anyway so I have no problem with this. If Gus is really that good then he'll still be around for a rematch down the road.

Ok. So now the Bellator gets to say they have the best fighter in the world. What then? Where is the UFCs credibility now. Literally millions of people now start watching Bellator. Makes zero sense.

Of course then bellator would get more numbers and spike would have the money to back it, but strikeforce had some pretty huge names, and look at them now. One fighter isn't going to tear down the UFC. I've always said competition is good for both parties. It could actually turn into a blessing in disguise for the UFC. I'm not trying to degrade Jon jones. If you were a fan of his from the start you have to be disappointed what he's turned into. Just very frustrating and I do believe he's in top 3 p4p rankings.

That makes zero business sense at all.
They would be cutting the man they tout as the #1 P4P fighter in the world to prove a point?

I am inclined to believe that even if Dana wanted to cut Bones Lorenzo would step in and stop Dana.

I don't want them to cut him, I want him to stick around so DC can destroy him.

Back