Could UFC make an example out of Jon Jones

A Brief Phone Conversation Between Bjorn and Jones

Bjorn: Welcome to Bellator Jones. We are very excited to have you and we have some great fights lined up.

Jones: You know me, Bjorn. I'll fight anyone, anywhere.

Bjorn: Great. You may not have heard about our latest roster coup, but we signed Gustaffson last week. We'd like to set up a bout between the two of you.

Jones: Alexander Gustaffson?

Bjorn: Yes. The fans are clamoring for a rematch. Our second PPV will be huge with you two as a main event!

Jones: ...

Bjorn: Hello? Hello?

line disconnects

fixed.

He's their most marketable star. Will never happen.

Hes a hell of a fighter and has legit sponsored. No chance hes getting cut is right.

I think he can even go on a super offensive twitter want and get away with a fucking fine lol.

For once id like to see a fighters who wants to get away from the ufc to go out on twitter and say done super offensive shit to get cut then come our and apologize to whatever people they offend plus make a good charitable donation to them. Lol, straight up use like the LGBT community for your own gain lol. Well maybe not them specifically because they'd use your donation money to ruin you publicly.

it will be the biggest mistake if they cut him. Ufc would plummet if they go down

I disagree. When they yanked the belt from Tito for refusing to fight Chuck, and Chuck was fighting Randy for the title, I think most people felt like that was a legit title fight.

Now that situation is a little different than Jones, as he already fought Gus once, but it's similar enough.

If JBJ does not step up and take Gus, I will be more than happy to consider the winner of Gus/Cormier the legit champ.

What makes you think most people had that understanding? Anyway, I thought he just lost his title to Randy Couture. It must have been an interim title you are talking about.

Anyway, Jones has a lot more title defenses. Saying he isn't the champion (while he is still actively fighting) because someone won what would essentially be a title fight eliminator would be silly.

They should. Jones ego too big and thinks he's bigger than the ufc... undisputed LHW fight fight beteeen DC and Gus is the way to go if he doesn't sign. No interim belt.

Even if they did fire Jones, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world to him. He has made more than enough money through fights and sponsors, and if he did stop fighting, either due to being fired or just not wanting to, he would probably be known as the goat. Plus he is still a young guy and can enjoy all of his money :)

Cutting or firing Jones would probably be the best thing that could happen to him. Offers would come from every direction, which would put him in a great place to renegotiate with the UFC.

If they really wanted to screw him, they'd strip him, starve him of decent fights and perhaps stick him in the prelims or undercard to finish his contract. IOW, cutting/firing a fighter under contract would be pretty lenient given the other ways the UFC can shaft them.

it would be foolish for uncle dana to release jones. he's still young and he's the champ and the ufc can still make more money off of his fights. however, i don't support jones in his refusal to fight gus in a rematch. there's five more fights left on his contract, jones will eventually have to fight gus in a rematch sooner or later. jones is being too stubborn for his own good.

Who fucking died and made you the decider of all that is good? I mean, we get it - you don't like Jones. He beat one of your heroes. Get over it already. He beat Gus fair and square in the first fight, and EVERY objective observer knows this. Yes, it was close. And yes, Jones won.

I've never seen such delusional fans as Gus apologists. He got his title fight by getting injured and NOT fighting. He lost, and then agreed to fight a guy outside the top 10 to hold his place, all the while Gus' fans were talking about how DANGEROUS the one dimensional opponent was. Sure thing. Meanwhile, Jones fought the number 3 LHW in the world. And people feel Gus is OWED something. Newsflash, he isn't.

I wonder why nobody shit their pants when GSP decided to pick his opponent (he hand picked Nick Diaz who was NOT the top contender at the time) because of some perceived slight. And nobody raised an eyelash. AND GSP retired after winning a controversial decision. Shit, if Jones did that shit this site would implode.

Jones is the champion. He should have some say in his career. If he doesn't want to fight Gus - Cormier is a viable option. If he doesn't want to fight DC, then strip him of the title, and make it a totally irrelevant piece of hardware.

Gus earned a rematch by how close the first fight with Jones was, more so when you take into account that Jones took more damage in that fight then all the rest of his fights put together.

GSP was a much longer running champion and asked for one fight, a fight that many had wanted to see for a long time and was after he fought the top contender.

Right now if looks very much as if Cormier is going to be out for awhile, so he is not the viable option you say. Also, with the fight against Gus being so close and Cormier being a good as he is stripping the title from Jones would not make the belt irrelevant.

Not even close. The guy is the most talented fighter they have yet still is not a ppv draw nor is he known by fans outside of the core MMA fans.

ATM no one can exactly claim to be a PPV star on their name alone.

this is the dumbest thread of the day...and thats saying a lot

The UFC will not cut the P4P #1, and the best LHW in the world. Its all a game.

Cut him, no.

They could strip him of the title or create an interm belt saying that Jones is rufusing to fight.

which would really dent him financially.

And they can refuse to renegotiate his contract, which would turn it up some more.

Just keep him on the shelf if he keeps on refusing.
They could cut him, I mean he would make little money in Bellator as they have average lhw talent. Would ppl pay to watch him fight Tito, Mo and Page?
It would be a major play and set an example for every fighter, doubt they would do it though.

I love the threads that have tons of conspiracy responses filled with wild dreams and, literally, none of the fantasies will ever come true. This is comedy gold seeing these posts oozing with wanton lust for Jones to go away.

Cut him, no.

They could strip him of the title or create an interm belt saying that Jones is rufusing to fight.

I could see this happening if jones won't give in. The jones and Diaz's of the ufc can sit, but no way they release them from their contract.

Yes let's cut the greatest fighter in the world and still claim that we are a legit sports organization. Oh how I long for the days where more people were pro fighter and anti-UFC. Anyone but Jones and they probably still would be on this issue.

Of course then bellator would get more numbers and spike would have the money to back it, but strikeforce had some pretty huge names, and look at them now. One fighter isn't going to tear down the UFC. I've always said competition is good for both parties. It could actually turn into a blessing in disguise for the UFC. I'm not trying to degrade Jon jones. If you were a fan of his from the start you have to be disappointed what he's turned into. Just very frustrating and I do believe he's in top 3 p4p rankings.

What has he turned into? A guy with a voice and his own opinion. A guy refusing to take it up the ass from uncle Dana White. He is saying he does not want to fight a man he already beat but instead wants to fight an undefeated challenger with an incredible resume. What the fuck are people even talking about when it comes to Jon Jones? The shit that they talk about him makes no sense.

Back