Could UFC make an example out of Jon Jones

Not even close. The guy is the most talented fighter they have yet still is not a ppv draw nor is he known by fans outside of the core MMA fans.

The problem is that right now there is NO big draw for the UFC. The Jones/Gus rematch is the biggest fight they could have right now, PPV wise. First one did only 300k, but with the hype the rematch should hit 500k.

Anderson won't be back until next year. GSP, if he fights again, it will be next year. Weidman may be a draw, but we don't know until he fights without Anderson. Cain and Hendricks look to be down to the 300k buy level, which is the worst Jones has done. The little guys don't sell much.

The reality is that the UFC doesn't have anyone to break that 500k PPV buyrate barrier right now and the only matchup that seems likely to do it is Jones/Gus. That means Jones has the negotiating power.

Never gonna happen. You think the NBA would ever tell LeBron James to go play somewhere else? Jones is the best fighter in the world right now and has a chance to go down as the best ever. Jones is the reason that big time companies like Nike and Gatorade are sponsoring fighters. If Jones goes they probably go too. People need to lay off the guy a bit. I don't recall any fights that have been pushed back because of him. All he's done so far is dominate all but one of his opponents. He's fought everyone in the division deserving of a title shot except Cormier so what's the big deal if that's the fight he wants next? He proved in the Gustaffson fight that his chin could hold up so let's see if someone can out-wrestle him.

The UFC brass needs to tell Jones that either him or Cormier is fighting Gus for the title. If Jones refuses to fight Gus he should be stripped of the title and then sign Cormier vs Gus as a title fight. Jon Jones doesn't own the UFC. He isn't the boss and he shouldn't be allowed to hand pick his next opponent.

Fight Gus or cut his ass.

It would make DC/Gus look like superstars, and make Jones look like a Bitch...

The problem is that right now there is NO big draw for the UFC. The Jones/Gus rematch is the biggest fight they could have right now, PPV wise. First one did only 300k, but with the hype the rematch should hit 500k.

Anderson won't be back until next year. GSP, if he fights again, it will be next year. Weidman may be a draw, but we don't know until he fights without Anderson. Cain and Hendricks look to be down to the 300k buy level, which is the worst Jones has done. The little guys don't sell much.

The reality is that the UFC doesn't have anyone to break that 500k PPV buyrate barrier right now and the only matchup that seems likely to do it is Jones/Gus. That means Jones has the negotiating power.

Pretty much this. Every UFC star is floating around 300k buys, saying Jones is the biggest draw is like saying you're the smartest guy in spec. ed class (which Rhonda's buy rate did much more than Gus/Jones). I think he's putting himself on a pedestal as the UFC's biggest star, draw and touch with the casuals, he might be, but again, it's not saying much. He is no where near GSP or Silva level, yet he's thinks he's on that level. Talent wise, yes, buy rate

Could they? Sure. Should they? Probably, depending on things I don't know.

There's plenty to be lost by letting a belt holder dictate which of his potential opponents he wants to face. There's an equal amount to be lost by letting a belt holder use his fight contract as a secondary negotiating tool on a fight by fight basis.

If they let this go unchecked for too long, they lose negotiating leverage with all of their champs, not just JBJ.

Cut him- No. But I could definitely see them yanking the strap.

Say he refuses to fight Gustafson, they could yank the strap and have Gustafson fight Cormier for the title. And make Johnny boy sit on the bench and fight either the loser of that fight or the winner of Rumble- Little Nog, with the winner of that getting a chance at the New Title holder.

And those subsequent matchups would be jokes. He'd be an even bigger favorite than he already is in championship fights. And anyone that knew what they were watching would understand that Jones was still the lineal champion.

They wouldn't cut him. The ufc has their champs by the balls. If he doesn't want to fight who they really want him to they could just sit him out in contract limbo like they did to Randy. Then he won't be fighting anyone anywhere until he agrees to fight

Could they? Sure. Should they? Probably, depending on things I don't know.

There's plenty to be lost by letting a belt holder dictate which of his potential opponents he wants to face. There's an equal amount to be lost by letting a belt holder use his fight contract as a secondary negotiating tool on a fight by fight basis.

If they let this go unchecked for too long, they lose negotiating leverage with all of their champs, not just JBJ.

Exactly! If Jones gets away with this - U can expect all other title holders to follow his lead...Dana & Frank are meeting with Jones tomorrow & they better put the brakes on this shit!

They wouldn't cut him. The ufc has their champs by the balls. If he doesn't want to fight who they really want him to they could just sit him out in contract limbo like they did to Randy. Then he won't be fighting anyone anywhere until he agrees to fight

True....very true...

I know this much. The drama surrounding this shit show of a negotiation only makes the fight that much more interesting.

the whole point of a forum is the open exchange of ideas and opinions. Someone had a thought and wondered what others thought. Oh no.

lol what if the ufc had barbwire fences and had demetrious johnson vs jds

And those subsequent matchups would be jokes. He'd be an even bigger favorite than he already is in championship fights. And anyone that knew what they were watching would understand that Jones was still the lineal champion.

I disagree. When they yanked the belt from Tito for refusing to fight Chuck, and Chuck was fighting Randy for the title, I think most people felt like that was a legit title fight.

Now that situation is a little different than Jones, as he already fought Gus once, but it's similar enough.

If JBJ does not step up and take Gus, I will be more than happy to consider the winner of Gus/Cormier the legit champ.

Exactly! If Jones gets away with this - U can expect all other title holders to follow his lead...Dana & Frank are meeting with Jones tomorrow & they better put the brakes on this shit!

Who fucking died and made you the decider of all that is good? I mean, we get it - you don't like Jones. He beat one of your heroes. Get over it already. He beat Gus fair and square in the first fight, and EVERY objective observer knows this. Yes, it was close. And yes, Jones won.

I've never seen such delusional fans as Gus apologists. He got his title fight by getting injured and NOT fighting. He lost, and then agreed to fight a guy outside the top 10 to hold his place, all the while Gus' fans were talking about how DANGEROUS the one dimensional opponent was. Sure thing. Meanwhile, Jones fought the number 3 LHW in the world. And people feel Gus is OWED something. Newsflash, he isn't.

I wonder why nobody shit their pants when GSP decided to pick his opponent (he hand picked Nick Diaz who was NOT the top contender at the time) because of some perceived slight. And nobody raised an eyelash. AND GSP retired after winning a controversial decision. Shit, if Jones did that shit this site would implode.

Jones is the champion. He should have some say in his career. If he doesn't want to fight Gus - Cormier is a viable option. If he doesn't want to fight DC, then strip him of the title, and make it a totally irrelevant piece of hardware.

Back